Q for the offroad motorcycle riders - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2016, 12:22 PM   #1
Banned

Q for the offroad motorcycle riders

I got the XR350 running yesterday. Still to much snow out preventing getting into the mountains, so I raced it up and down the street. I heard a pop, and thought what was that?

This morning I was going over it closely, I'm anxious to get up to logging/fire roads and on to the trails. Looks like the pop was a spoke busted. Damn, that's never happened before.

Is it going to be one spoke after another? Maybe I should pull the wheel and have the dealer re-lace the entire wheel with all new spokes?
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-12-2016, 12:35 PM   #2

Front or rear? Rear wheel obviously is under some serious torque; front not so much. You could probably buy a new front wheel cheaper than relacing old one. I'd have it looked at for sure cuz it would suck if you where 10 or 20 up some logging road and you heard more pops and pings.
montanaResident likes this.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:42 PM   #3
Banned

Yeah, unfortunately is was a rear. It is an XR350, not some race tuned KTM 450 SX-F. It's not going to be under much more stress then holding my 200+ lbs on the seat.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:48 PM   #4

...post a pic if you can? If it popped out where the spoke screws in chances are it was just loose and can be replaced? Unless you're really hard on the bike, spokes should hold up, 4 stroke vibration can loosen things up though so I'd check all the spokes (may want to check your fillings too)
montanaResident likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:10 PM   #5
Banned

Dayum. Called the dealer. Says can only order an entire spoke kit for $99, and 3 hours to lace the entire wheel. $300.

Online I found a place that will sell single spokes. Pricey at ~$5 each, but that is the way to go, hell yeah! I'll order a couple of lefties and a couple of righties, and do this myself. $300, I was born on a Tuesday, but not last Tuesday.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:57 AM   #6
Banned

Crap!!! I had to order a junked rear wheel. Damn spokes are discontinued. >$100 to get a $5 part. Now I have lots of spare rear wheel parts. When I bought the bike it came with a big box of spare parts; engine case, crank, clutch, levers, etc. When I bust a front spoke and have to buy a whole new front wheel, I’ll almost be able to build a spare motorcycle. This is the problems of buying a Vintage Motorycycle. Every part is subject to breakage and can be an adventure to replace.

Still can't ride. Snow even last night. Mountain roads are not only covered in snow, but uneven hard as nails sheets of ice.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:15 AM   #7

Have you tried this place https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/cl/49/Motorcycle

We desert ride, have seen this happen to others but never left them stranded. I maintain 3 KTM's, so I know about having all kinds of extra parts.

Always be ready - 5.11
Hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:23 AM   #8
Banned

Thanks, tried them and several like them. Parts just not available from Honda, and nobody seems to have extras around. As a teenager I worked in a Honda Kawasaki shop, and parts like this were common. I guess 33 years old is to old to still have short spokes for a drum brake bike.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:30 AM   #9
Super Moderator

My idea of "off roading" is riding my bicycle on the sidewalk.

Sorry, I couldn't resist a chance to be a smart ass this morning.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:35 AM   #10
Banned

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
My idea of "off roading" is riding my bicycle on the sidewalk.

Sorry, I couldn't resist a chance to be a smart ass this morning.
Is your middle name Danger?
Chuck43 likes this.