• 2 Post By Chuck43
  • 1 Post By 2sharp2
  • 2 Post By Zoomybaby
  • 1 Post By Albert.Cairns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Mostly For Grandparents

For the most part we're an older group with grandchildren and I've been seeing a lot of posts where guys are saying that when the grand kids come over their guns go into the safe. I guess that's the easiest way out of a potential serious problem until things get bad for real. Do people with a CCL that feel the need to carry every waking minute of the day think that when the most precious thing in their lives comes to visit it's OK to lock up their guns?

I have 5 grandchildren ages 5-10 and they all have gun safety drilled into them at home and at my house. They all have BB guns, the older ones .22's, yes grandpa bought everyone of them. Both my son and daughter in law have CCL's and carry all the time. Yes all but 1 of the extra guns I have stashed around the house go into the safe but I then have 2 more armed shooters in the house.

I have a play station game system for the kids when they visit but usually they want to play with my Laserlyte system and my guns. With adult supervision this is always allowed, magazines are removed, chambers emptied then a lazerlyte cartridge is inserted into the gun that the kids can't remove.

I carry every minute that the kids are here as do their parents and without fail my daugher in law always asks when I'm leaving the house with the kids if I have my gun.
Marshall, 2sharp2 and Zoomybaby like this.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:28 PM   #2

My gun stays on my belt until bed time, the grandkids sleep upstairs when they are here, so me and my wife will sleep in a bed room up stairs also. I will take my gun off my belt and put in the small safe upstairs. I have a very good alarm that will let me know if anyone comes in down stairs and hopefully I will have time to get to my gun that is upstairs in the smaller safe. My grandkids are not around guns and are crazy about them when they come to my house. So till they learn more and understand them, I will continue to do it this way.

Chuck43 likes this.
Zoomybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:36 PM   #3

When GiGi's granddaughter comes over all of the guns are out of her reach and I will have one on my hip at all times..

People can make their own decisions on what they want to do and that's just fine, but if shit would hit the fan here I know that we are protected and I did whatever to protect her and GiGi...

TETO
Chuck43 and Zoomybaby like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2015, 06:07 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Zoomybaby View Post
My grandkids are not around guns and are crazy about them when they come to my house. So till they learn more and understand them, I will continue to do it this way.
I don't know how old your grand children are but when are they going to learn and who's going to teach them? This is the root of the problem, kids are curious about guns and will seek them out.

When my kids were growing up I combated this problem by allowing them to see and handle guns under supervision when they wanted. Unless we had other people in the house all they had to do was ask and I'd take out any gun they wanted. The important thing was to quench that curiosity and let them know they were allowed to handle guns under supervision and not on their own and what procedures they were to follow when they had the gun in their hands.

We can keep the kids and guns apart in our house but what happens when they go to Johnny's house and he says mom and dad aren't home, want to see what I found in their closet... that on us.
Marshall and Chickadee like this.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:32 PM   #5

Always have a firearm on my side when I'm awake, next to me in the nightstand at night. I started all my grandkids at age 7 with gun safety. Using a pellet gun for training then moving up to 22 and 9mm as their skills progressed. My 11 year old grandson shoots pistol 9mm, 40, 45 as good as his gramps. This is the way I was raised (Farm boy, Dad worked the Sherrifs Dept too) all my kids are also well trained and versed in saftey. Best way is to teach not hide the tools, because that's all they really are, Tools which should always be used and held with safety as a first thought. I have 4 grown children (married adults now) and 6 grandkids 3 girls and 3 boys and all love the shooting sports and firearms. Youngest one is just approaching the starting stage, can't wait.
Chuck43 likes this.

Last edited by Albert.Cairns; 08-09-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:52 PM   #6
Super Moderator

I believe the safest way to quench that curiosity is to expose them to firearms under your supervision and don't make them a forbidden/hidden thing.
Zoomybaby and Albert.Cairns like this.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:00 PM   #7

We have four grandkids one boy, three girls ages almost 4-12. Very rarely are they all at our house at the same time.
I reduced the number of weapons around the house, so which ever pistol I am using for EDC becomes the night stand pistol.
During short visits from Gkids, if I am not wearing it, then it gets unloaded and place high in the closet. If any are spending the night then when I go to bed, pistol is made ready condition 1, placed on night stand. Goes back unloaded and high in closet when I wake up.

I decided to leave in the safe a riot pump shotgun and revolver that used to always be within reach but out of sight. I didn't want to give thugs free weapons. If they were looking for guns they probably could have found these. Plus I didn't want me or my wife to come home and be ambushed with my own shotgun or pistol.
Chuck43 likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:17 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I believe the safest way to quench that curiosity is to expose them to firearms under your supervision and don't make them a forbidden/hidden thing.
I agree totally

Chuck43 and 2sharp2 like this.
Zoomybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:24 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Ditto, children are curious by nature, satisfying that in a safe instructive way is something they carry for a lifetime. We have enough people trying to teach our kids today that guns are evil and dangerous. Proper training and discipline dispels these myths and gives the kids the knowledge they need to enjoy the firearms and shooting sports safely.
Zoomybaby likes this.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote