...who knew - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2019, 08:55 AM   #1

...who knew

On the news this morning I heard a story about a case where the law used the "black box" from a car. They were able to confirm the defendant was traveling at an excessive rate (90+mph) at the time of the crash. They mentioned that a variety on info including footage from the back up camera is stored in the vehicles hard drive. Conveniently there is no way to erase this stored data...
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-19-2019, 09:03 AM   #2

And the last recording of the drivers voice was: "Hold my beer; watch this".
Old 06-19-2019, 11:23 AM   #3

If you connect your phone to your vehicle it also stores all info. Was a story about this on yesterdays news. Big brother is watching and listening.
PaulWVa likes this.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2019, 11:48 AM   #4

It always seems so sad to me … how much closer we are to living in George Orwell's "1984" than we are to living in Arthur C. Clark's "2001" ...
ChattanoogaPhil likes this.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:52 AM   #5

I knew not to link my phone to a rental car but the fact this other data is being recorded is news to me. There has to be GPS info recorded as well. What will be next?
The basis of the story was that the evidence obtained from the guy's hard drive had been gathered without a warrant. He had plead guilty because of it but they're looking to have that changed???
Old 06-19-2019, 12:03 PM   #6

Originally Posted by 427malibu View Post
If you connect your phone to your vehicle it also stores all info. Was a story about this on yesterdays news. Big brother is watching and listening.
...Listening, that really conjures some interesting thoughts???
I can picture Big Sky ranting about his Solo a few years back. That audio would be priceless. To be clear the 3rd Solo audio would probably be the best, "Big SkyIII" :-)
Old 06-19-2019, 12:11 PM   #7

I knew they've been installing "black boxes" in cars for a while now. Just did a search and found they were first being installed in GM cars in 1994. FYI, you've been surveilled for a LONG time, whether you're aware or not and it's ALL over.

There's a "privacy theater act" going on now as much as there has been a "security theater" i.e.TSA, DHS, etc... for years.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #8

Don't ever get those things that the insurance company offers you a discount for...hooks where a a scanner hooks to
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:43 PM   #9

In GM cars, OnStar offers an option called "Smart Driver" which you have to opt-in to. I will not be opting in.

I can't imagine why anyone would...but I bet the data is there anyway for a court to demand.

This is how OnStar describes it:

"What information does Smart Driver capture?

Upon the Memberís consent and enrollment in Smart Driver, depending on vehicle capability, the vehicle will collect specific driving behavior data, including hard braking events, hard acceleration events, time spent idle, speeds over 80 miles per hour, when a trip occurs and the number of miles driven.

How often is data collected from the vehicle?

Smart Driver data is collected by OnStar from the vehicle upon every ignition cycle. Once data is collected, Members may log in to their OnStar account and view this information on the Smart Driver Activity Page from their computer or mobile device."
Old 06-19-2019, 02:57 PM   #10

As long as it's not over 120mph i'm good
ChattanoogaPhil and Bigdog like this.
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote