Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By ChattanoogaPhil
  • 1 Post By RustyIron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2019, 10:41 AM   #1

I just read a news blurb on a place called "The Intercept."

I read these things for two reasons. One I never heard of the organization, and being forewarned is being forearmed.

Two, being a hobbyist has taught me that sooner or later a libtard group is going to try to earn its merits on something I enjoy so they can trash it.

But a funny thing happened today. The premise of the story is that this group went after Gabby Gifford's husband, Captain Kelly. I read the article a bit, and then for some reason lost all interest.

It was like if all the people mentioned in the article--including both Kellys and all of the Intercept--formed a massive suicide pact and offed themselves but I decided to look at kitten pictures. I simply did not care.

While I was waiting for my appointment at the dentist's office, I found a copy of The Wisconsin State Journal. I thought it would be a way to shorten the wait. It took me only seven minutes to digest the entire news section.

I listen to Sean Hannity rant about TV news, but the startling events happening inside my country no longer strike a chord with me.

Is this happening to you?
Old 04-26-2019, 01:59 PM   #2

Pretty much. Hard to believe everything as is so nothing surprises me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:17 PM   #3

Have to keep things in perspective. 40 years ago there was no Internet news nor did cable news operators like CNN or FOX exist. Today there are a zillion "news" operations competing for the same space in yer head. 99% of the crap reported today wasn't reported at all in the past, and the competition to be first is so fierce that news outlets report unsubstantiated garbage just to be first with it.
2sharp2 and DaveinNC like this.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 04-26-2019 at 02:36 PM.
ChattanoogaPhil is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2019, 02:31 PM   #4

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
Have to keep things in perspective. 40 years ago there was no Internet news nor did cable news operators like CNN or FOX exist. Today their are a zillion "news" operations competing for the same space in yer head. 99% of the crap reported today wasn't reported at all in the past, and the competition to be first is so fierce that news outlets report unsubstantiated garbage just to be first with it.
True, sadly.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:51 PM   #5

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
I listen to Sean Hannity rant about TV news, but the startling events happening inside my country no longer strike a chord with me.
I used to listen to him when he had his radio show, but crossed him off my list about a dozen years ago when I realized he's just a loudmouth monkey toeing the line of the right wing fanatics. His vitriol is just another flavor of that spewed by Rachel Ray, John Stewart, Rush Limbaugh and other non-thinking blowhards.

These people get PAID for instilling fear and distrust among the American people. They're subversive to the stability of our society. We don't NEED them. Turn off the tv!

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 03:50 AM   #6

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
I used to listen to him when he had his radio show, but crossed him off my list about a dozen years ago when I realized he's just a loudmouth monkey toeing the line of the right wing fanatics.
I agree, I'm finding him more and more strident as time goes on.

But there's a problem, and not necessarily with him alone. The choices on our AM stations are quite limited. We have 1310AM, which is where Limbaugh and Hannity are found. Then there are two or three religious radio programs, and sometimes they have interesting topics, but it's hit or miss.

Then farther down the dial are the sports channels, which in my area are just two or three guys trashing some team and ending the first half hour with all three of them ranting over each other. A complete waste of time.

So at 2:00PM you get one hour of Hannity before local programming or nothing at all.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:03 AM   #7

The Intercept puts out metric tons of total shit. That's all I have to say about that.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 04:14 AM   #8

Originally Posted by JBear View Post
The Intercept puts out metric tons of total shit. That's all I have to say about that.
That's kind of why I started the thread, it was the first I heard of them. Frankly, I cannot tell one group of commentators from another. There's usually a "rant" in there somewhere.

Which dovetails into another observation. People don't debate anymore. If you mention in a forum that you like Wonder Bread, a guy who loves rye bread will trash your posts, take a shot at your religion and go find another one of your comments to derail.

This must be the the "new black." Now, I wouldn't mind a TV group doing some hard fought investigative journalism. But I'm finding that the late night whackos on Coast-to-Coast are more polite and make more sense than TV reporters.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:09 AM   #9

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
So at 2:00PM you get one hour of Hannity before local programming or nothing at all.
This is 2019. There's a newfangled contraption that the whippersnappers have come up with. They call it... podcast.

You can listen to a podcast on your iPhone, your iPad, your computer, your smart tv I think, and in your car if you stream your phone. In other words, you can listen anywhere. If you don't "get it," just as the twelve year old down the street to set you up.

There are a bazillion podcasts on any subject you can imagine from people as untalented as you and me, to people who are the best minds and speakers in the world.

Here are two things to get you started:

"The Way I Heard It," from Mike Rowe.
He's basically a good guy who can speak well and who is intelligent enough to spin a good yarn.

"TED Talks." Some subjects and speakers you'll dislike, others will inspire you.

Radio is like a bad restaurant in the middle of the desert. Listen to what they want you to hear, or go hungry. Podcasts are like an infinite smorgasbord where if you can't find what you want, it's your own fault.
cousinmark likes this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:35 AM   #10

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
This is 2019. There's a newfangled contraption that the whippersnappers have come up with. They call it... podcast.
LOL, and there's an old fashioned conflagration that overtakes you like that namesake's inferno, it's called "an old guy's nap."

I switch onto something, and usually before the first commercial I'm out. I can manage to stay awake for the Brewers' games, but that's a stretch.

This afternoon I have a job to finish for Chuck.