Now that it's over, I can explain. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2019, 08:19 AM   #1

Now that it's over, I can explain.

Admittedly, I have not been an altogether member here. I realize my responses have been terse, and I haven't been as helpful I should be. There is/was a reason, and I hope you understand. I'm going to come clean.

It all started in Milwaukee in 1953. As odd as it sounds, the hot new ideology at that time for treatment of swollen tonsils was radiation. At the age of three, I had my head and neck jammed into a machine, and for three 'treatments,' I was given a blast of radium.

As this was administered, my thyroid was in the "cone' of this blast.

Fast forward +30 years. My wife started acting odd--and I mean odder than usual. An examination revealed nodes on her thyroid. The real surprise was when she went in for surgery--half of her thyroid was dessicated, and the other half bloated. The surgeon had no choice but to remove the entire gland.

I saw her that night and into the morning. She was her old self. Her thyroid had been poisoning her.

A few months ago I went in for screening and scanning of my jaw, which had become inflamed. By dumb luck, this scan also revealed a portion of my thyroid by accident. A two centimeter node appeared.

Over the past few days I got ready for the worst. I saw a new doctor who gave me a complete exam. Again, I am a 69 year old man with the body of a guy in his early 50's. I did so to become a good, focused patient for my biopsy.

Using an MRI scanner, a nurse monitored my thyroid, and a doctor made three passes through the node with a special needle that removed cells from differing locations. I was told that I would hear about my condition in one week.

In another odd twist of fate, I got a call last night. The nurse told me that I had had a "goiter node" and that all tests revealed that everything was 'benign.' You have no idea how beautiful that word is when you are on the receiving end!

And so to the forum, please forgive me for being so self-centered, remote and uninvolved. It has been a month of worry, and now it's over. I hope happier times are ahead.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:37 AM   #2

Chico, glad to hear you and your wife are doing well.
Chuck43 and bhunted like this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:46 AM   #3

Yup, my wife has been her usual self. In fact, she tells me that she had told her surgeon not to try and save a portion of her thyroid and parathyroids. She had gotten frustrated with her mood swings and fears.

She looked the cutter right in the eye and demanded, "Take the whole thing out!"

She can be a a real forceful package. The surgeon obeyed.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:02 AM   #4

Glad you kids got all patched up.

Don't be so quick to write off the radium.
Properly administered, it can cure a host of problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Radio-X-Suppositories.jpg (14.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: png radium-bums.png (251.6 KB, 6 views)
Chuck43 and Bigdog like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:27 AM   #5

LOL, 'Iron, leave it to you to find the "joke in the poke."

BTW, where were you when I needed you? They stripped me down, took me to an operatory, then admitted my wife and a class of students.

I had my jeans on and my brown motorcycle boots, it was clear I was a biker. But get this, I had not yet been given the syringe loaded with anesthetic. I looked up at the doctor and said, "Ya' know, doc, you're going to stick me in a section of thin skin, and I might react to the pain--in front of the students!"

Nothing I could do. He jabbed me, I bit down, and didn't make a sound. Having that embarrassing procedure done, I actually relaxed.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:21 AM   #6

You guys have my respect.

Thanks for sharing.
Chuck43 likes this.
Bish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:11 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Bish View Post
You guys have my respect.
Actually, considering the procedure, I'm a big coward.

If I could have traded with you--and give you money to boot--you would have let me trade the "needle" for three angry drunken townies and one arm tied behind my back.

Being a biker is something I know. Being a "patient" scares me more than I can describe.
Chuck43, bhunted, DaveinNC and 1 others like this.

Last edited by The Tourist; 06-08-2019 at 01:30 PM.
The Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Chico, glad to hear that you and your wife are on the road to recovery.
bhunted likes this.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:51 PM   #9

Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
Admittedly, I have not been an altogether member here. I realize my responses have been terse, and I haven't been as helpful I should be. There is/was a reason, and I hope you understand. I'm going to come clean.

It all started in Milwaukee in 1953. As odd as it sounds, the hot new ideology at that time for treatment of swollen tonsils was radiation. At the age of three, I had my head and neck jammed into a machine, and for three 'treatments,' I was given a blast of radium.

As this was administered, my thyroid was in the "cone' of this blast.

Fast forward +30 years. My wife started acting odd--and I mean odder than usual. An examination revealed nodes on her thyroid. The real surprise was when she went in for surgery--half of her thyroid was dessicated, and the other half bloated. The surgeon had no choice but to remove the entire gland.

I saw her that night and into the morning. She was her old self. Her thyroid had been poisoning her.

A few months ago I went in for screening and scanning of my jaw, which had become inflamed. By dumb luck, this scan also revealed a portion of my thyroid by accident. A two centimeter node appeared.

Over the past few days I got ready for the worst. I saw a new doctor who gave me a complete exam. Again, I am a 69 year old man with the body of a guy in his early 50's. I did so to become a good, focused patient for my biopsy.

Using an MRI scanner, a nurse monitored my thyroid, and a doctor made three passes through the node with a special needle that removed cells from differing locations. I was told that I would hear about my condition in one week.

In another odd twist of fate, I got a call last night. The nurse told me that I had had a "goiter node" and that all tests revealed that everything was 'benign.' You have no idea how beautiful that word is when you are on the receiving end!

And so to the forum, please forgive me for being so self-centered, remote and uninvolved. It has been a month of worry, and now it's over. I hope happier times are ahead.
You were terse, self centered and so on? Bah! Never noticed. Still love ya man! Terse away!
Glad you are both well.
Ice-and-Snow and wayne like this.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:13 PM   #10

Glad to hear you're alright dude.
...On the "terseness", hey that's part of the charm!!! C'mon, some of us come here for entertainment. Hemingway and Steinbeck both employed colorful language to add depth to their works! I get plenty of polite conversation at work. Don't go getin' too vanilla on us Tourist :-)
bhunted and wayne like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote