Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2015, 06:44 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Sundown at Coffin Rock

Sundown at Coffin Rock
by Raymond K. Paden

The old man walked slowly through the dry, fallen leaves of autumn, his practiced eye automatically choosing the bare and stony places in the trail for his feet. There was scarcely a sound as he passed, though his left knee was stiff with scar tissue. He grunted occasionally as the tight sinews pulled. Damn chainsaw, he thought.

Behind him, the boy shuffled along, trying to imitate his grandfather, but unable to mimic the silent motion that the old man had learned during countless winter days upon this wooded mountain in pursuit of game. He's fifteen years old, the old man thought. Plenty old enough to be learning. But that was another time, another America. His mind drifted, and he saw himself, a fifteen-year-old boy following in the footsteps of his own grandfather, clutching a twelve gauge in his trembling hands as they tracked a wounded whitetail.

The leg was hurting worse now, and he slowed his pace a bit. Plenty of time. It should have been my own son here with me now, the old man thought sadly. But Jason had no interest, no understanding. He cared for nothing but pounding on the keys of that damned computer terminal. He knew nothing about the woods, or where food came from...or freedom. And that's my fault, isn't it?

The old man stopped and held up his hand, motioning for the boy to look. In the small clearing ahead, the deer stood motionless, watching them. It was a scraggly buck, underfed and sickly, but the boy's eyes lit up with excitement. It had been many years since they had seen even a single whitetail here on the mountain. After the hunting had stopped, the population had exploded. The deer had eaten the mountain almost bare until erosion had become a serious problem in some places. That following winter, three starving does had wandered into the old man's yard, trying to eat the bark off of his pecan trees, and he had wished the “animal rights” fanatics could have been there then. It was against the law, but old man knew a higher law, and he took an axe into the yard and killed the starving beasts. They did not have the strength to run.

The buck finally turned and loped away, and they continued down the trail to the river. When they came to the “Big Oak,” the old man turned and pushed through the heavy brush beside the trail and the boy followed, wordlessly. The old man knew that Thomas was curious about their leaving the trail, but the boy had learned to move silently (well, almost) and that meant no talking. When they came to “Coffin Rock,” the old man sat down upon it and motioned for the boy to join him.

“You see this rock, shaped like a casket?” the old man asked. “Yes sir.” The old man smiled. The boy was respectful and polite. He loved the outdoors, too. Everything a man could ask in a grandson ....or a son.

“I want you to remember this place, and what I'm about to tell you. A lot of it isn't going to make any sense to you, but it's important and one day you'll understand it well enough. The old man paused. Now that he was here, he didn't really know where to start.

“Before you were born,” he began at last, “this country was different. I've told you about hunting, about how everybody who obeyed the law could own guns. A man could speak out, anywhere, without worrying about whether he'd get back home or not. School was different, too. A man could send his kids to a church school, or a private school, or even teach them at home. But even in the public schools, they didn't spend all their time trying to brainwash you like they do at yours now.” The old man paused, and was silent for many minutes. The boy was still, watching a chipmunk scavenging beside a fallen tree below them.

“Things don't ever happen all at once, boy. They just sort of sneak up on you. Sure, we knew guns were important; we just didn't think it would ever happen in America. But we had to do something about crime, they said. It was a crisis. Everything was a crisis! It was a drug crisis, or a terrorism crisis, or street crime, or gang crime. Even a 'health care' crisis was an excuse to take away a little more of our rights.” The old man turned to look at his grandson.

“They ever let you read a thing called the Constitution down there at your school?” The boy solemnly shook his head. “Well, the Fourth Amendment's still in there. It says there won't be any unreasonable searches and seizures. It says you're safe in your own home.” The old man shrugged. “That had to go. It was a crisis! They could kick your door open any time, day or night, and come in with guns blazing if they thought you had drugs ...or later, guns. Oh, at first it was just registration -- to keep the guns out of the hands of criminals! But that didn't work, of course, and then later when they wanted to take 'em, they knew where to look. They banned 'assault rifles', and then 'sniper rifles', and 'Saturday night specials.' Everything you saw on the TV or in the movies was against us. God knows the news people were! And the schools were teaching our kids that nobody needed guns anymore. We tried to take a stand, but we felt like the whole face of our country had changed and we were left outside.”

“Me and a friend of mine, when we saw what was happening, we came and built a secret place up here on the mountain. A place where we could put our guns until we needed them. We figured some day Americans would remember what it was like to be free, and what kind of price we had to pay for that freedom. So we hid our guns instead of losing them.”

“One fellow I knew disagreed. He said we ought to use our guns now and stand up to the government. Said that the colonists had fought for their freedom when the British tried to disarm them at Lexington and Concord. Well, he and a lot of others died in what your history books call the 'Tax Revolt of 1998,' but son, it wasn't the revolt that caused the repeal of the Second Amendment like your history book says. The Second Amendment was already gone long before they ever repealed it. The rest of us thought we were doing the right thing by waiting. I hope to God we were right.”

“You see, Thomas. It isn't government that makes a man free. In the end, governments always do just the opposite. They gobble up freedom like hungry pigs. You have to have laws to keep the worst in men under control, but at the same time the people have to have guns, too, in order to keep the government itself under control. In our country, the people were supposed to be the final authority of the law, but that was a long time ago. Once the guns were gone, there was no reason for those who run the government to give a damn about laws and constitutional rights and such. They just did what they pleased and anyone who spoke out...well, I'm getting ahead of myself.”

“It took a long time to collect up all the millions of firearms that were in private hands. The government created a whole new agency to see to it. There were rewards for turning your friends in, too. Drug dealers and murderers were set free after two or three years in prison, but possession of a gun would get you mandatory life behind bars with no parole.

“I don't know how they found out about me, probably knew I'd been a hunter all those years, or maybe somebody turned me in. They picked me up on suspicion and took me down to the federal building.”

“Son, those guys did everything they could think of to me. Kept me locked up in this little room for hours, no food, no water. They kept coming in, asking me where the guns were. 'What guns?' I said. Whenever I'd doze off, they'd come crashing in, yelling and hollering. I got to where I didn't know which end was up. I'd say I wanted my lawyer and they'd laugh. 'Lawyers are for criminals', they said. 'You'll get a lawyer after we get the guns.' What's so funny is, I know they thought they were doing the right thing. They were fighting crime!”

“When I got home I found Ruth sitting in the middle of the living room floor, crying her eyes out. The house was a shambles. While I was down there, they'd come out and took our house apart. Didn't need a search warrant, they said. National emergency! Gun crisis! Your grandma tried to call our preacher and they ripped the phone off the wall. Told her that they'd go easy on me if she just told them where I kept my guns.” The old man laughed. “She told them to go to heck.” He stared into the distance for a moment as his laughter faded.

“They wouldn't tell her about me, where I was or anything, that whole time. She said that she'd thought I was dead. She never got over that day, and she died the next December.”

“They've been watching me ever since, off and on. I guess there's not much for them to do anymore, now that all the guns are gone. Plenty of time to watch one foolish old man.” He paused. Beside him, the boy stared at the stone beneath his feet.

“Anyway, I figure that, one day, America will come to her senses. Our men will need those guns and they'll be ready. We cleaned them and sealed them up good; they'll last for years. Maybe it won't be in your lifetime, Thomas. Maybe one day you'll be sitting here with your son or grandson. Tell him about me, boy. Tell him about the way I said America used to be.” The old man stood, his bad leg shaking unsteadily beneath him.

“You see the way this stone points? You follow that line one hundred feet down the hill and you'll find a big round rock. It looks like it's buried solid, but one man with a good pry bar can lift it, and there's a concrete tunnel right under there that goes back into the hill.”

The old man stood, watching as the sun eased toward the ridge, coloring the sky and the world red. Below them, the river still splashed among the stones, as it had for a million years. It's still going, the old man thought. There'll be someone left to carry on for me when I'm gone. It was harder to walk back. He felt old and purposeless now, and it would be easier, he knew, to give in to that aching heaviness in his left lung that had begun to trouble him more and more. Damn cigarettes, he thought. His leg hurt, and the boy silently came up beside him and supported him as they started down the last mile toward the house. How quiet he walks, the old man thought. He's learned well.

It was almost dark when the boy walked in. His father looked up from his paper. “Did you and your granddad have a nice walk?”

“Yes,” the boy answered, opening the refrigerator. “You can call Agent Goodwin tomorrow. Gramps finally showed me where it is.”

================================================== ================================================== ===========================
Editor's note: “Sundown at Coffin Rock” is a work of fiction. Any similarity to actual events or to actual people, living or dead, remains to be seen. - Mark Pixler, Editor
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This article was originally posted to the Internet by “Annonymous”.
This story originally appeared in "The Blue Press" (a catalog/magazine put out by Dillon Precision Products, Inc., 7442 Butherus Drive, Scottsdale, AZ 85260, phone 602-948-8009.) The editor, Mark Pixler, was kind enough to allow distribution on the Internet.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:26 PM   #2

Oh man!Cold ending Chuck.
MPO Southy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:44 PM   #3

Yeah ... but fiction!

Old 07-12-2015, 10:54 PM   #4

Unhappy

That story reads like something out of the Twilight Zone!!

So far, it is FICTION!!

Not so sure what the future holds. I hope and pray for better. I fear the world that my grandkids will inherit!!!

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:33 AM   #5

Remember what it would take to repeal the Second Amendment:

"Amendment proposals may be adopted and sent to the states for ratification by either:
  • Two-thirds (Supermajority) vote of members present—assuming that a quorum exists—in both the Senate and the House of Representatives of the United States Congress;
OR
  • By a Two-thirds (Supermajority) vote of a national convention called by Congress at the request of the legislatures of at least two-thirds (at present 34) of the states.
All thirty-three amendment proposals that have been sent to the states for ratification since the establishment of the Constitution have come into being via the Congress. State legislatures have however, at various times, used their power to apply for a national convention in order to pressure Congress into proposing a desired amendment. For example, the movement to amend the Constitution to provide for the direct election of U.S. Senators began to see such proposals regularly pass the House of Representatives only to die in the Senate from the early 1890s onward. As time went by, more and more state legislatures adopted resolutions demanding that a convention be called, thus pressuring the Senate to finally relent and approve what later became the Seventeenth Amendment for fear that such a convention—if permitted to assemble—might stray to include issues above and beyond just the direct election of U.S. Senators.

To become an operative part of the Constitution, an amendment, whether proposed by Congress or a national Constitutional Convention, must be ratified by either:
  • The legislatures of three-fourths (at present 38) of the states;
OR

• State ratifying conventions in three-fourths (at present 38) of the states.
Congress has specified the state legislature ratification method for all but one amendment. The ratifying convention method was used for the Twenty-first Amendment, which became part of the Constitution in 1933.

Since the turn of the 20th century, amendment proposals sent to the states for ratification have generally contained a seven year ratification deadline, either in the body of the amendment or in the resolving clause of the joint resolution proposing it. The Constitution does not expressly provide for a deadline on the state legislatures' or state ratifying conventions' consideration of proposed amendments. In Dillon v. Gloss (1921), the Supreme Court affirmed that Congress—if it so desires—could provide a deadline for ratification. An amendment with an attached deadline that is not ratified by the required number of states within the set time period is considered inoperative and rendered moot.
An amendment becomes operative as soon as it reaches the three-fourths of the states threshold. Then, once certified by the Archivist of the United States, it officially takes its place as an article of the Constitution." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consti...l_constitution

Changing the US Constitution is not an easy matter. Does anybody really believe that 3/4 of the state legislatures in our country would really ratify such a repeal of the Second Amendment, even if a 2/3 supermajority of both houses of Congress would ignore the wishes of voters to pass such a bill?

It ain't gonna happen, folks.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:38 PM   #6

Angry .....By Executive Order!!!

Richard, the current administration is well known for going around Congress, at will......and getting away with it!!! All it will take for Mr. Obama to, for all intents and purposes, do away with the second amendment is have an "emergency" and have him declare martial law. Within the thousands of pages of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) is an addendum that authorizes Mr. Obama to assemble and arm a Homeland Security Force, equal in size to the U.S. military and answerable only to him. Sounds like Hitler's SA brown shirts doesn't it?? Their function will be to round up the firearms, subversive individuals and to detain them in concentration camps. Some say that FEMA has already created the camps outside large cities, under the guise of emergency preparedness assembly points.

Do you think that he doesn't have the stones to activate his personal storm troopers? I would not put it past him. Are you willing to stand up to his security force???

Think about that as you keep telling yourself that it can't happen here!!! WELL, IT IS!!!!

NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member

Last edited by Lineman; 07-14-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:19 PM   #7

As with a lot of things that don’t sound likely, I investigated the claim that the ACA has a clause that establishes a “Homeland Security Force.” I usually agree with most of your opinions, Lineman, but not this time. The complete text of the affordable Care Act is 2,409 pages long in a PDF file, and can be found here: http://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/rights...protection.pdf

A search of the document for the words “Homeland Security Force” returns no reference to these words. The document is, by the way, a copy that is “Certified by the Superintendent of Documents” at the United States Government Printing Office. It appears that this claim is just another lie that is being perpetrated on the American people by a bunch of fanatical ideologues.

Unless, of course, the original author of those words meant the National Health Care Workforce Commission as set forth in Sec. 5101, which has the purpose of advising the President, states and localities while coordinating with the Department of Health and Human Services, the Department of Labor, the Department of Homeland Security, the Department of Veteran’s Affairs, and the Department of Education, using its statute-limited 15 members – hardly a force “equal in size to the US military.”

So, no! It doesn’t sound at all like Hitler’s Brown Shirts. It’s also NOT happening here! The President does not have the authority to rescind the US Constitution, and if he ever tried, his impeachment would set a new record for speedy results in American Congressional politics. The country would have a new President in less than 24 hours . . .

Old 07-18-2015, 01:10 AM   #8

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Richard View Post
As with a lot of things that don’t sound likely, I investigated the claim that the ACA has a clause that establishes a “Homeland Security Force.” I usually agree with most of your opinions, Lineman, but not this time. The complete text of the affordable Care Act is 2,409 pages long in a PDF file, and can be found here: http://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/rights...protection.pdf

A search of the document for the words “Homeland Security Force” returns no reference to these words. The document is, by the way, a copy that is “Certified by the Superintendent of Documents” at the United States Government Printing Office. It appears that this claim is just another lie that is being perpetrated on the American people by a bunch of fanatical ideologues.

Unless, of course, the original author of those words meant the National Health Care Workforce Commission as set forth in Sec. 5101, which has the purpose of advising the President, states and localities while coordinating with the Department of Health and Human Services, the Department of Labor, the Department of Homeland Security, the Department of Veteran’s Affairs, and the Department of Education, using its statute-limited 15 members — hardly a force “equal in size to the US military.”

So, no! It doesn’t sound at all like Hitler’s Brown Shirts. It’s also NOT happening here! The President does not have the authority to rescind the US Constitution, and if he ever tried, his impeachment would set a new record for speedy results in American Congressional politics. The country would have a new President in less than 24 hours . . .
Obviously Obama's security force is not exactly named the "National Security Force", so therefore a search for that specific text within the contents of the ACA would not turn up a hit on that exact criterion. This addendum to the ACA has been spoken of by way too many responsible people to be untrue, including Congressmen and Senators. The organization pointed out to fill the role of the security force is most often calculated to be FEMA!! All that is needed is to arm them. The already have "huge emergency preparedness" facilities outside most major cities. Satellite photos show thousands of what appears to be fiberglass or plastic coffins. What are they for?? Why did the Federal government need to purchase 6 million rounds of ammunition, not for the military, but for domestic use?? Remember all the empty ammo shelves at the sporting goods stores and gun shops? Hmmm?

Mr. Obama and friends have circumvented the Constitution and by passed Congress so many times now that it is no longer news worthy anymore. So far these tactics have gone completely unchallenged. Congress has done absolutely nothing to check Obama's usurping the authority of the legislative branch of the government. Obama declaring martial law does not strike me as much beyond his previous power grabs, tactics and agendas. All he needs is the excuse!!

As for that speedy impeachment you spoke of, Richard, get a good picture in your mind of the new president: JOE BIDEN!! Ready for that??? Hopefully you are right and I and others are completely wrong. I'd rather it was that way. But Obama scares the hell out of me and always has!!

NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member

Last edited by Lineman; 07-18-2015 at 01:19 AM.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:18 AM   #9

Chuck, story read so well, I mean I really got into it, then the ending! I was recalling walks with my own grandfather and how much I would love to be holding his hand this very moment. One thing I know for sure, I would not have given up my grandfathers secrets.
Deputy347k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:14 AM   #10

Originally Posted by lineman73 View Post
Obviously Obama's security force is not exactly named the "National Security Force", so therefore a search for that specific text within the contents of the ACA would not turn up a hit on that exact criterion. This addendum to the ACA has been spoken of by way too many responsible people to be untrue, including Congressmen and Senators. The organization pointed out to fill the role of the security force is most often calculated to be FEMA!! All that is needed is to arm them. The already have "huge emergency preparedness" facilities outside most major cities. Satellite photos show thousands of what appears to be fiberglass or plastic coffins. What are they for?? Why did the Federal government need to purchase 6 million rounds of ammunition, not for the military, but for domestic use?? Remember all the empty ammo shelves at the sporting goods stores and gun shops? Hmmm?

Mr. Obama and friends have circumvented the Constitution and by passed Congress so many times now that it is no longer news worthy anymore. So far these tactics have gone completely unchallenged. Congress has done absolutely nothing to check Obama's usurping the authority of the legislative branch of the government. Obama declaring martial law does not strike me as much beyond his previous power grabs, tactics and agendas. All he needs is the excuse!!

As for that speedy impeachment you spoke of, Richard, get a good picture in your mind of the new president: JOE BIDEN!! Ready for that??? Hopefully you are right and I and others are completely wrong. I'd rather it was that way. But Obama scares the hell out of me and always has!!
I have downloaded the entire document, so I am able to look at it at my leisure on my computer. FEMA is not mentioned in the document at all. Not even once. There is no language in the law that could possibly be construed as the creation of a separate and independent security force. Not any kind of text with any choice of words. None! If you (or others) have found such text, you should be able to quote it and provide the portion of the law (Section Number) that it is taken from.

“Responsible people” that include Congressmen and Senators?? You’re kidding, Lineman, right? We always know when a politician is lying because his lips are moving. I don’t believe a word of it and you shouldn’t either – unless the exact words can be shown to you, and can be proven to exist within the text of the law. As soon as somebody starts spewing nonsense like that, you should insist on seeing the proof. So far, nobody has been able to provide any.

When you consider the size of the purchases that the General Services Administration (GSA) makes on a regular basis, and when you consider the number of federal law enforcement agencies that require mandatory practice and re-qualification with firearms, then 67 million rounds is not such a big purchase, IMO. Besides, the ammunition shortage (which is not over, by the way), has been largely caused by gun owners hoarding ammunition, and by gouging on prices in order to make money. I have seen it before with other products, and you have too. Gasoline comes to mind. The shelves are still largely empty of some calibers of ammunition where I live, and some brands of ammo are still unavailable. As recently as last month, I was not able to find a particular brand of .45 ACP ammo that I have used in the past. I am on an “alert” list to be notified when the ammo is available but, so far, nada.

President Obama has done nothing that the four Presidents who immediately preceded him have not also done, and done even more. There is a lot of howling about the President issuing Executive Orders, but he has issued fewer than any of the most recent other four Presidents with the exception of President George H. W. Bush (the Senior), who only served a single term in office. President Obama is not likely to be able to exceed the number of Executive Orders issued by President Ronald Reagan. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_order

Getting your news from talk radio is hazardous, Lineman. Those guys don’t hesitate for an instant to lie and distort. I hate to tell you this, but if you want to know what is really going on in your country, you have to do your own research. You can’t believe anything you hear on the radio, and very little of what you see on television. It is a sad state of affairs.

You need to remember that a President is not a king. Presidents serve at the will of the people, and with the permission of the Congress, and not the other way around. Why do you think that Joe Biden would take the same actions that would get his predecessor in the White House impeached? Do you believe that the Congress couldn’t also impeach him? Are you aware that a Republican, John Boehner, would then become President? ‘Cause that’s what would happen.

I hate to tell you this, but I’m afraid that you and others are completely wrong. Sorry.