9mm vs .45 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2016, 11:15 AM   #1

9mm vs .45

I can't imagine this hasn't already been overly discussed but I'm bored. I chose 9mm because I've been told it's effective and also because of the cost and availability of ammo.

https://www.policeone.com/Officer-Sa...l-caliber-war/

And I found this summary:

May 6, 2014
FBI Training Division: FBI Academy, Quantico, VA
Executive Summary of Justification for Law Enforcement Partners

The .45 ACP vs. 9mm Cartridge Debate: Does It Really Matter? | Outdoor Life

Most of what is “common knowledge” with ammunition and its effects on the human target are rooted in myth and folklore

Projectiles are what ultimately wound our adversaries and the projectile needs to be the basis for the discussion on what “caliber” is best

In all the major law enforcement calibers there exist projectiles which have a high likelihood of failing LEO’s in a shooting incident and there are projectiles which have a high ting incident likelihood of succeeding for LEO’s in a shooting incident

Handgun stopping power is simply a myth

The single most important factor in effectively wounding a human target is to have penetration to a scientifically valid depth (FBI uses 12” – 18”)

LEO’s miss between 70 – 80 percent of the shots fired during a shooting incident

Contemporary projectiles (since 2007) have dramatically increased the terminal effectiveness of many premium line law enforcement projectiles (emphasis on the 9mm Luger offerings)

9mm Luger now offers select projectiles which are, under identical testing conditions, I outperforming most of the premium line .40 S&W and .45 Auto projectiles tested by the FBI

9mm Luger offers higher magazine capacities, less recoil, lower cost (both in ammunition and wear on the weapons) and higher functional reliability rates (in FBI weapons)

The majority of FBI shooters are both FASTER in shot strings fired and more ACCURATE with shooting a 9mm Luger vs shooting a .40 S&W (similar sized weapons)

There is little to no noticeable difference in the wound tracks between premium line law Auto enforcement projectiles from 9mm Luger through the .45 Auto

Given contemporary bullet construction, LEO’s can field (with proper bullet selection) 9mm Lugers with all of the terminal performance potential of any other law enforcement pistol caliber with none of the disadvantages present with the “larger” calibers

You can tell alot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans. - Ronald Reagan
Spotly is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-28-2016, 11:30 AM   #2

Well, I guess that closes this thread.
Chuck43 and Zoomybaby like this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:43 AM   #3

So "nuff said" ?
Chuck43 likes this.

You can tell alot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans. - Ronald Reagan
Spotly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2016, 11:46 AM   #4

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
Well, I guess that closes this thread.
Whoo, not so fast we're not done yet. I like them both and carry them both for different reasons; around the house and around town I carry my 9 mm single stack P938. If I'm leaving town to go somewhere I take a double stack 9 mm (M&P 9C) with a little bit longer barrel. If were going out camping or fishing or anywhere out in the woods I like to take my 5" 1911 45 with ball ammo that has bone breaking capability for animals (four-legged kind) that I might run into where I'm not worrying about over penetration.
RickOShay, Oreste and roketdoc like this.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:21 PM   #5

Just throwing my two cents in. Like car accidents, your more likely your accidents occur fairly close to home. And, in parallel shooting incidents most likely mirror this statistic in that they will usually occur close to home. With the violent shootings that occur my opinion is, carry a comfortable for you amount of ammunition. Shooters are preparing for their attacks, right? And most have an abundance of ammo. Take a couple of extra magazines along with you in the calibre of your choice but take enough to hopefully get you away and safe. IMHO
Snake15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:20 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Cucamonga kid View Post
Whoo, not so fast we're not done yet.
LOL. I still carry .45 99% of the time. I will occasionally carry my G23 or G27 in .40. I do not own a 9mm, but wouldn't mind having one. Mostly, we carry what we got.
Spotly, speedydg13 and roketdoc like this.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:45 PM   #7

Any firearm works better for me than a pointy stick.
fifthgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:11 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Which came first....the chicken or the egg? I think that debate was started to divert attention away from the caliber debate. They are both horses that have been beat to death many times over.

Ohio Chl holder
NRA member
Old age isn't for sissy's
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:04 PM   #9

I just find it a little convenient that in this day and age of political correctness. More women in LE positions, more men with no military back ground, overall less gun people entering LE. That the cheapest, easiest to shoot well, acceptable cartridge is now just as good or dare I say better then the more exspensive harder to shoot well cartridge's.
While I agree the difference in handgun rounds is not monumental, your not going to convince me that a 147 gran bullet, not traveling all that much faster then a 180 gran or 230 gran bullet is as effective or more effective.
Tankgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:12 PM   #10

Penetration in denim covered ballistics gel doesn't do much to convince me one way or the other.

Show me you can put rounds on target and I don't care what the caliber is.
Marshall, Dude22, Oreste and 5 others like this.

Search tags for this page

9mm vs four legged critters

Click on a term to search for related topics.