A pirate pistol - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2015, 07:33 PM   #1
Banned

A pirate pistol

So I was out picking Elderberries and came across some old junk that looked very abandoned. I'm pretty familiar with this area, hunting, exploring, berries, getting firewood, etc... And there was all this junk, I mean really bad looking stuff. I was poking at it, looking to see if there was anything of value.

And this ancient old man appears out of no where and says this is his stuff, and that I am taking a risk in being there. This toothless dirty scraggly guy was about foot shorter then me and weighed maybe 90lbs dripping wet. He looks like he was on his last leg and might not have had a good meal in a long time. I looked at him and said bullshit, that this is public land and that the junk looked abandoned. He had some ancient old revolver shoved down the front of his loose ratty old pants, with a belt that was tied shut. He didn't have much else to say to me as he was on public land and in obvious violation of the entire book of regulations about camping in the wilderness.

Good Lord! I'm certain that if I don't say something to Fish Wildlife and Parks about this guy, I'm going to be watching the news come spring about this guy being found very dead of winter conditions. But to point him out to authorities only adds to his already extreme miserable state. IMO, this guy is on his last stand, and time is running out. I'm thinking of taking a box of Top Ramen out to him, but that only slightly extends his short remaining time. I don't know. Crap!!!!
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-22-2015, 08:41 PM   #2

Well I for one am at a loss as to how to respond to this post.
Holster likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:58 PM   #3

Originally Posted by montanaResident View Post
So I was out picking Elderberries and came across some old junk that looked very abandoned. I'm pretty familiar with this area, hunting, exploring, berries, getting firewood, etc... And there was all this junk, I mean really bad looking stuff. I was poking at it, looking to see if there was anything of value.

And this ancient old man appears out of no where and says this is his stuff, and that I am taking a risk in being there. This toothless dirty scraggly guy was about foot shorter then me and weighed maybe 90lbs dripping wet. He looks like he was on his last leg and might not have had a good meal in a long time. I looked at him and said bullshit, that this is public land and that the junk looked abandoned. He had some ancient old revolver shoved down the front of his loose ratty old pants, with a belt that was tied shut. He didn't have much else to say to me as he was on public land and in obvious violation of the entire book of regulations about camping in the wilderness.

Good Lord! I'm certain that if I don't say something to Fish Wildlife and Parks about this guy, I'm going to be watching the news come spring about this guy being found very dead of winter conditions. But to point him out to authorities only adds to his already extreme miserable state. IMO, this guy is on his last stand, and time is running out. I'm thinking of taking a box of Top Ramen out to him, but that only slightly extends his short remaining time. I don't know. Crap!!!!
You should tell someone and maybe he will get some help. Or you could take him some food and just ask him if he wants you to get him some help. You have to Atleast try something.

Richard and glokrok like this.
Zoomybaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2015, 02:13 AM   #4

Well, look at it this way, they say that animals kept in zoos live longer than animals in the wild. My guess is that I'd live longer if you took my motorcycles away.

But is that what you would want? Would you like some buttinski with "good intentions" to take away your freedom, all those combat pistols that many do-gooders consider "junk," confiscate your sugary Oreos and imprison you in assisted living?

If going off to be alone is crazy, then people like Davy Crockett, Kit Carson and Daniel Boone were nuts, too. If this guy dies on his own terms it's far better than passing away locked up in fear.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:56 AM   #5
Banned

Close by is a campground that sometimes gets an odd host or two. Free camping for collecting fees. Last year the host was living in his ratty old tent and a bear nearly got him. The FWP loaned him a camper trailer, so his comfort level soared for the remaining months of his stay. Lots of people around here are barely hanging on, and making the best of it.

I guess better here in the wilderness then being a transient, living under a bridge in the larger cities, where there is violent crime and drugs.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:20 AM   #6

'Resident, as you may know, my wife is a teacher, and as such she has this errant gene that firefighters and nurses are cursed with. She thinks she can make the world into a Paradise because she's a good person.

Even from the standpoint or "wanting the best for people," I think there's too much charity in the world. When everything can be had for nothing it creates an environment where people can exist living in squalor, under a bridge, on Methadone.

If needed, you should make life easier for people, but they should still be a contributing part of society. I spoke of zoo animals, well, modern animal environments "hide" the food in enclosures, forcing the animals to forage. One facility catering to lions makes them chase after a golf cart of meat to give them exercise and sharpen their natural desire to hunt.

We watch these things on Animal Planet, but then throw a bum a cheese sandwich and tell ourselves "we care."
montanaResident likes this.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:35 AM   #7

The saying goes, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." It appears, based on your description that he may have chosen to live that lifestyle. But maybe not. Perhaps if you went back with a box full of easily prepared food or canned goods, you could ask him if he would like assistance or prefer to be left in peace. It should be his choice, not yours. Nor is it on your conscience if he dies this winter if he chooses his own way. Sometimes people who think they know what's best for other people are only adding to their misery. I applaud your concern, but let it be his choice. He may like being off the grid.
2sharp2, Richard, swca and 1 others like this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:01 PM   #8
Banned

Got the update on this rat. Seems he somehow made it into a nearby lightly populated area and was caught breaking and entering. For such a scrawny little dude, he was a tough one. Took 3 deputies to get him in control and to a lock up.

I was advised that if I come across another such person to report him. Only bad comes about from this sort of desperate wilderness vagrant.
MPO Southy likes this.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:30 PM   #9

Jail may be his winter survival plan.
MPO Southy and undeRGRound like this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:58 PM   #10

I'd say take him a bottle of your homemade vino, get him looped and see what that revolver is...

Hell, offer Otis Cambell 2 bottles and he may just give it to ya..
Lineman, swca and undeRGRound like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote