Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree9Likes
  • 6 Post By Gmountain
  • 1 Post By bhunted
  • 2 Post By Chuck43

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2016, 07:58 AM   #1

Personal Home Defense Scenarios Exercises

OK Guys.... I've read enough about different training scenarios over the years to only find not one like I designed below. Check this out, use your home as the training scenario and report back here.

Purpose of this thread:

To determine how you would/could handle a real life scenario in different facets and times in your home.

Preparation:

Stage various types of weapons and/or carry if you do that already. If you stage your HD weapons, try staging the ones you use now. At the end of this exercise, if you felt in any way uncomfortable and was not able to control your current weapon, try a different one. What I mean is, if you stage a Shotgun or AR and that didn't work, stage a Hand Gun. Or Vice Versa..

Procedure:

Set up various scenarios in your home involving different times, points of entry by intruder, getting to your defense weapon of choice, etc.

Determining Outcome:

Was your drill successful? What can/will you do to get to the end of the a successful scenario? WHERE/ARE YOU READY TO KILL OR BE KILLED to protect your family?

Expectations:

I don't expect any replies to this unless you have fullfilled the excercise. Please refrain from anything not pertaining to this exercise unless you have done a similar one before. I would like to see any experts in their field, ie.; LE, etc... to lend a helping hand.

Summary:

Did you learn what you only thought you knew? How can you plan better? How can you practice in your home.

Determine what tools will aid you in this endeavor.

Disclaimer:

I am a qualified instructor in another world, but I'm by no means an instructor that trains any HD techniques. I assume no responsibility in anything you do or cause in your life. That means you get hurt, shot or anything of a sort, I am not responsible. Most of what you will read in this particular post is food for thought and some of my personal obstacles.

DO NOT USE LIVE AMMO! THIS IS NOT A LIVE FIRE EXERCISE! Please warn any family members to stay clear or do it while they are not around.

Comments:

This thread was created out of necessity IMHO. I see so many questions here over the years like, but not limited to: Which HD weapon is the best? Where can I get trained? etc., etc.

What someone considers the best, may not be the best for you. What you need to do is determine what is best for you in all scenarios. I will list some below but before I do that, please understand that I am not under minding anyone's recommendations or comments. Please also, do not make this thread into a who is right and who is wrong pissing match.

I also don't expect comments of what your house looks like, how your furniture is set up, etc... What I want to see is how you would handle common day obstacles in your way of creating the best outcome.

Couple of my problems and scenarios, (copied from my posts in another thread and edited for clarity and spelling)...

- I got hypothetical questions for yaz. (I know the answers, but want to see your responses).... Using any weapon in your home for defensive purposes. Has anyone considered, the 'when and where' you'll be using your HD weapon? Now where, is almost obvious. It will vary by room. The 'when' is more of the question. And have you trained in the various locations. Here are a few to consider. I use these examples because we ARE all different.. Scenarios will also vary depending on type of your home. For example, a Ranch, a Colonial, location of bedrooms, locations of staged weapons. There is also the bloody hand not being able to open a bio safe or any combo vs staged guns. But let's answer that one separately.

- You don't have to shoot. I want you to use your own house. You can use snap caps if you desire. Or don't use any type of ammo. Just your weapon of choice. Quick Note: I do not carry in my home. Most of the time I'm in gym shorts and a T-Shirt.

Scenario 1) Ok, here is what I mean. I take naps on my living room couch. Where would my mind be, where is my weapon staged compared to my couch? What condition am I in when I wake up? Is my head in a fog? Can I get to my gun without tripping over the ottoman if I'm not fully awake? How much time did it take to get my weapon ready and draw down or investigate?

Scenario 2) I'm older than most. I have to take meds before I go to bed and depending what time I'm arisen due to noise, dog barking or whatever, I'm a little dopey/dozy... Can I get to a weapon ready status? Can I get out of bed without shooting my foot? My 2nd flr. bedroom is tight as I'm not a bedroom person. I sleep and whatever and I leave it when I'm done. This means I have no room to swing ready a shotgun or AR... Hence, my 1st line of defense is a 45, then if I can make it to my closet, the AR is ready. Is the threat already on the 2nd flr? Did he only make it half way up the stairs, etc...?
------
There are 2 for you to configure to your situation. This is how I train in my own home. Sometimes they are just dry runs, others might be with a laser system. Reason why I bring all this up is because I can almost bet that hardly anyone takes these things into consideration. This is why I question people about HD and what weapon they will use. There is always the best weapon, but it may not work for everyone. Hence, I try not advise people what I think is best. It may not be for them.

