Doggonit - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2019, 11:20 AM   #1

Doggonit

IMG_1486.JPGWell the saga continues. Yesterday walking Oscar we got rushed by a barking growling black lab that came charging out of a guys garage. I had to scoop Oscar up really quick and shoe that dog off. Fortunately the owner started screaming at it to come back and he left us alone. Today walking by another house I didn't notice it until the last minute but a pitbull came running after us out into the street after Oscar. I scooped him up and was ready to taze him with my baton when I saw the owner and yelled at her to call her dog off. She informed me that he was only a puppy, six months old and just wanted to play. Well maybe that was true but I'm not going to wait until the dog attacks Oscar to figure that out. Did I mention that it was a pitbull? He was a half a second away from being shocked.
I'm rethinking this walking Oscar thing because he's been physically attacked twice and I've had to intervene and kick the other dogs off of him. He's just a magnet for big dogs and when they go nose to nose and Oscar barks and the other dogs attack. And with his size one bite from a large dog and it's over.
Oh I almost forgot there was a third time this year I was talking to a neighbor in his driveway when his dog rushed out; they went nose to nose, Oscar barked and his big dog picked Oscar up off the ground by his head or Oscar had ahold his nose I'm not sure which. That time the owner kicked his own dog and threw him in the backyard.
The little guy is just a magnet for other dogs because he so small and he depends, whether he knows or not, solely upon me for his protection. I don't want to have to hurt anybody's dog to defend him but I would if that's what it came down to.
We live out in the burbs in a fairly nice neighborhood with 1 acre lots and people are not too careful about keeping the dogs under control and I'm wondering if one of these times it's going to go real bad for Oscar. I think I might have to find another form of exercise for him. But he sure loves his walks he reminds me every morning at 10 AM then again at 2 PM to go get the mail and again about 6 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:33 AM   #2

Cuca, we've got similar circumstances here with our two girl Basset Hounds. Just about any dog is taller then them, and when a dog comes blasting out of it's yard to 'greet', there's no telling if it's an attack or just the "meet 'n greet" dog thing.

Like you, I'm ready to defend my pups with both levels of protection, but I just hope it never comes to that. Pit Bulls make me nervous too; yet another reason for the EDC. Why folks just can't contain their dogs has always remained a mystery to me.

Good luck on your next walk.....
2sharp2, Tejun and Cucamonga kid like this.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:37 AM   #3

Might not hurt to have your own dog on a leash also.
Cucamonga kid likes this.
AZ Husker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2019, 11:39 AM   #4

Taking your dog out for a walk should be a relaxing time. Maybe drive somewhere close by where there's fewer people and their dogs. I take Coondog out early in the morning and evening to the woods or to the school when not open. She runs off-leash. It's really nice to be out in the woods with Coondog, and of course she totally digs the freedom. And she's earned her freedom with obedience.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5230.jpg (5.04 MB, 3 views)
2sharp2, Tejun and Cucamonga kid like this.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 06-15-2019 at 11:47 AM.
ChattanoogaPhil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:55 AM   #5

Oscar little buddy I'm sorry to hear you're being picked on. If you need a body guard just let me know. Have Claws, Will Travel

Biskit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0808 (4).JPG (201.3 KB, 2 views)
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:19 PM   #6

Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
My hounds are NEVER off-leash. Hounds are ruled by their noses; once on a trail, they're gone till they find what they're after. Leashes and harnesses here whenever off the property.

Paul: Biskit looks purty wicked!
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #7

Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
He's always on a leash. That's why he still alive.
He has no fear and that's his biggest problem.
The fear for his safety is all mine.
Tejun likes this.

Last edited by Cucamonga kid; 06-15-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Cucamonga kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:25 PM   #8

Originally Posted by PaulWVa View Post
Oscar little buddy I'm sorry to hear you're being picked on. If you need a body guard just let me know. Have Claws, Will Travel

Biskit
Just might be calling you soon to take you up on that offer.
Tejun and PaulWVa like this.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:50 PM   #9

Ive had to call the dog warden plenty of times. Im disabled and walk my dog on a leash, actually I drive my scooter in my driveway which is about 100 feet. Ive had neighbors dogs come charging me and my boxer. These dog where off the leash and its hard for me to control my dog. I keep mine on a leash and others should also. My dog would probably put up a good fight but Im not that way. The dog warden went to these peoples house and said next time a hefty fine and loose the dog. Also I took pictures for proof.
2sharp2 likes this.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:50 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Cuca, Pit Bulls make me nervous too; yet another reason for the EDC.
I do carry every day but you know if you shot somebody else's dog you might end up in a fight for your life with the owner.
Someone posted a video a while back of a pitbull trying to tear the foot off of the post man someone else was beating that dog with a trashcan and he wouldn't let go.
Nonlethal first and then... .