Bison Airlighter - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2015, 08:39 AM   #1

Bison Airlighter

As you might remember, one of my best clients is a boy scoutmaster. Recently they had to spend a cold night after a deluge soaked down their camp and all of their tinder--even the supposedly "fool proof" tinder wads I sent along with them.

Concerned, I began to research alternatives and found the Bison Airlighter. It has a rechargeable motor (it uses an USB port or a car cigarette lighter socket), and lights with butane.

Once lit, the fan motor keeps the fire going until even damp tinder is engulfed.

I must admit, I wasn't too thrilled when I read that it takes four hours to fully charge the unit the first time. But being impatient, I put a "smidgeon" of butane into the handle and plug the Airlighter into my computer for two or three minutes.

...yes, there was a blue flame--and my respect...

001.JPG
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:48 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Fire starters with a USB cord, what the hell is this world coming to? Give me a zip lock bag with cotton balls saturated with petroleum jelly or sawdust soaked in kerosene. If you can't start a fire using either of them with a flint and steel in any kind of weather you don't deserve to be a boy scout.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:14 PM   #3

Chuck, normally I would agree. I carry treated tinder wads. The problem I was trying to solve involved kids and a soaked campsite.

In my life, I would have just gone home if I was that uncomfortable. They were on a scouting event in another state. They got cold food and no fires of any kind.

My guess is that the scoutmasters will still have to teach the kids how to properly start a fire and use flint or the bow method.

And like it or not, there will be lap-tops and USB ports. I did also include the cigarette lighter adapter since a number of 4-wheel drive vehicles are used to get the scouts to the event.
Chuck43 likes this.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:24 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Starting a fire in any kind of a situation is one the first basic survival skills they should be taught. If they're camping in the woods and their leaders know what they're doing then it shouldn't be a problem to find dry kinder in any kind of downpour. Instead of making things easier for kids today we should be making it more challenging, if they can't learn to deal with problems when they're young what can we expect of them when they get older and the SHTF?
Richard, Hoffbrew and roketdoc like this.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:20 PM   #5

In this case, the place was getting two inches per hour. They used every trick, every scrap of tinder, and the scoutmaster even shredded one of his shirts. No luck.

But this scoutmaster is a very good teacher, and very pragmatic. A few years back he invited my wife and I to one their meetings to instruct them on knives and sharpening. We are now putting together a follow-up program on maintenance.

BTW, I would guestimate that 2/3s of the kids I met were farm kids. The idea of "fire" was not foreign to them. The instance I am referring to was just one of those bad-luck "perfect storms."
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:48 PM   #6

If it back fires, will it burn down the internet?
Chuck43 likes this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:46 PM   #7

With the winds we're getting around here tonight, I want to test those super-duper emergency matches that light anywhere and stay lit 'in a hurricane'.
Chuck43 likes this.
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:02 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jflytle View Post
With the winds we're getting around here tonight, I want to test those super-duper emergency matches that light anywhere and stay lit 'in a hurricane'.
Hang on John, I heard they could hit 60 mph.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:06 PM   #9

Dogs are all hunkered down. Should save having to rake any leaves this weekend.
Chuck43 likes this.
Jflytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:19 PM   #10
Super Moderator

It's just starting to rain here so you must already be getting it.