------

Please only post your full scenario and your out-come and do you feel your current training is adequate. Run and gun training, tactical training and other types are all fine. But will they work for you in your home? If you do not have any or much training, can you save your life or the life of your loved ones? THIS IS WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT!

What you may fine is your weapon of choice may not be good for you after all. Please take everything I typed here in this post into consideration. Because most of the time an invasion might occur, you might not be at the ready or be able to respond like you would if you were.

Use YOUR HOME as the only example. Use or avoid your walls, furniture, safe rooms, or any obstacles. Think how you awaken from a deep sleep. Can you handle your weapon safely when you do awake? Can you see good enough without your glasses if your wear them? Can you get your family to a safe room or similar? Forget about the dog unless he/she is willing to step in. Forget about hiding and waiting for the threat to come to you, especially if you have a yappy dog, you are toast!

This is about you as your family's main line of defense. CAN YOU DO IT?!

Outcome:

What was your outcome? Don't be shy... you are here to learn.

Was your first weapon of choice the right one for you after all?

Did your drills all work successfully or fail?

Do you need more training? Did your training help?

Final Thoughts:

I've learned a lot in life in all types of crazy tasks. I'm retired, but I've been involved for many years as a first responder and in various types law enforcement.

I am in no longer an expert. Techniques have changed over the years. For example, I trained using the Weaver stance and am good at it.

Today, Isosceles is the recommended stance and even though I can do it, I'm better at Weaver and my muscle memory just automatically goes to it due to the original training.

There are many here that have extensive knowledge of weapons and training in many facets. From Law Enforcement to Military.

I've learned in my life, I'm not as good as I use to be. This is not because I don't train. It's because I'm getting old and more broken as I do. I have had multiple injuries over the years that are getting worse. Some that cannot be reversed. My eye sight is going. Not super bad yet, but for pin point shooting, I have to wear my glasses. But I train home without them. Beings I don't wear them all the time, I may not get to them if I'm in bed or have to fumble for them. ( I can make head shots anywhere in my home! )

Again, don't be shy. We are all here to help. Just PLEASE try keep this thread on track. No screwing around, arguing or flaming please.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II

Last edited by bhunted; 03-11-2016 at 12:57 PM.
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-11-2016, 08:05 AM   #2

This is a reply from one fellow on another forum that tried this...

As I explore more of the threads on this forum I came across yours here and your advice on having a plan and practicing it and wanted to respond and share with you what I have done.
I applaud your taking the time to write out this very important exercise to help others understand that just purchasing and owning a firearm for home protection is not enough. One must learn how to use it properly and become comfortable with it in different scenarios.

My motivation to purchase and learn how to use a handgun was originally for home protection. As I have been taking multiple courses sponsored by the ranges where I am a member, I have discovered that I really enjoy shooting as a recreational sport and plan to continue to explore this interest further with different shooting platforms, calibers and styles of guns. My first gun purchase was a Glock 17 that is my go to handgun for home defense. I have modified the gun to make it even more fun for me to shoot more accurately. For the purpose of home defense, I have added a combination LED light/Green Laser accessory to the gun, since I believe that the chances are much greater that we would hear and encounter an intruder at home when we are in bed asleep. I have a Hornady Rapid Safe under our bedside table where I store my Glock, with two (2) magazines loaded with hollow point ammo. The magazines are not inserted into the gun but are next to the gun.

Even before reading your post here, I had essentially followed most of your suggested routine and have run a “what if” intruder drill three times in the past six months. I have performed this drill on a Saturday night, when my wife has been visiting her family, so I do not freak her out. I set up a travel alarm clock downstairs in our living room by our front door, set to go off around 3:30 a.m. I also put an empty magazine into the gun safe. Here is what happened during each of these drills:

1. Drill #1 - I woke up and had initially forgotten that I had set the alarm for this drill and was in my groggy semi-awake state trying to figure out what it was that I was hearing. I realized afterwards that I had wasted several minutes as I was thinking about different causes for the sound. Once my brain awoke and my memory clicked I jumped out of bed, put on my eyeglasses, I intentionally did not turn on any lights, I opened the gun safe and retrieved my handgun. I did not put one of the loaded magazines into the gun. I flipped the on/off switch on my light/laser and….. nothing happened… no light and no laser…. I then realized that I had inadvertently stored the gun with the laser switch on which of course drained the batteries while the gun was stored. The next day, I replaced the batteries and made sure that the light/laser was turned off when I stored the gun.
(Drill #1: FAIL)

2. Drill #2 - About a month later, this time when the alarm went off I woke up and realized/remembered what it was. Since it was mid-January and our radiant heating system was doing its thing, our house like many this time of year, was very dry with low humidity. Many evenings my wife and I will apply hand lotion before bed to deal with drying skin. I had done just that this evening before bed. When the alarm went off I repeated the sequence of events, but when I picked up my handgun from the gun safe my hands were sort of slippery from the hand lotion and the heat from the radiators made my hands sweat a bit. Not a good situation to securely hold, let alone accurately rack and fire a handgun. I realized that this could be serious impediment to confidently, let alone safely using a gun.
I decided that I would place and have at the ready, a small towel in my bed table to wipe my hands if this situation happens again. (Drill #2: FAIL)

3. Drill #3 - Again, about a month later, this time when the alarm went off I woke up and realized/remembered what it was. I repeated the same sequence of events. This time the light and laser worked. I racked the gun, without any magazine inserted, and practiced verbally speaking to the hypothetical intruder. I would tell my wife to call 911 from either our home phone or her cell phone. I spoke loudly and clearly, saying something along the lines of “We have called 911 and the Police are on their way and will be here in a few minutes. I have a gun and know how to use it. Leave our house immediately….” I remained at the top of our stairs in a semi-kneeling position aiming my gun, light and laser down the stairs, trying to present a very small silhouette/target.
I do not really think I would venture downstairs if this were a real possible break-in since the Police would be here very quickly. In that scenario, I would only go downstairs, leaving my gun behind, but taking my wallet with my ID, to open the front door to greet the Police.
(Drill #3: PASS)

I am glad that I did this and actually practiced this at home, at night, so I would have a better idea of how I would react. By doing so I discovered what some of the potential problems or impediments could be and what I may want to do differently or prepare to address those issues. I appreciate your advice and encouragement to me and others here to not just have a conceptual plan but to actually test it and practice it so you are satisfied that it makes sense and you would not be doing it for the first time in an actual home intrusion/robber/invasion incident. Thank you….

John, aka BHunted

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
Old 03-11-2016, 08:48 AM   #3

If I hear a noise, I'll send my wife down to take a look. If she comes back, all is good. If not, I'll send the dog down.
Chuck43, Islander, glokrok and 3 others like this.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2016, 09:10 AM   #4

Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
If I hear a noise, I'll send my wife down to take a look. If she comes back, all is good. If not, I'll send the dog down.

Lol, seriously though. I recommend anyone try this in their homes. You'll see how efficient you may not be regardless of staged guns.
Please don't Zoomy this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Zoomybaby likes this.

John, aka BHunted

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
Old 03-11-2016, 11:16 AM   #5

So glad you posted this. I think it is important for people to have a plan and even practice it with family. I had thought of this less than ten years ago and decided that I needed a plan.

So many times I had read in the news articles where an intruder(s) kicked open a door and entered with gun in hand getting the drop on the inhabitants catching them off guard. I have even read where they tie them up, do whatever, steal whatever, then shoot them anyway. These news reports kind of scared me in a way. I don't want to be a victim at the mercy of someone who has the gall/courage to enter a home and trust them not to kill me/wife even if I/we do as they say. This is what I did to prepare....

I realized that at night in the evenings we sat in the living room watching tv a lot. The front door visible, the back door being down the hallway in the back of the house. If the front door was suddenly kicked in I needed a weapon with-in reach and a way to get to the pre-determined hunker down bedroom. The back door kicked in and I could defend myself on the way across the hallway to the big scary guns. I also realized that I needed more warning. A front door kick would be too fast to have an edge, a rear would have me blocked from the bedroom room retreat. My answer was to install a video surveillance system. I needed a way to see who was around the house before they kicked the door in. I didn't really care about who broke in while I was away and things that could be replaced...I was concerned about our lives. The system I bought and installed has the monitor beside the big screen tv always on and any movement catches the eye really well. That gives us plenty of time to hunker down, call police, and prepared to face a bad situation. As these systems have gotten so inexpensive there is no excuse for me not to have one..period. Really, you can pay what you want and get as fancy as you want but you can buy an eight camera system for less than $200 on ebay. Actually a pretty good system for a little of nothing. It was my only way in my house to give me an edge. I even have feeds coming off it for two bedroom monitors and my cell phone remote view when I'm away.

My plan: see or hear a threat...run to the saferoom, lock door, call police, hunker down with appropriate protection. The bedroom door being locked is important. It tells you that for someone to kick it in they aren't some visiting family member that used to live with you until they grew up and left the nest, it means they mean business. It will add that awakening noise if/when the other safeguards fail while asleep.
In addition to the awake state I realized I needed additional warning time while asleep. Even for me (being a shift worker) sleeping during the day when some intruders may think no one is home. That's when I subscribed to a home alarm security system. It's not for when I'm away as much as while I/we are at home sleeping, not near camera monitor, etc. For a complete plan to work I think these two security items can do more to keep us safe than all the practicing without, best of guns, best of door locks, or blind luck. Practice I do, but when I have to fight for my life I don't want it to be a fair one. Why retreat instead of going toward danger with superior firepower? When some one enters a dark room after kicking in the door you have the advantage of knowing where they are, it takes them a second to process and figure out where you are and by that time they've been punked in to making a very bad mistake.
I'm sure everyone has their own plan but what ever it is make sure it is one where you survive with the best plan you can come up with. I could not keep $200 from giving me the edge or $29 a month to sleep easier at night or when my wife is home alone. She knows the plan and knows how to operate the artillery. We both know that no matter what we will never kick open the bedroom door because we know what lies on the other side.
fifthgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:22 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Everybody is going to have a different circumstances, what works for me won't necessarily work for anyone else responding to this thread. I've gone through this many times over the years as I was growing older and becoming a little slower.

First of all I live alone in a house that I've owned for almost 40 years. I have a 45 lb dog that doesn't like anyone approaching the house and I have outside floodlights on motion sensors over every entrance. I went through a period where I included a 12 ga shotgun and or a Ruger .44 carbine in my home defense but have eliminated them as being to cumbersome in my older years. Today I depend on my handguns, I carry a 1911 .45 from the time I put my pants on in the morning until I take them off at night. When I say I keep my gun on my night stand that's not exactly true. I put my carry gun in the night stand drawer where there are 4 loaded .45 magazines. On the side of my night stand is another .45 on a magnet approximately 12" from my head. It can't be seen from the bedroom door and if I were getting out of bed you'd never see my grab it until it was too late.

Did you notice the 900 lumen flashlight sitting on the night stand?

When I am sitting, 80% of the time it will be at the kitchen table, under the table is another magnet with my Sig P938, why, because it's small enough that looking at the table from across the room you can't see it. When I call it a day the Sig comes up to my room and is carried down and replaced under the table before I do anything else in the morning.

So what's my plan if I hear someone breaking into my house at night? First things first, I dial 911, I tell them that I think someone is in my house. I tell them that I'm armed, I'm in my bedroom and remaining there until the police arrive. There's nothing in my house that my insurance company can't replace. To get to me they have to come up a stairway that I can easily cover while laying on the floor (smaller target) of my room. Then they have to figure out which of 4 rooms I'm in.

I try to imagine every possible scenario when I thought about my EDC, I went through a period 2 years ago when I had a pinched nerve in my neck that rendered my left hand 95% useless for 4 months. Fortunately my EDC is a Super Carry Pro, the SC line is one of the few Kimbers that come equipped with a rear sight that has a cocking shoulder. What that means is that I can rack the slide single handed hooking the rear sight on my belt, pocket, table top etc. The gun also has an ambidextrous safety so all I had to do to make it 100% single handed operational was to add an extended slide stop. Today all my carry .45's have extended slide stops and ambidextrous safeties, they would also include rear sights with cocking shoulders but Kimber wont sell them without a gun attached to them. I carry different guns at different times but they are always the same type of gun so there is no thinking about the safety, trigger, mag release or anything else.
glokrok and DaVinci like this.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:49 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
Bahahahaheeheehoohoo!
Old 03-11-2016, 12:54 PM   #8

Personal Home Defense Scenarios Exercises

Good start guys. And yes, what works for one, may not for another.
What I want you to concentrate on more though is for example:

- When and where am I vulnerable.
- How are your reaction times among different states; ie, after your medz, after a nap, after your bourbon, (lol)
- Can you navigate slightly impaired.
- Where are your glasses when startled?

This exercise is not about your dogs, cameras or alarms or even where you keep your staged weapon. Its getting to them when not carrying. Its more about what is your state of mind the first time you are aware of the incident. This is the point where your alarm or dog started you OR a near or actual attempt of illegal entry. Focus in your home, not outside.

Reread my exercise a few times and create your own scenario/exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John, aka BHunted

Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II

Last edited by bhunted; 03-11-2016 at 12:57 PM.