Microsoft Did it Again - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2016, 12:11 PM   #1

Microsoft Did it Again

I was thinking about my Windows Updates yesterday, and couldn't remember being notified about updates in December, so I checked. Sure enough, my Windows 7 Professional was not updated in December.

So . . . I manually checked for updates, and was told that there were no updates available. I know for a fact that Microsoft released updates for Windows in December. I should have been suspicious when I installed updates back in November and Windows informed me on my screen that it was installing Windows 10 updates. Now, here we go again! Somebody at Microsoft has really lost control of this process, and it is not only me who has been affected: Microsoft update blunders going out of control | ZDNet

Currently, I am trying to dig out the problem and get it fixed, but so far, I have not been successful. In the meantime, I wonder about the vast majority of Microsoft users who allow Windows to update itself automatically. How many of their computers are no longer being updated, and they aren't even aware of it?

Remove Ads
Old 01-12-2016, 01:34 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I don't allow windows 7 to automatically install updates, I have to approve them first. December had many updates both important and optional over the course of the month.
krunchnik and Spotly like this.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:56 PM   #3

I always wait to take the updates in case there are issue with them. Windows has trashed my system more than once with updates.

You can tell alot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans. - Ronald Reagan
Spotly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2016, 04:01 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
I don't allow windows 7 to automatically install updates, I have to approve them first. December had many updates both important and optional over the course of the month.
I don't either. However, I was offered no updates for December, and if I manually check for updates today, I am told that no updates are available. This is a Microsoft bug, pure and simple. My Windows 7 Operating System has not been updated since November 11, and there doesn't seem to be a damn thing I can do about it.

You can't approve an update if none are presented to you for approval.

This is the second time since July that this has happened to me, and it is also happening to Windows Server software that is administered by IT professionals who know better than to allow Microsoft to make any kind of "automatic" changes to their systems.

Anybody who uses Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 should check their "Update History" file to see if their Windows OS is still being updated. If your machine is no longer being updated, that means that the security fixes are no longer being installed, and your computer has become vulnerable. Not a pleasant thought . . .

BTW, your anti-virus software will not help you if your Operating System software has holes in it.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:47 PM   #5

Sheesh! I just tried again, and after about 10-15 minutes of searching on a very fast computer with a high-speed Internet connection, Windows Updates found 34 Important Updates to Windows 7 and Office 10, and 4 Optional Updates. I checked, and one of the Optional Updates was the upgrade to Windows 10. I unchecked that box, and hid the update, then proceeded to download 34 "Important" and one "Optional" updates.

As soon as it started downloading, it informed me that it was downloading the "Setup" files for Windows 10, which I had just explicitly told it I did not want. I had to stop the download. I checked all my settings, and they were all okay, so I tried again. This time, it told me that it was downloading 34 important updates for Windows 7 and Office 10, and one Optional Update (for the Microsoft Security Essentials Definition File). I am keeping my fingers crossed, but I am very disappointed in Microsoft's efforts to "push" Windows 10 onto users who do not want it . . .

Old 01-12-2016, 05:34 PM   #6

Success!! Maybe . . .

Windows Update informed me that it had successfully downloaded and installed 35 updates, so I went into my "Update History" and counted them. In truth, Windows Update downloaded and installed 63 updates into my computer this afternoon. This is just freaky . . .

Islander likes this.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:49 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Computers and women. I will never understand either.
Richard likes this.

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:11 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to krunchnik
So far I have been able to find the updates for Windows 10 install and hide them.I have to approve and download all updates so I normally check each one to see what changes are in store.I really like Windows 7 and want to stay with this as long as possible.I have a TV tuner card in my HP Elite that works for over the air programming-Windows 10 does not include Windows Media Player so therefore my tuner would not work without finding and possibly having to pay for software that will.Microsoft reminds me of some politicians-you will use and like what I say or else.
Richard likes this.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:22 PM   #9

Oh, yes. I agree completely. I am satisfied with Windows 7, and I remember the old saw about “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” Why should I replace Windows 7 if it works fine and still receives updates?

I removed the updates that were constantly trying to get me to upgrade to Windows 10, but Microsoft seems quite adept at slipping them back in again (with a different patch number). This morning about two minutes after I booted up my machine and logged on, a big box popped up in the middle of my desktop urging me to upgrade to Windows 10. How annoying!

A couple of years ago I got into a big debate (no surprise) on a different forum over whether or not Microsoft would ever make changes to our computer Operating Systems without asking our permission, and without notifying us. It does. I was able to prove it, which shut up one of the big mouths on the forum. Just yesterday, I was told by Microsoft Windows Update that 35 updates would be installed, and then that 35 updates were installed, but when I checked my Update History, there were 63 new updates. What were the other 28 updates? What were they designed to “fix”? Why wasn’t I given the option to choose whether or not to install them?

Microsoft has become very heavy-handed in recent years, and I would estimate that about 95% of all non-corporate and non-business Windows users are not even aware of what is happening to their machines. Look at the disastrous releases of Windows Vista and Windows 8.0! Now we see a disaster in the Windows Update system! Who’s steering the ship in Redmond?

I am reminded on an almost daily basis by a close relative who eliminated Microsoft from all of his devices that Apple doesn’t seem to have these kinds of problems. I have been a Windows user since the late 80’s. It is embarrassing when Mac users point out the weaknesses in Windows. Microsoft is getting complacent, and Apple is starting to erode its market share, IMO.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:09 PM   #10
Super Moderator

I'm running windows 7 on my laptop, I have windows 10 on my desktop and I don't like it and don't want it on my laptop. I bought and paid for windows 7 and I don't understand how they can continually try to force me to upgrade to it. They didn't give me a free upgrade to Win 7 from XP, I had to pay for that and I was allowed to skip Vista, what's changed that suddenly they want to shove 10 down our throats?