• 5 Post By MPO Southy
  • 4 Post By comanche
  • 1 Post By 2sharp2
  • 3 Post By Chuck43

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2016, 06:18 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Memorial day always to be rememberd by me as decoration day

Today is memorial day formally known as decoration day. The difference being that on decoration we visited cemeteries decorating the graves of those patriots that gave their lives to insure the freedom we enjoy today. It's a day to remember those who gave their lives to ensure we continue to enjoy the beliefs this country was founded upon. Sadly today for the most part memorial day is a 3 day weekend, a day off work and for the most part meaning a family and friends gathering, cooking out and enjoying the benefits of a way of life guaranteed by the sacrifices made by those forgotten warriors. I spent a portion of the day at a cemetery paying my respects and decorating the resting places of my fallen brothers and can only pray that a portion of our generation will remember the true meaning of the day, respect and hopefully some of us will continue to pass the true meaning of the day on to our younger family members. It's only through them and the truths that they are taught by us that our American way life will continue.

Last edited by Chuck43; 05-31-2016 at 05:39 AM.
Chuck43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-30-2016, 06:30 PM   #2

We drove yesterday to the cemetery where my wife's parents are buried and took flowers and flags to hang. Father in law was a Korean War POW. It gets me when I hear about all the sales etc. on this day. Our country has been led away from what Memorial Day really means.
Participant of the Southeast Asia War Games, 1971.
Markie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:05 PM   #3

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Today is memorial day formally known as decoration day. The difference being that on decoration we visited cemeteries decorating the graves of those patriots that gave their lives to insure the freedom we enjoy today. It's a day to remember those who gave their lives to ensure we continue to enjoy the beliefs this country was founded upon. Sadly today for the most part memorial day is a 3 day weekend, a day off work and for the most part meaning a family and friends gathering, cooking out and enjoying the benefits of a way of life guaranteed by the sacrifices made by those forgotten warriors. I spent a portion of the day at a cemetery paying my respects and decorating the resting places of my fallen brothers and can only pray that a portion of our generation will remember the true meaning of the day, respect and hopefully some of us will continue to pass the true meaning of the day on to our younger family members. It's only through them and the truths that they are taught by us that our American way life will continue.
Well stated Chuck.I personally would like to call it "Remembrance Day".We have a small local cemetery within walking distance of my house and we went there today to straighten out the grounds and some flags that had fallen over.The oldest vet there is a Confederate Vet but there are also WW1,WW2,Korean War Vets.Surprisingly enough,no Vietnam Vets.
MPO Southy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2016, 09:58 PM   #4

In Thailand we do not have this kind of national days. I want to have one indeed. Those who were fallen in a fight for their country and her people deserve the commemorating day.
Thai army, navy and air force are quite small. In modern days we took part in Korean war, Vietnam war as a part of the UN force. Some US air bases were stationed on our soil during Vietnam war era. The greatest victory of the modern Thai arm forces in my opinion was that one over the Thai Communist Party arm force after the fall of South Vietnam in 1975. 5 years till 1981, we had to fight with the communist insurgents with little support from our allies. The guerrilla warfare took places all over the country, from north to south and from east to west. It was predicted that Thailand will be the next domino after Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia, to the communists. But the Thai arm forces could make it...they won the war. Several thousands of lives of soldiers, Marines (Thai marine force belongs to the navy) and airmen were lost then. The bravery and sacrifices of theirs should have been more remembered and saluted than it is today...much more. I think because the war they fought and won was against Thais who then were communists, it was a civil war. To celebrate the victory and commemorate the veterans might create some irritating feelings in our society. Too bad!

Anyway...I agree with you Chuck
Chuck43, Hoffbrew, Markie and 1 others like this.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:54 AM   #5

Chuck, our first year of being married my wife said BTW the first Sunday in May we are going to Alabama for Decoration Day. I said going where for what. I said are we going to church? She said no we are going to the cemetery next to the church. Me: what will we do there? Put flowers on my grandmothers and great grand parents grave. I had never heard if that. Since it was Alabama I wrote it off to a Southern thing.
Now I hear you (my Brother) know all about Decoration Day and you live way up North. Small world.
Markie likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:06 AM   #6

My Dad called it Decoration Day. He was a WWII Army vet, Iwo Jima and Philippines.

