America DOES need better gun control!😎 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2016, 04:55 PM   #1

America DOES need better gun control!😎

And if Nobama has to use an executive order to get us out and practice more, even though it is cold out, then so be it. How many of you can say that you practice too much or that you've achieved the pinnacle of perfection in your shooting skills and you don't need to practice anymore? Remember it is a perishable skill. Most of us are probably only thinking about a confrontation between us and maybe one individual wielding a knife in an isolated area. But have you thought about having to take a headshot to stop the bad guy in a crowded restaurant or movie theater or the mall? Are you confident you could do that at 10 yards? Are you spending more time cleaning and polishing your side arm than actually shooting at the range? BTW I'm guilty.

Last edited by Cucamonga kid; 01-10-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Cucamonga kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-10-2016, 05:34 PM   #2

I do not practice enough, I have been working on that and doing better. I study my surroundings more than I ever had in the last year, could I take a head shot at 10 yards? I sure think I could. Definitely more range time for sure is needed. I clean my weapon(s) after I get home from range and maintain cleanliness before next trip.
swca and Cucamonga kid like this.
Hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:09 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Living in a heavily populated area that frowns on shooting ranges of any kind really makes practicing something like this impossible. All of the ranges that do exist prohibit drawing from a holster and anything coming close to what they consider rapid fire will get you reprimanded if not asked to leave.
GoingSolo and Cucamonga kid like this.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:21 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Living in a heavily populated area that frowns on shooting ranges of any kind really makes practicing something like this impossible. All of the ranges that do exist prohibit drawing from a holster and anything coming close to what they consider rapid fire will get you reprimanded if not asked to leave.
That is unfortunate Chuck. I have a range available to me. I even could practice close compression shooting if cared to. I do not think I have reached that kind of confidence yet I do plan on practicing more also I definitely look at my surroundings more than I ever have when I am in public places.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:25 PM   #5

There are currently six ranges in this area. I belong to two of them but the ranges are being shot up literally. There are 9 handgun lanes in one of them. The target retrievers have been shot up so badly that either the cables or target holders are no longer useful on six of them. In essence there are only three lanes usable. Yet I have to pay $250 annually to belong to the place. It is the only indoor range within 120 miles. One outdoor range is free but due to citizen and hunter complaints is only open on weekend afternoons.

There is a new range being built for a few million dollars and it will be fantastic but will be over a year before it is completed and I am sure membership cost will be close to bring prohibitive. It will be an indoor range as well.

The other outdoor ranges always have a line of people waiting for an open lane. Some people shoot for a couple hours so waiting could take hours.

I guess gun ranges are much like prisons. Nobody wants one in their neighborhood.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:27 PM   #6

Here is a website showing the gun ranges in one's area. You can use the filters to narrow your search

Find Shooting Ranges in U.S. and Canada | Where To Shoot
Old 01-12-2016, 03:31 PM   #7

Governor's Gun Club is 17 miles from here. It is very nice. Open to the public, but they have memberships too. Lane fee during the week is only $12.00.

In 2016 they are going to start construction on a bigger, better facility that will only be 10 miles from me. It's going to be amazing.

Kennesaw -Governors Gun Club
1911fan likes this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:36 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
Governor's Gun Club is 17 miles from here. It is very nice. Open to the public, but they have memberships too. Lane fee during the week is only $12.00.

In 2016 they are going to start construction on a bigger, better facility that will only be 10 miles from me. It's going to be amazing.

Kennesaw -Governors Gun Club

That would be worth moving to get closer to it.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:56 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Ranges that you can only shoot at a stationary paper target are fun, but not much training for real world situations. Tactical classes with a qualified instructor are the way to go if you can. Next best would be playing gun "games." IDPA, USPSA, and such really help as well.
Richard, Cucamonga kid and JC45 like this.

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:05 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Steve I agree with you on taking "Tactical Classes" but if you don't have a range where you can practice what you've been taught to hone those skills what good is it?
Islander likes this.