• 2 Post By montanaResident
  • 1 Post By bhunted
  • 1 Post By bhunted
  • 1 Post By swca

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2015, 02:00 PM   #1
Banned

The Rhubarb Wine

Last batch of Rhubarb for this year has been bottled = 59 1/2 bottles. 6 weeks start to finish. Hydro hadn't moved in 2+ weeks, and the clearing wasn't going anywhere fast enough anymore. So today was bottling day.

Put a wee bit more Acid Blend in then I should have, but more pucker is better then less.

Master Vintner is seen taking a break. He gets all the label recognition for such little labor.

MPO Southy and bhunted like this.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-19-2015, 04:06 PM   #2

Funny, my mailman, also a friend and son of a retired cop friend of mine., makes wine. He just gave me 2 bottles of mulberry wine. Very different taste than just plain grapes.

I was going to ask him about rhubarb. My grandmother use to grow tons when we were kids and made a lot of pies with it.
How does it taste as a wine?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
montanaResident likes this.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - USCAA - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:12 PM   #3
Banned

Originally Posted by bhunted View Post
Funny, my mailman, also a friend and son of a retired cop friend of mine., makes wine. He just gave me 2 bottles of mulberry wine. Very different taste than just plain grapes.

I was going to ask him about rhubarb. My grandmother use to grow tons when we were kids and made a lot of pies with it.
How does it taste as a wine?

I'm still learning, but the taste is quite dependent on the back sweetening and other additives. I like a bit of tang in my wine, so I add appropriately. I'm a Merlot and Chardonnay drinking, but I've sampled/tasted lots and lots of different wines. From my new found learning, I believe much has to do with the recipe. As far as Rhubarb goes, with the additive it tastes a lot like, well, Rhubarb. On earlier batches with no or few additives, dull is a good description. THE fruit base is a subtle flavor to the end product. I can't really describe the Rhubarb flavor, but suffice to say, I'm making more, a lot more next year.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:21 PM   #4

The Rhubarb Wine

Well if it taste anything like rhubarb pie, it's tart and requires a taste that has to grow on ya. Here is something you can try. Cook it with strawberries. Thats what my grandma did. Makes an awesome flavor that draws your mind away from the tartness a tad. I'm sure it would for wine too. Not a lot, but to give it a hint of strawberry. As for tartness, only thing she did for that was add slices of bananas. But that wouldn't work for wines. Lol....

Geeze I wish I could remember all the things that she made. My grandparents were essentially German farmers. So if she couldn't can it, right away, she made pies. Lol. Damn I miss her.

glokrok likes this.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - USCAA - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:03 PM   #5

I have an Aunt in Ohio that used to make crabapple wine and rhuebarb wine. Another Aunt here CA. that made pomegranate wine.

Are you sure the fella in the picture is only involved in the label,looks as if he could be the official taster or QC if you will.
montanaResident likes this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:13 PM   #6
Banned

Originally Posted by southwestca View Post
I have an Aunt in Ohio that used to make crabapple wine and rhuebarb wine. Another Aunt here CA. that made pomegranate wine.

Are you sure the fella in the picture is only involved in the label,looks as if he could be the official taster or QC if you will.
His role varies. He is perhaps most useful in making wine, is when I'm out gathering Apples, Huckleberries, or Elderberries. I like to think when I'm concentrating on picking up or clipping the berries, he's on lookout for wild and dangerous animals.

2 years ago, I was clipping Elderberries clusters, and a bush about 100 feet away began rustling quite vigorously. I don't know what it was, but I got out of the area fast, even though I had a 44Mag on my hip. In some areas, I really go in deep to get my berries. Pay attention and be prepared is the way to be.