• 1 Post By Chuck43
  • 2 Post By Rick in Oregon
  • 2 Post By RustyIron
  • 2 Post By Rick in Oregon
  • 2 Post By Preacher

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2019, 04:38 PM   #1

Highwaymen: Cool guns

Mrs. Iron and I watched a pretty good movie last night. She wasn't initially enthused, but after it was over, she said she liked it.

It's Highwaymen, which you can find on Netflix. It stars Kevin Costner (the Dances with Wolves guy) and Woody Harrelson (Cheers). It's about the two Texas Rangers who get called out of retirement to hunt down Bonnie & Clyde.

It's not another gangster-style movie like so many that have already been done. It's more about the relationship of the two Rangers doing things the old-school way, versus the modern G-Men with their newfangled ideas. The Bonnie & Clyde part is just the basis upon which the story is built.

Oh, and there's guns... a lot of cool guns. There's not a lot of shooting, though. If that's what you want, you'll have to wait for John Wick 3.
Chuck43 and Rick in Oregon like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-07-2019, 05:18 PM   #2

Mrs. Bear and I watched that a month or so ago. We enjoyed it. Interesting take, sort of refreshing to have a big budget actor Hollywood production that didn't romanticize the [criminal] doomed lovers, and showed them for what they were.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:52 PM   #3

I saw it when it first came out too. It was better than expected, and I really liked the fact the whole slant was from the enforcement angle. They really made them out to be the vicious killers they were. A lot of those movies tend to make them heroes.

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
KCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2019, 06:31 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I watched it on Netflix a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was a great movie, they couldn't have found better actors to play Frank Hamer and Maney Gault.
Rick in Oregon likes this.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:29 PM   #5

I've watched the movie and am very familiar with the history of this era. Well done, accurate and as has been mentioned, shows the story from the LE angle, and does not glorify the criminals.

That said, if you enjoy a very good read based on this part of our '30's history by a very pro 2A author, "G-Men" by Stephen Hunter is highly recommended.

His research on these events was meticulous, and his delivery is spot-on. If you are not familiar with his work, he's the author of "Point of Impact", the basis for the movie "Shooter" with Mark Whalberg.

Hunter's rendition of the gunfights and the guns involved will be appreciated by those who reside here, I promise.
Chuck43 and KCJeep like this.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:16 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
I've watched the movie and am very familiar with the history of this era.
Color me impressed. I never would have guessed that your memory was that good.
😆:-)

Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Well done, accurate and as has been mentioned, shows the story from the LE angle, and does not glorify the criminals.
Hmmm... The writers craftily tossed in a bit of sobering irony. On the one hand, Bonnie and Clyde were idolized by the public, despite being cold blooded killers. The Rangers, on the other hand, were disliked and distrusted by the public, despite being enforcers of the law, but were killers all the same.

I think the moral of the story is that killing's a bad thing, and you'll be best off if you don't get involved in that sort of stuff.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:10 AM   #7

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
Color me impressed. I never would have guessed that your memory was that good.
Yup, can't remember what I had for dinner last evening either, but it's called reading, Rusty, you know, the thing we do with books......
Chuck43 and RustyIron like this.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:13 AM   #8

I just saw this movie a few weeks ago. I wasn't expecting much but was very surprised. It was excellent! I too was glad to see this movie not romanticizing Bonnie and Clyde.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote