Coronavirus Live Map - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree122Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2020, 06:56 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Coronavirus Live Map

Here is a link to Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by Johns Hopkins CSSE. Just hit your refresh button and it will update itself.
Markie, Bish and Oklahomabound like this.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:24 AM   #2

It appears all companies are now in a panic about Corona/Covid virus. So much so, that they are issuing guidance to all employees, have pandemic coordination committees and hotlines/calling-trees for all employees.

Yesterday, my own CEO issued our guidance regarding the state of the virus, globally, our plans, even suggesting stocking up on "necessities". I did have to laugh at his intro e-mail though.

At one point he stated, "Interestingly, in Connecticut alone, as of yesterday we have had over 2200 people get the flu, and 58 deaths this season – and no one seems to notice or discuss it. Amazing." He then went on to calmly state our company "plan".

Is the sky truly falling?
Chuck43, wayne and Oklahomabound like this.
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:39 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I find it interesting that the virus is hitting hardest in China where we get a lot of our medications and medical supplies from. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said some of the testing kits sent to U.S. and at least 30 countries produced “inconclusive” results due to a flawed component. Talk about being caught between a rock and a hard place.
OLE442 and Oklahomabound like this.

Old 02-29-2020, 08:33 AM   #4

All those ebay items coming out of there...
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:38 AM   #5

I don't understand the hysteria.

I looked on the CDC website: "The overall burden of influenza for the 2017-2018 season was an estimated 45 million influenza illnesses, 21 million influenza-associated medical visits, 810,000 influenza-related hospitalizations, and 61,000 influenza-associated deaths."

61,000 Americans dead from the Flu in one season... I don't remember any fuss about it.

On the news yesterday there was a guy who had been diagnosed with Corona (got it on a cruise ship). Said he had a headache for a bit and cough. Felt fine now and was ready to be released from quarantine soon.
2sharp2, Jflytle and Oklahomabound like this.
ChattanoogaPhil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:18 AM   #6

1919 flu had the fifth iteration of 100% death.
8 Things to Know About the Spanish Influenza Pandemic of 1918-1919. 1. The global death toll for the Spanish flu is thought to be 50 million people, but it might have been as high as 100 million. In other words, between 3% and 5% of the world's population died.
The Spanish flu pandemic of 1918, the deadliest in history, infected an estimated 500 million people worldwide—about one-third of the planet’s population—and killed an estimated 20 million to 50 million victims, including some 675,000 Americans. The 1918 flu was first observed in Europe, the United States and parts of Asia before swiftly spreading around the world. At the time, there were no effective drugs or vaccines to treat this killer flu strain. Citizens were ordered to wear masks, schools, theaters and businesses were shuttered and bodies piled up in makeshift morgues before the virus ended its deadly global march.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:23 PM   #7

Seven things you should know about the coronavirus, written by a registered nurse �� :

1. Coronavirus itself isn’t new. Just like influenza, coronavirus is a family of respiratory viruses, and there are multiple strains, which have the ability to change over time. Coronavirus is already common in the United States, and has been for years. I have personally cared for patients with this diagnosis.

2. Novel coronavirus, also known as COVID-19, is the strain we’re hearing about in the news. It emerged in Wuhan, China at the end of 2019.

3. Symptoms of COVID-19 include fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Just like the flu and common cold, it is spread person to person via respiratory droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes.

4. According to the World Health Organization, as of February 26, there have been 2,918 confirmed cases of COVID-19 outside of China. 53 of these are in the United States. There have been 44 deaths, none in the United States. Compare this to influenza, which the CDC estimates will infect between 29,000,000 and 41,000,000 people in the United States alone during the 2019-20 season, resulting in 16,000 to 41,000 deaths.

5. “But there’s no cure!” You’re right. There’s no magic pill that cures the flu either. But there is a flu vaccine (that doesn’t cause autism) that can protect you from our most common respiratory viruses. Maybe go get one.

6. So, why are we panicking? Frankly, because the media tells us to. Manufacturing a pandemic is a great way to boost ratings, but everything science knows so far about COVID-19 has revealed it to be no more than yet another respiratory virus (and there are thousands).

7. The scariest part of COVID-19 isn’t the virus itself, it’s the resulting baseless mass paranoia. Hospitals are hoarding supplies, creating shortages of PPE necessary to protect healthcare workers and patients. Cities are refusing to house and treat sick people who have nowhere else to go. People are using the virus as an excuse for their own social prejudices.

So, what can you do? Turn off the TV and arm yourself with the facts. Stop the spread of false information.

And for Pete’s sake, wash your hands.

(Information & statistics obtained directly from the CDC & WHO)

Want to know more? Learn from the experts:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus
Old 03-01-2020, 03:21 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Here is a link to Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by Johns Hopkins CSSE. Just hit your refresh button and it will update itself.
Maybe I'm just not computer literate enough to operate it, but there's a huge swath of the globe missing from that map.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:45 AM   #9
Super Moderator

JBear did you try hitting the - button on the map?

There were 60 cases in the USA when I posted the map on 2/28 today there are 71 cases and 1 death.
Old 03-01-2020, 03:28 PM   #10

I did, but it didn't work. It zoomed out, but didn't fill in the new space. However, I was doing it on my phone, and now on my laptop it does in fact work.

There appears to be only one case in Mexico. I wonder what it's going to look like when I'm there in April. Assuming air travel hasn't been shut down...
Chuck43 likes this.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote