More Power To Ya - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree100Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2019, 06:54 AM   #1

More Power To Ya

No, this is not going to be a review on the Mighty 460 Roland.

My father-in-law is on oxygen 24/7 so I've been thinking about getting a whole house generator. I ruled out solar because if the power goes out at night that's not gonna do it for us.

I'm not too worried about short outages because we have a couple of dozen large oxygen bottles that we can transfer him to but if it goes out for an extended period of time we're concerned about losing all the food in our freezers plus running out of oxygen.

So I'm sitting here with my coffee this morning watching Fox news and the power goes off. ( just as Dana Loesch from the NRA was going to speak about the Venezuelan situation and the fact that Maduro took all their guns away three years ago and all they can do now is just March and get run over by a government Humvees).

But, I digress.

The weather is calm, there's nothing going on outside but it was off for maybe 10 minutes. That brought the whole idea of a generator back to the forefront.
Does anybody hear have one so that I can get some real input on brand?

At least I know what I'll be doing today. Resetting all the clocks on the VCRs, microwave, oven etc.

Last edited by Cucamonga kid; 05-02-2019 at 06:53 PM.
Cucamonga kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-02-2019, 07:41 AM   #2

Everyone that I know that has one has a Generac. My brother is an electrical contractor and he has a Generac which runs on natural gas which he has at his home.

Living in a hurricane prone area, lots of my neighbors have them also, but since there is no natural gas here, they run on LP fuel supplies. Don't have one myself, so can't tell you much except according to may brother they: 1) aren't cheap, and 2) need to tied into your house electrical system by a professional electrician, so your house doesn't go up in flames or your appliances don't get "fried".

Despite the many "oh I just did this" stories from shade tree mechanics, there are no shortcuts for properly and safely hooking a whole house generator into your home electric.
Jflytle, Cucamonga kid and wayne like this.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:57 AM   #3

We have natural gas coming into the house in case that was ever interrupted by a major power outage we're going to also have to set a large propane tank outside enough to last for a couple of weeks. And I have a friend who is an electrical contractor and will make sure that it's hooked up right so that automatically goes on when the grid goes down.
Bigdog likes this.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:20 AM   #4

I know a butt-ton of people who have Generacs, and quite a few who have Hondas. The Honda is generally quieter, more reliable and more efficient, but that's gasoline. Natural gas is the way to go if you can swing it, especially if you have it for something else already.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:27 AM   #5

From what I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that natural gas is pumped under pressure. So if we have a major grid meltdown we wouldn't have any gas either. That's why I'm going to have the propane tank set out in the backyard and hooked directly to the generator.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:30 AM   #6
Super Moderator

A lot of my neighbors have Generacs that run on natural gas with automatic transfer switches. 3 are happy with them, the 4th says he wishes he had gotten the next bigger size other then that he's happy. If I intended to stay here I'd have one installed tomorrow. I wired both of my houses wired to run on the 2 portable generators I have.
Cucamonga kid likes this.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:42 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
the 4th says he wishes he had gotten the next bigger size other then that he's happy.
I hear that, if we're going to go we're going big.
Chuck43 and wayne like this.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:02 AM   #8

Agreed. If it's not big enough to justify wiring into the house, it's probably not going to justify it's investment, and auto transfer switches are the bee's knees. Also, to correct my earlier post: I meant propane not natural gas. I actually was not aware of natural gas generators before this topic, I'm not sure how I goofed that.
Chuck43 and Cucamonga kid like this.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:10 AM   #9

I'm watching this with interest cause 3 years ago I was ready to buy a house generator, seemed every time the wind blew our power would go out, not counting storms. I guess all the dead trees have been blown down now cause it is better power staying on for the most part. We don't have enough snow to cause outages.
I still consider a house system purchase sometimes.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:03 AM   #10

If our power had gone off at 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning it could be life-threatening for my father-in-law because he is breathing 3 LPM through an electrically powered generator while he's sleeping. Since I was awake when it went off this morning I went into his room with a flashlight woke him up and set up an oxygen bottle for him. I'm guessing with the propane tank, the generator, the electrician and the plumber involved this could run me 7 to 8000 maybe a little higher. But it could be the difference between life and death for them.

Last edited by Cucamonga kid; 05-02-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Cucamonga kid is online now   Reply With Quote