Mike
NRA
Amvets Life Member
Navy Vet
RugerLuger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:13 AM   #7

Yes Chuckels you are old.
I remember it called Decoration Day but haven't thought about it in a long time.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:31 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Facts you may not have known about Memorial Day

Did you know today wasn't always called Memorial Day?

Memorial Day was originally called Decoration Day. To honor the deceased, soldiers would decorate graves of their fallen comrades with flowers, flags and wreaths. Hence Decoration Day. Although Memorial Day became its official title in the 1880s, the holiday wouldn't legally become Memorial Day until 1967. Decoration Day is still honored separately as a day of mourning soldiers and visiting family gravesites in several states in the South.

Congress and President Lyndon Johnson declared Waterloo, N.Y., the 'birthplace' of Memorial Day. There, a ceremony on May 5, 1866, honored local veterans who had fought in the Civil War. Businesses closed and residents flew flags at half-staff. Supporters of Waterloo's claim say earlier observances in other places were either informal, not community-wide or one-time events.

There no veterans left alive from the the Spanish-American War, which was fought in 1898, but there are 43 spouses still alive and receiving veterans benefits. There were 385 battle deaths in that war.

Between the beginning of the Revolutionary War in 1775 and the First Gulf War, which ended in 1991, a total of 651,031 soldiers were killed in combat. The most U.S. service members killed in battle during a war was during World War II, with 291,557 battle deaths and 113,842 others who died in service during the war.

One of the conflicts with some of the fewest U.S. service members killed in battle include the First Sumatran expedition in 1832, in which the U.S. Navy attacked the village of Kuala Batee in Indonesia in response to the massacre of the crew of the merchantman Friendship a year earlier. Two U.S. sailors were killed.

Red poppies are known as a symbol of remembrance, and it's a tradition to wear them to honor those who died in war. The tradition was inspired by the famous World War I poem 'In Flanders Fields.' American professor Moina Michael replied with her own poem: 'We cherish too, the Poppy red That grows on fields where valor led, It seems to signal to the skies That blood of heroes never dies.'

Arlington National Cemetery was founded in 1864 during the Civil War when 200 acres of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee's Arlington plantation were set aside as a cemetery. The intent was to render the house uninhabitable should the Lee family ever attempt to return. The first soldier laid to rest there was Pvt. William Christman, 21, of the 67th Pennsylvania Infantry, who was buried in a plot on Arlington's northeast corner on May 13, 1864.

The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, laid to rest in Arlington Cemetery, is guarded meticulously. Each soldier guarding the Tomb marches 21 steps down the black mat behind the Tomb, turns, faces east for 21 seconds, turns and faces north for 21 seconds, then takes 21 steps down the mat and repeats the process. After the turn, the sentinel executes a sharp 'shoulder-arms' movement to place the weapon on the shoulder closest to the visitors to signify that the sentinel stands between the Tomb and any possible threat. Twenty-one was chosen because it symbolizes the highest military honor that can be bestowed -- the 21-gun salute.

The idea of Vietnam Veterans Memorial was spearheaded by wounded Vietnam War vet Jan Scruggs, using $2,800 of his own money to form the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund in 1979. The U.S. Congress set aside land for the Washington D.C.-based memorial, but the V-shaped wall was built without government funds. All donations came from the private sector. Bob Hope and other celebrities lent a hand with fundraising, and by 1981 some 275,000 Americans, along with corporations, foundations, veterans groups, civic organizations and labor unions, had given $8.4 million to the project.

More than 218,000 Americans are buried or memorialized oversees. Many of America's war dead are buried in American military cemeteries located in Europe: France has 11 American cemeteries, the most of any other country. Belgium has three, the United Kingdom and Italy, two, Luxembourg and the Netherlands, one. There are U.S. military cemeteries outside of Europe, too. The oldest military cemetery located outside the U.S is the Mexico City National Cemetery. It dates from 1847 and is the burial site of nearly 750 unidentified American soldiers killed in the Mexican-American War, and later from the U.S. Civil War and Spanish-American War. There are others in Panama, Manila, and in Tunisia.
Nellybelle, Markie and Cybercycle like this.