...I think I finally understand bikers... - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2015, 09:23 AM   #1

...I think I finally understand bikers...

Conventional scooter trash history opines that the golden age of motorcycling spanned from 1947 to 1972. Everything you view as a stereotypical of the group was conceived, invented and then implemented during that time. After that the whole thing went vanilla, and even Honda and Yamaha had V-twins.

And while stories like Robin Hood and The Dukes of Hazard are popular, I could never figure out why traditional bikers evolved like they did until just a few days ago.

You know the breed. Cocky, yet dependable to friends. Flirtatious, yet honorable. Dangerous, yet restrained. A wink and a nod to law enforcement, who chased them but probably were amenable off the clock.

And all of that black. I mean black bikes, black leather clothing, black boots, even black gauntlets. They are so tied to that color that Harley MoCo even mentions it in their video "Live By It."

For baby-boomers--who always did, said and thought the same thing at every moment due to television--this seems like a natural existence. But I could never figure out why. All I knew was that I was born to it, and thinking or doing anything else seemed to be a slovenly compromise.

Now, it's been raining here in my area just about every other day, and I've been bored. I was poking around on YouTube, and I stumbled across most of the Disney episodes of Zorro, starring Guy Williams--who is actually Italian, not Hispanic. And suddenly the light went on!

Every baby boomer boy was glued to his TV set at 7:00 PM on Thursday nights. Unlike the character Superman, Zorro had a rather loose opinion on law and order. He veered from conventional wisdom, he fought when he had to, he flirted, he rode hard and fast, and there was all of that black...

One pundit stated that everything he needed to know was taught in kindergarten. I'll meet that man half-way. But every ideal I still hold dear was presented by Zorro.

In fact, a lot of the cops I joke with look a tad like Sergeant Garcia...
glokrok likes this.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:35 AM   #2

...I think I finally understand bikers...

Sux here too. Either rain or super hot and balmy. Once you go black, you never go back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - USCAA - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II

Last edited by bhunted; 07-21-2015 at 01:19 PM.
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:13 PM   #3

Oh, it get's better.

Just got back from an 80 mile ride. I was leaning slightly forward to do a 180 turn-around, and I happened to look at myself right up close in the mirror.

I do not know why, but I was startled to see that I was wearing a black mask.

I've been wearing an RZ mask for about five years. It's just second nature for me to Velcro it on while the bike warms up. But I don't look at myself that much wearing the thing.

Then I thought about this post again...

Old 07-21-2015, 01:28 PM   #4

Dude! You're saying that every biker is a frustrated latch-key kid trying to be cool like his tv heroes? Like the little kid wearing a Ninja Turtle mask? Or the teenager wearing a Lakers jersey? Bwahahahahahaha! Maybe you're right...

We have quite a thriving bike culture here in SoCal. Aside from the regular "street cruiser/freeway rider" types who aren't worth mentioning, there are two factions. There are the Harley types, who seem to like the cruising the roads to get to their roadhouse destination. These seem to be mostly grayhairs. The others are the sport bike riders, who enjoy the twisty mountain roads. These are mostly the younger guys. The Harley types dress in black, the Sportbike types dress in bright colors. But there is crossover... sometimes you see Harley riders with sport bike riders <gasp>.

Because roadhouses and twisty roads are in the mountains, our worlds intersect. I think they look at us mountainbike riders as "Ok, but kinda like pu$$ies for riding machines that put out 3/4 horse at best." We look at them as "Ok, but kinda like pu$$ies for being too weak to ride a real bike."

Our tribe has its own celebrity fanboys, as well. If the big-name factory rider is sporting 27.5" wheels and a 1x11 drivetrain, the by golly they'll plunk down thousands so they can be just like him. I recently started riding with guy who is younger than me. He rides newer bikes, and he's actually stronger. But I'm older with experience in the big wilderness--beyond where most people are comfortable being. That makes us a good match. So we're kind of like Marlon Brando and Peter Fonda... or Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson... or Bugs and Daffy.

So Tourist, it might be time to trade in that silly little folding knife and get yourself a hat, a cape, and a sword. Playing dress-up doesn't make you a bad person.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZorroTheGayBlade961.jpg (60.1 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by RustyIron; 07-21-2015 at 01:34 PM.
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:08 PM   #5

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
Dude! So Tourist, it might be time to trade in that silly little folding knife and get yourself a hat, a cape, and a sword. Playing dress-up doesn't make you a bad person.
LOL, don't denigrate the idea so fast. Think about all the heroes in history, and then think about all of the "anti-heroes" that came when we were younger.

For example, my dad had "Joe Friday." I had "Dirty Harry." Even Humphrey Bogart did the right thing at the end of Casablanca. Heck, I'd have tossed that milquetoast pretender off the plane, swept Ingrid Bergman off her feet, and left the fascists tough it out with the French.

But 'boomer heroes are always flawed, even if we paint them as lovable rogues. Zorro wanted to do good, but was having a grand ol' time being a pain in the side of the authorities--which is an apt description of everyone I rode with...