Posts might be limited for a bit. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2016, 06:09 AM   #1

Posts might be limited for a bit.

First off, I'm okay, the problem is minor, just a tad spooky.

A few days ago I started seeing minor sparks in the corner of my left eye, and then swirls of octopus ink. It would clear in minutes. Then yesterday it got a lot worse.

Since my eye doctor is only a few blocks from my house, I drove over and he graciously saw me. At least the guy has a sense of humor.

After the eye drops and few agonizing minutes of dead silence, he informed me that I popped a blood vessel in my eye. Worst case, I might have a minor tear in my retina, which sounds serious but can be readily repaired with a laser.

I had kicked up my weights and it has been cold. With 'age' now a factor, that's all it takes.

Just to be on the safe side, I have an appointment this morning at his main office where a more detailed examination will be conducted and where the laser is located.

I can type, although I'm making a lot of corrections, and who knows what I will be able to do if there's some transient scarring from healing. I'm not planning on posting a lot and certainly I will not be polishing.

My only complaint is this. Most of us are proud redneck guys who haven't backed down from anything since grade-school. But I must confess a very unsettling trepidation that seems to be much larger than the real issue. I felt cold and detached during the mall shooting, but very uneasy when the exam's bright lights showed me blood inside my eye!

Yikes, 65 years old and I get spooked by a drop of blood smaller than the head of a pin...
roketdoc likes this.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:13 AM   #2

No more pumping iron for you, old guy.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:22 AM   #3

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
No more pumping iron for you, old guy.
LOL, at least not for a few days. In fact, I've been feeling really beat lately, and now I have a legitimate excuse.

Oh, you married guys will get this one. After I got home, my wife asked how the exam went. I told her I popped a vessel straining.

Without looking up from the TV she said in monotone, "Are you constipated...?"
Chuck43, Dude22, Oreste and 6 others like this.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:40 AM   #4

I hope all goes well my friend and you are better very quickly.

If you are only 65, you are still a youngster. As we age, things tend to crop up in the physical department. The alternative to having things go wrong as we age is dying young.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:44 AM   #5

Now that's funny. Take care of yourself Chico.

KEEP CALM AND RETURN FIRE

NRA Life Member
Dude22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:46 AM   #6

Thanks for the kind words. This is one of those "minor" aspects to a doctor, but a tad "major" for me.

I figured I'd do as much corresponding today as I can and answer questions that might be pending. I can see clearly out of my right side, but the left side looks like I'm peering through oily fishnet stockings--which I have done as a younger man, BTW...

We're wondering if the laser treatment might send me home in an eye patch (argggg!) with the depth perception of your average ethnic Madison automobile driver.

I type out a response, then gaze back to maze of red underlines and misspellings. Takes me longer to correct than respond.
KC4YIN, Hoffbrew and roketdoc like this.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:54 AM   #7
Banned

Growing old sucks. Good luck Chico.
1911fan likes this.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:55 AM   #8

Yep. Been there and done that. And it was my "Shootin" eye too. mine happened on a Sunday just after church. Not doing anything unusual. Just walking around. Called my eye doctor expecting to get his voicemail and lo and behold he answered and said to come on over right then. By the following Tuesday I was undergoing laser surgery to correct it.

Go ahead and get it done ASAP as it could lead to a detached retina. You REALLY don't want that to happen. Good luck with it and let us know how it comes out. The surgery, not the eye. When they do the laser surgery it will be a VERY bright light. Be ready. It may be difficult to hold your eye open for it.
KC4YIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:56 AM   #9
Super Moderator

I'm sorry to hear about this Chico, remember you only have 2 eyes do whatever your doctors says. I keep telling you you need to take more breaks in your workout routine but you don't seem to be able to hear me. I'm in the gym 4 days a week and off 3 days for a reason, I'm 72 not 22.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:57 AM   #10

Oh, I'm sure I'll be okay, my doc says this is a routine procedure, and depending if there's a tear or not, I might not even need the laser.

Today the rest feels good, but if I get stuck at home for a week with "treadmill only" work-outs, that's when it will get ugly!