Talk Me Out of a Suppressor - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2019, 02:22 PM   #1

Talk Me Out of a Suppressor

For my NSG.....or not.
Been thinking about one for my Sig 229 night stand gun.
ChattanoogaPhil and PaulWVa like this.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:33 PM   #2

To much paperwork....
PaulWVa likes this.
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:40 PM   #3

Hell, talk me into one. I keep saying I am but the money and wait time suck. I keep praying for the BFA crap to go away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2019, 02:56 PM   #4

No; don't, please stop, reconsider, avoid at all costs, save your money for hearing aids!!!

How did I do? You still want one don't you....?
Cucamonga kid and PaulWVa like this.

SS Pro Carry II .45
Springfield XDm 3.8" 9mm
S&W M&P Shield .45
S&W SD9 9mm

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." ― John Wayne - The Shootist 1976

Last edited by Doons; 07-18-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Doons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:57 PM   #5

You sure have to jump through some hoops to get the tax stamp and a 9 to 12 month wait.
Then a $250 barrel, suppressor sights and the suppressor itself. All that can run you more than the originally gun costs.
PaulWVa likes this.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:19 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
You sure have to jump through some hoops to get the tax stamp and a 9 to 12 month wait.
Then a $250 barrel, suppressor sights and the suppressor itself. All that can run you more than the originally gun costs.
And then you have to ask yourself why exactly you feel you "need" one, and is it really worth all that hassle?

We have two local outfits that are Class III manufacturers, so they're certainly available. I have three friends with cans on 9mm's, .45's and mostly .22LR's in Ruger MK pistols, used for 'out the window' on ground squirrels on local ranches. To me at least, the overall cost to set up all this is just not worth the price when I consider how much I'll use the thing, when an un-suppressed weapon has served me well now for over 50 years doing the exact same thing. I'll just spend the same amount of money on other gun-related stuff anyway.

An expensive toy that this old dog has chosen not own, but to each his own. Ain't America great?

Cuca: Just buy the dang thing, you know you will anyway.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:39 PM   #7

Just waiting for Phil to set the hook.
ChattanoogaPhil likes this.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:53 PM   #8

Nah... ain't nothing to it. The biggest task is deciding which one ya want.

Once you decide....

Chances are the one you want won't be in stock at any local dealer, so go to Silencershp.com (great folks to do business with). Click the buy button and select the Class 3 dealer in your area to send it to (just like buying a gun online). You're done. SS will take care of the transfer to your local class 3 dealer. Have a beer and relax.

Once it arrives at your class 3 dealer....

A. Fill out paperwork that's not much different than a 4473.

B. Get two fingerprint cards. Our local sheriff does them for free.

C. Drop by Walgreens on your way home and get two passport size photos. Cost $10.

You're done.

Make copies for yourself, then put everything into an envelope along with a check for $200 to the ATF. Have a beer and relax.

Plan for six months or more, sometime as much as a year, for the tax stamp to arrive at your class 3 dealer. Unless you're planning to die in the next six months then the waiting period is irrelevant because the time is going to pass anyway. If you don't do it today, six months from now you'll wish you had.

-- Other considerations.

For $125 SS will help you make an NFA trust. Trust allows you to set up trustees so others can legally be in possession, or to deal with inheritance purposes without having to go to through the tax stamp process again after you croak. I have not done this.

E-filing. File for tax stamp electronically instead of through the mail. I have not done this.

Happy suppressor hunting
bhunted, Cucamonga kid and PaulWVa like this.
ChattanoogaPhil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:11 PM   #9

I can deal with the paperwork. I found a Sig Sauer threaded barrel for my 320 for $99.99. I had high hopes for the Hearing Protection Act to be passed and maybe the prices for the suppressors would come down. Now since that wacko shot up the place with one and made national news I don't see it happening. Hard to justify paying $700.00 for a Sig can to put on a $589.99 gun with a $99 barrel and then paying another $200.00 for permission to do it.

Oh well still diggin' the barrel tho ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1252.JPG (2.45 MB, 1 views)
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:15 PM   #10

Here's the 'talk you out of it' part.

Centerfire pistol suppressors are big, long and heavy. Having all that weight out past the muzzle ain't great. The diameter is large and will require taller sights or a red dot optic installed. Unless you have a place to shoot where there's no one else shooting then you'll still need to wear hearing protection. That sucks.

If I wanted a suppressed centerfire pistol I wouldn't fool with retrofitting a gun with a threaded barrel, taller sights or cutting the slide for an RMR and all that. There's a bunch of factory suppressor-ready pistols to choose from.
Cucamonga kid likes this.
ChattanoogaPhil is online now   Reply With Quote