The Next Big Thing!! - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2015, 11:36 AM   #1

Angry The Next Big Thing!!

Per Fox News, President Obama is considering restricting people collecting Social Security payments from owning firearms!!! According to Fox News, this represents 4.2 million Americans.

Is this guy serious or does he really want a revolution??
Nellybelle and Deputy347k9 like this.

Obama called me a CLINGER! Terrorists call me an INFIDEL!
Hillary calls me DEPLORABLE! Trump calls me an AMERICAN!!

Kimber Stainless Ultra Raptor II .45 ACP
Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP
NRA Member 45+ Years
Georgia Carry.Org Member
Wounded Warrior Project Supporter
Lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-20-2015, 12:54 PM   #2

Yet Social Security recipients do and will continue to kill and injure more people with cars than with guns. But gun ownership is a right and driving is not. I see far more folks incompetent of safely operating a motor vehicle.

This is not a slam against seniors as I am close to be classed as one. But there will come a day when we should all quit driving....and probably playing with guns.

Though I hope to die before that happens.

The problem here is mental health is not a 2+2=4 science. And these vague definitions will get more put on the list.

When will the stupidity end? We want to add our own law biding citizens to no gun and no whatever lists that will be enforced more than the no fly list of the no re-entry into the country illegally list.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:59 PM   #3

Originally Posted by lineman73 View Post
Per Fox News, President Obama is considering restricting people collecting Social Security payments from owning firearms!!! According to Fox News, this represents 4.2 million Americans.

Is this guy serious or does he really want a revolution??
Sounds like Fox News got it wrong again.

What the Obama Administration wants to do is to direct the Social Security Administration (SSA) to provide the names of those Social Security recipients who have been deemed mentally incompetent to manage their own affairs by directly receiving their Social Security benefits to the FBI for inclusion in the NICS database. If a retiree has such acute mental disabilities that he/she cannot manage his/her own finances, should they be able to purchase and carry a gun, or drive a car? I think it is a valid question, and I am getting closer to the point where my name could be added to the database.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:01 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Mike240 View Post
Yet Social Security recipients do and will continue to kill and injure more people with cars than with guns. But gun ownership is a right and driving is not. I see far more folks incompetent of safely operating a motor vehicle.

This is not a slam against seniors as I am close to be classed as one. But there will come a day when we should all quit driving....and probably playing with guns.

Though I hope to die before that happens.

The problem here is mental health is not a 2+2=4 science. And these vague definitions will get more put on the list.

When will the stupidity end? We want to add our own law biding citizens to no gun and no whatever lists that will be enforced more than the no fly list of the no re-entry into the country illegally list.
What is vague about somebody being declared mentally incompetent to manage his or her own finances? I guess I don't understand your point.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:30 PM   #5

Gee, I think I'd like to pass legislation that denies elected officials the privilege of collecting any benefits if they were born in a foreign country--let's say Kenya, just as an example...
Old 07-20-2015, 02:01 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Richard View Post
What is vague about somebody being declared mentally incompetent to manage his or her own finances? I guess I don't understand your point.
Managing finances is easy to figure out. It's all the other pyscho babble that gets cloudy. Being bad with numbers shouldn't be a disqualifier. I get it if your memory is so bad you can't remember which end the bullet exits. But there is a lot of middle ground. And poor diagnosis and definitions of the thousands of disorders is putting young veterans on the list that should not be. The VAs list has caused trouble for some cops that served in Iraq but sought some help through group therapy. That is BS.

The link I saw from Fox just linked an LA Times story. So if Fox just reported on the story and cited LAT as the source then they were not wrong. Maybe LAT was.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:01 PM   #7

Richard, over the two decades that I was a LEO I can not begin to tell you how many cases I was assigned that involved "elderly" (those drawing social security)" that their children were attempting to have them declared not able to handle their own affairs. We actually had a number of cases that the courts favorably endorsed the petition, only to have the children sell off all the assets and eventually have the parents put into a nursing or assisted living home. There were cases where their own children would remind the court their parent (s) had their operators license taken away due to age and should not be "playing" with firearms! Money knows no shame. One case I will never forget involved an elderly man (wife deceased) who had a home valued over $300K. His daughter was attempting to have him committed and found mentally unstable to handle his financial affairs. I first met the individual when he was operating a vehicle that he had designed and built! In his younger day this individual had been an engineer for NASA. I happened to observe the vehicle being operated on a public way, no headlights (said it was daytime, what's the problem), no registration of vehicle inspection. Daughter came to the scene demanding I have this elder committed. Only 1/4 of a mile from his home I told him to get the car home and promise me he would not operate it on a public way. I did follow him home, thank God I did. When inspecting the garage I found this is also where the elderly gent lived, daughter and her son lived in the $300K home with all the comforts. She would even pass his meals out through a little "pet door" that was built into the regular household door. Checking with Florida I quickly found why they left that State. Florida was filing paperwork against the daughter for elderly abuse and theft of hundreds of thousands of dollars. We had her and the grandson evicted from the home. Located a wonderful niece in Florida that had been looking for him.

With the right attorney anyone could be found mentally incompetent.
Chuck43 and patton53 like this.
Deputy347k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 02:09 PM   #8

Unhappy it's about who's doing the declaring!

If a returning military vet seeks help clearing up his/her finances the institution assisting will be able to make the judgement call. There are already a couple of cases being fought over just such 'incompetence'. I use this example since I've read of it in more than one instance, in either NRA, Tea Party or one of the gun rights orgs that I follow. Sorry I can't be more specific
Deputy347k9 likes this.
patton53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:21 PM   #9

At the end of the day it's just another leftie with new plan to grab guns.

I believe King Leonidas already addressed this issue when speaking to a foreign black man about his trusted citizens and their personal defensive implements.
Lineman likes this.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:41 PM   #10

I think we have enough laws to handle this kind of thing. I don't think the Social Security Administration, or the federal government for that matter, needs to be involved in gun control. This kind of stuff is already addressed by most states.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

john cleave webb hells angel

Click on a term to search for related topics.