Don qualifying for IL CCL - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2016, 10:09 AM   #1

Talking Don qualifying for IL CCL

I spent last Saturday and Sunday taking a required class for my IL CC License. IL requires 16 hours of training followed by shooting at a bad guy target. We each did 30 rounds at various distances, the longest at 30'. Military veterans only need to take 8 hours, I chose to take the full course anyway, and I am glad I did. I learned a lot about the law regarding CCWs.

The class was taught by Dale. Dale is a big, burly guy that looks like Santa, is a former Army sniper, police officer and now is a retired prison guard. He is so into the military and guns that he taught his two sons to begin shooting at the age of 6?! One of his sons is now in the Air Force and following in his fathers footsteps with his work as a trainer.

Shooting the target was easy, and I am no marksman. In fact I rapid fired for fun. Yes, that "nut shot" on the bad guy target was purely unintentional.

I am the guy with the blue Carolina Tar Heel hat. People ask me if I went to school at UNC Chapel Hill. I tell them I paid for four years of tuition at UNC for my daughter to go there. She got a degree ...and I got the tuition bills and a hat. Go Heels!

My friend, Dennis, in the black jacket (and fellow Corvette fanatic) took the class with me.

I applied for my license on line with the IL State Police and now have to wait 3-4 months (to be able to exercise my 2nd Amendment right in public). I later will file for a Florida non-resident license, since the class meets requirements for a license there. A FL CCL is accepted in many more states than lib-tard IL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Don qualifying for IL CCL 2.jpg (899.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Don qualifying for IL CCL.jpg (174.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg CCL class.jpg (1.64 MB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Range for CCL class.jpg (3.40 MB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Dennis qualifying for CCL.jpg (3.13 MB, 13 views)
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-21-2016, 10:45 AM   #2

Congrats on completing the course and great pic's...thanks! Too bad it takes your state 3-4 months to complete the licensing process. As a point of reference, my brother and his wife recently completed the required training here in TN, and can expect to get their permits in 2-3 weeks.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, Markie and 1 others like this.
OGCA - Life Member
Cybercycle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:46 AM   #3

What was the scoring requirement for the shooting portion?

Was there a written test for the classroom work or do they assume you absorbed and retained?
Chuck43 likes this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2016, 10:52 AM   #4

Originally Posted by Cybercycle View Post
Congrats on completing the course and great pic's...thanks! Too bad it takes your state 3-4 months to complete the licensing process. As a point of reference, my brother and his wife recently completed the required training here in TN, and can expect to get their permits in 2-3 weeks.
The state says 90-120 days. We'll see how long it takes. It took that long a few years ago to get my FOID card (Firearm owner identification card). To add to my comment about IL being a lib-tard state controlled by Chicago and Cook County, let me add that the IL government is broke. Licensing fees on everything is costing more and taking longer.

I lived in Nashville, Chattanooga and Martin, TN. I sure miss TN!
Chuck43, 2sharp2, Markie and 1 others like this.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:07 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
What was the scoring requirement for the shooting portion?

Was there a written test for the classroom work or do they assume you absorbed and retained?
The instructor told us, but I can't recall exactly. I think it was 21 of 30 rounds must be inside the 7 ring.

Dale told us that for a joke once he literally blind folded himself, shot blindly...and qualified?! What does that tell you about the value of requiring this test?

There was no written test. I thought that was strange.
Chuck43 and Jflytle like this.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:31 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Donald View Post
The instructor told us, but I can't recall exactly. I think it was 21 of 30 rounds must be inside the 7 ring.

Dale told us that for a joke once he literally blind folded himself, shot blindly...and qualified?! What does that tell you about the value of requiring this test?

There was no written test. I thought that was strange.
Has all the earmarks of a revenue generator, not training.
Chuck43 and Marshall like this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:45 PM   #7
Doc

Congratulations Donald! My friend in California just got his CCW permit as well. He had to go through a similar process however it took him nearly 7 months to obtain his CCW permit. California laws are crazy!

I live in Virginia and our requirements are nowhere near as difficult to obtain a CCW permit like your state or a few others. You may want to apply for a Virginia CCW permit cause it opens up nearly 32 states to you.
Chuck43 and Donald like this.

Last edited by Doc; 03-21-2016 at 07:18 PM.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:37 PM   #8

Smile

Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Congratulations Donald! My friend in California just got his CCW permit as well. He had to go through a similar process however it took him nearly 7 months to obtain his CCW permit. California laws are crazy!

I live in Virginia and our requirements nowhere near as difficult to obtain a CCW permit like your state or a few others. You may want to apply for a Virginia CCW permit cause it opens up nearly 32 states to you.
Thanks. I might consider that, Doc. I am past-resident of VA, having lived in Richmond and Herndon, VA in the 80's and 90's.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:44 PM   #9

Originally Posted by Insta-Gator View Post
Has all the earmarks of a revenue generator, not training.
Gator, you have that right!

All of IL license, registration, etc. fees have been jacked-up in the past few years, and I mean jacked up. In some cases 3X what they were a short time ago. I have three vehicles and the annual tax on them went up about double. Property taxes are up. Professional licensing fees (i.e. physicians) have tripled. The state is broke and they keep taxing and spending.
Chuck43 likes this.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:10 PM   #10

Good news, allways love hearing another good guy will be carrying a gun.
Chuck43, Hoffbrew, Markie and 1 others like this.
Tankgunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

illinois ccl forum

Click on a term to search for related topics.