Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2016, 04:12 AM   #1

Ammo for the post office

Did anyone read this?

US Postal Service Joins in Federal Ammo Purchases

That is a lot of bids for ammo and a lot of ammo being requested. Somebody at the post office must be doing a lot of target practice. How many postal employees have to carry sidearms?

Better yet, why does the Social Security Administration need ammo? Are they having armed guards watching over my monthly check? I have been to the SSA a few times. Not once did I see anyone carrying. The local office has a uniformed security guard at the door but he works for a private security company and was unarmed.

And why does the weather bureau need ammo?

I wish I could buy ammo at the prices those like Winchester are offering the government..
Old 01-10-2016, 04:29 AM   #2

I don't think they are guarding "property." For example, due to our recent shooting at the East Towne Mall, there is now a guard at Barnes & Noble. I doubt very seriously that a gang-banger is going to shoot the place up and steal the collected works of Shakespeare.

I believe that there have been many "closed door" meetings in offices, bookstores, and restaurants grappling with the idea of being a 'soft target.' Using B&M as an example, most dirtbags would assume that guys who like books are pacifists and are unarmed.

Foolish assumption. That's where some of us bikers go for coffee because it's not posted. But the 'upshot' if you'll pardon the pun, was the meetings where I discussed such topics with their manager and former assistant manager.

They have an emergency evacuation plan in place. They hired the guards. They have protocols for dropping their access gates. They made a decision on permitting customer CCW. In short, while never advertised, companies know that violence is now another aspect of daily business.
Oreste, Richard and 1911fan like this.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:45 AM   #3

I would rather the US Government repay the billions the Democrats stole from the Social Security Administration in times past. They called it borrowing but it was my impression when one borrowed something, it was repaid. Stop spending money on ammo and pay back to the Medicare system so seniors can continue to get decent medical care at affordable prices.

LBJ took money from the SSA more times than Jessie James robbed banks. None has been repaid.
Jflytle and Spotly like this.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:01 AM   #4

From our past experience with Postal Workers do we really need to teach them to shoot better.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:11 AM   #5

The amount of ammo doesn't bother me. If they have their own criminal investigations dept for mail fraud and other illegal activities then they probably have armed personnel. If they have 100 officers worldwide, a purchase of 100,000 rounds wouldn't seem like much to me. How often to you buy 1,000 rounds? Pretty often, would be my guess.
Chuck43, Richard and Hoffbrew like this.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:22 AM   #6

The U.S. Postal Service is not hoarding ammunition. The Postal Service Inspection Service is a law enforcement agency and its inspectors carry firearms which require ammunition. Periodically, the Inspection Service must purchase ammunition for activities like firearms training, required annual firing range qualifications and for duty. As the Postal Service’s primary law enforcement arm, the Inspection Service is a highly specialized, professional organization which performs investigative and security functions essential to a stable and sound postal system and the security of the U.S. Mail.

BTW...That story is almost 2 years old.....
Richard and jonh1373 like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:28 AM   #7

Jeff, check the date on the story. It came out this morning and referred to things in the last year.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:32 AM   #8
Super Moderator

This doesn't really bother me, during the big ammo shortage we went through recently the ammunition manufacturers did everything they possibly could to increase their production. They increased the size of their plants, added more shifts and built new more efficient plants. I read where CCI is producing more then 1 million .22 rounds a day and they are only one manufacture.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:36 AM   #9

Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Jeff, check the date on the story. It came out this morning and referred to things in the last year.
I'm looking at this date....

US Postal Service Joins in Federal Ammo Purchases
By Cheryl K. Chumley | Monday, 14 Apr 2014 04:21 PM

I read that same story 2 years ago...It was just reposted and when they say "Earlier this year" it simply means earlier in 2014.

Last edited by Marshall; 01-10-2016 at 08:39 AM.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:41 AM   #10

Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
I would rather the US Government repay the billions the Democrats stole from the Social Security Administration in times past. They called it borrowing but it was my impression when one borrowed something, it was repaid. Stop spending money on ammo and pay back to the Medicare system so seniors can continue to get decent medical care at affordable prices.

LBJ took money from the SSA more times than Jessie James robbed banks. None has been repaid.
Not sure how many times LBJ might have dipped into the fund but during the portion of the Clinton presidency, specifically when he claimed to have 'balanced the budget' congress very quietly changed the accounting catagory of the Trust Fund so that it was no longer a seperate and protected fund. Suddenly it was part of the general funds catagory and as such was available for congressional use.

Today there is a law that says the agency will predict it's needs to support trust fund obligations (read monthly SSA payments) and that amount of money will be set aside for annual operations of the SSA. The rest is 'loaned' to the federal government at a very low interest rate. You may call it what you like. I like 'Stealing from the public'!

As for the purchase of Sig .357 ammunition, the various agencies all have Inspector General staffs and they are deputized as Federal Marshals and issued weapons. In the early 2000's they were issued Sig Sauer .357 pistols. I suspect the purchase of the Sig .357 ammunition was for the SSA IG staff.

Being on this staff is really not a bad job. You are a Federal Officer, issued weapons and given training annually and, when is the last time you heard of and old lady drawing down on a Federal agent because she did not get her check in time?

On the down side they do have to work ten hour days but, they are allowed two hours a day for fitness training. You have to work ten hour shifts but two hours of each shift is in the fitness center (any fitness center)!