Are we losing America? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #1

Are we losing America?

Yes, yes, I know the usual answers. This isn't about the Tea Party, or Obama or anything like that.

What I've been thinking about lately is how we are losing America. How immigrants and other cultures are imposing their will on us. Why is that?

I think one of the reasons we were known as the melting pot was that other cultures and immigrants came here and assimilated and became American. People came here and took part in uniquely American customs- celebrating Thanksgiving, and Christmas and Independence Day, and Memorial Day, and even spending Sundays with the family. These were cultural touchstones.

We no longer have these traditions. It's now a void in American life. When there is a void, something else rushes in to fill it.

What has happened to our holidays. They used to have meaning. Now all they are is about shopping. Shop, shop, shop. It's no longer an American holiday, it's a sale at some store. Got to have it now. Right now.

Thanksgiving? Do we talk about about the Pilgrims and religious freedom and the Mayflower Compact or hell, even the Mayflower? Do we talk about Rockwell's paintings of the Four Freedoms? Nope. It's all about stores and who can ditch the thanksgiving dinner first to get in line to buy a TV. So sad. and we are doing this to ourselves.

It's not a libertarian idea, and it won't be popular, but I have become more and more convinced that in order to save our culture, it really should be illegal for stores (other than gas stations and maybe convenience stores) to be open on these holidays. I also think blue laws, requiring businesses to be closed on Sunday are a good thing.

Many of us lived during the time when there were blue laws. I think it made weekends a lot nicer, personally. More family time.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #2

In a sense, yes. I think we have done it to ourselves. It matters not where one sits, with regard to politics, but rather that no one has stood up and said; "That's enough"! For my money, it's all about when we started to accept "progressive ideas". Things like Political Correctness and government support of families.
When a people is told, for a long enough period of time, they can or cannot do something, it becomes ingrained. Much like the family values we used to have. All of that has been replaced with "participation trophies and community acceptance. The concept of one being responsible for one's own actions was dismissed when we began our acceptance creed. Until we reverse this process and not only assume, but insist upon, personal responsibility we are destined to continue to ask why we, the productive, are the victim.

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never has been and never will be. T Jefferson
pbsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #3

I agree, personal responsibility, to many on the public dole.There are more collecting benifits than paying in. Also people coming to this country for a better life, wants to change life here to what they grew up with. Such as sharia law! I think the Tea Party has a lot of valid ideas. Hopefully the majority in this country wakes up in time for the next election! After that it may be to late to reverse!
sbubrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I promised myself I would quit expressing my feelings in posts like this. I get too worked up so I'm just going to say I completely agree with what I've read here.

PS If you happen to be in this country illegally, can't speak a word of English and want a drivers license go to Springfield, Illinois and ask for Governor Pat Quinn, he's passing them out.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:38 PM   #5

So is Jerry Brown in Kalifornia!
I agree with Chuck all the way.
Untill we stop all of the freebee's that are handed out to anybody, and instill family values again. Till then we will keep circling round and round, getting lower all the time in the porcelain bowl. The flush is almost complete.......
sbubrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:47 AM   #6

I'm just surprised that no one wants to keep a few days of the year when the stores aren't open.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:16 AM   #7

That would be offensive to those who are not Christian, (PC). The argument was and still is, why close on days of Christian holidays and not those of xxx?
On a very low level, I agree with this. However, when I see special consideration given to other religions for other reasons, it kind of eliminates the argument.

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never has been and never will be. T Jefferson
pbsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #8

America

The government has done it. Uncle Sam created hyphenated-Americans (assimilation is a PC no-no, with MLK rolling in his grave), government documents are in 20 languages, social promotion in schools, zero tolerance being enforced by idiots, schools feeding kids 2 & 3 times a day, clothing them, unenployment for life, political refugees and teenagers drawing social security without ever putting into it, Dr. Spock wants everyone feelings to be appreciated, Congress passing laws "so they can find out what's in it", and the idiots that continue to vote them in office (for the freebies).
Stats out just this week: 37% of teenagers do not EVER want to work.
Should I go on?
Harleystoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #9

Our Fore Fathers founded this country based on the premise of freedom of religion. Not Freedom FROM religion. They believed in a Christian God. Thanksgiving is a perfect example. The Pilgrims were thankful they found the New World and gave thanks to God. Not Allah, Buddha or what ever. It was a Christian God, so get over it liberals. I have no problem accepting the fact, that others have the right to worship how they please.

Madelyn O'Hara started this mess by causing the mere mention of God to be stifled in our schools. Maybe, just maybe there would be less issues in our schools today if the students were taught about God and stood to say the pledge of allegiance. If those of other cultures are offended they can always exercise their right to return from where they came.
pbsdaddy likes this.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #10

Simple and quick, yes we are.
PatAz is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

are we losing america

Click on a term to search for related topics.