New Rule: Docs can report certain patients with mental health issues to FBI - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By swca
  • 2 Post By Chuck43
  • 4 Post By Spotly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2016, 05:51 PM   #1
Super Moderator

New Rule: Docs can report certain patients with mental health issues to FBI

Advisory.com

New gun control rule: Docs can report certain patients with mental health issues to FBI

Effort aimed at improving background check system

11:43 AM - January 5, 2016
The Obama administration on Monday finalized a rule detailing what information providers can disclose to the FBI's background check system without patients' consent and unveiled several new gun control executive actions.

Disclosure rule

The new background check disclosure rule, which takes effect next month, follows through on one of the executive actions President Obama announced in the wake of the 2012 mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, in which 20 children and six adults were killed.

Under federal law, individuals are prohibited from owning a gun if they have been involuntarily committed, been ruled incompetent to stand trial, or have been found by a legal authority to be a danger to themselves or others.

The new rule aims to address the concerns of states and providers about whether releasing information on such patients with mental health issues to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) without content violates the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).

Why one hospital will treat gun violence like it treats alcoholism

Under the final rule, certain HIPAA-covered entities will be able to provide names, particular demographic information, and other details to NICS without patients' consent but cannot disclose clinical or diagnostic details. Providers will not be required to disclose the information.

New executive actions, proposals

Meanwhile, the White House also announced new proposals aimed at reducing gun violence, including broadening the definition of a gun dealer who would need to administer background checks. The administration also:
  • Said the Social Security Administration would start the rulemaking process for providing NICS with information about beneficiaries who are prohibited from owning firearms for mental health reasons; and
  • Proposed an additional $500 million investment to improve access to mental health care, which would require congressional approval.
"While individuals with mental illness are more likely to be victims of violence than perpetrators, incidents of violence continue to highlight a crisis in America's mental health system," the White House said in a fact sheet. "In addition to helping people get the treatment they need, we must make sure we keep guns out of the hands of those who are prohibited by law from having them" (Pittman, Politico, 1/4; White House fact sheet, 1/4; McCain Nelson/Fields, Wall Street Journal, 1/5).
Old 01-05-2016, 05:55 PM   #2
Banned

Just wait till we get the Hillary Administration. She's going to make Obama look like a pistol wearing pro-gun POTUS.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:01 PM   #3

...I turned Zoomy in to the Obama Death Board this morning. I also received The Legion Of Merit award from Ozaukee County Wisconsin for recognizing the obvious...

Old 01-05-2016, 06:04 PM   #4

Oh joy. Can hardly wait to see what they classify as a mental illness. I'm sure they have too much integrity to use this ambiguity of the term as a tool to gun grab.

You can tell alot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans. - Ronald Reagan
Spotly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:05 PM   #5

Well hell's bells....

Wonder if my pictures of my {cough cough} hospital stay will be made available ??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7bd2ac929cfa85337ab110ff0abdb2ad.jpg (112.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg mainCuckoo31.jpg (181.0 KB, 3 views)
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:12 PM   #6

I am a conservative living in a liberal state I am certain some would view this as being mentally ill. In fact I have questioned my mental awareness on this very subject.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:18 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Never, never, ever mention firearms when you're speaking with your doctor.... just saying.
Marshall and speedydg13 like this.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:24 PM   #8

I worry (in a non mental problems sort of way) about the gun owner suffering from anxiety for whatever reason. Gets a certain med triggering being reported. Seems improbable but so is that black helicopter i have hovering over the house.

You can tell alot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans. - Ronald Reagan
Spotly is offline   Reply With Quote