Friends of Steve McQueen Car Show - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2016, 01:55 AM   #1

Friends of Steve McQueen Car Show

This is what my lovely and I did today.

Quick backstory... Little Steven McQueen was a young punk who got into serious trouble with the law. The judge sent him to a special school out in the middle of nowhere, called the Boys Republic. The motto of the school is "Nothing Without Labor." Here, kids get an education, but they also learn a trade. It could be masonry, carpentry, cabinetmaking, farming, culinary arts, etc. The school is in it's 99th year and still doing great work at turning troubled boys into upstanding men.

After Steve got straightened out and became a successful actor, he never forgot where he came from. He was always supporting of the Boys Republic. After his death, some of his friends, including his son Chad, were brainstorming about how to support the school. Since Steve was a gearhead, they decided to do a car show. It's the sort of thing he would like. 2016 was the ninth year for the show, and the goal was 10,000 visitors and a half million for the school. It really is a spectacular event.

My wife and I usually bring antique engines for display, but this past year she finished her 1965 Mustang. Her mother bought the car new in 1964, and it became Kelley's first car in 1977. It's been her "restoration project" for over 25 years, and she finished it a few months ago. It only made sense to bring it to the Boys Republic, along with one of our engines.

Click the URL to see a few pictures from today. Oh, and I'd like to add... Kelley took home the Best Early Mustang Award. This is the second show she's attended, and she's trophied both times.

Heres' the pics:
https://flic.kr/s/aHskBHQ9fe
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-05-2016, 04:15 AM   #2

Congratulations to Kelley, her car looks great. I love the antique engine. Great photos Rusty. It's a nice thing to come this event to help people learn a trade and get their lives back.
RustyIron likes this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:10 AM   #3

Good for Kelley, nice Mustang!
RustyIron likes this.

Mike
NRA
Amvets Life Member
Navy Vet
RugerLuger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2016, 06:38 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Congratulations on taking a trophy Kelly, Rusty that engine is fascinating how about telling us a little about it?
RustyIron likes this.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:24 AM   #5

Nice job on the restoration and looks like Kelly really earned that trophy.
RustyIron likes this.
OGCA - Life Member
Cybercycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:05 AM   #6

Nice going Kelly! Love the classics when someone brings them back to life!
RustyIron likes this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:35 PM   #7

Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Congratulations on taking a trophy Kelly, Rusty that engine is fascinating how about telling us a little about it?
As you probably already know, Chuck, we collect and restore antique stationary engines. We kind of have an affinity for the rare ones.

This one is a White Gasoline Engine. It was designed by Clarence White and built by the Globe Iron Works in Minneapolis in 1901. It is one of four remaining in the United States. There are a few more in Australia and New Zealand, White's primary markets. As far as I know, this is the best remaining example. It's the most desirable engine in our collection.

The engine runs on gasoline, ignition is via a low tension ignitor. Speed is governed by the brass flyballs, which disconnect the exhaust, intake and ignition when the engine is up-to-speed.

I don't have any videos of this engine running, but you can see some videos of some of our other engines at https://www.youtube.com/user/rustyironrob/videos.
Zoomybaby, OLE442 and JC45 like this.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:43 PM   #8

Rob:

I'm really enjoying your videos.....especially the Stationary Engine Powered Ice Cream Freezer! Really neat machines you have there!
RustyIron likes this.
OLE442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:56 PM   #9

Thanks, Ole. If you like the ice cream, you'll really like this one. I'm the still photographer in the family, but my wife makes nicer videos.

It was becoming a tradition we'd have about twenty people over for squeezing apples. Wife and I drive up to the mountains and fill up the back of the truck, then the next day we barbecue and make apple juice. It's a fun thing, but the past two years the local apple crop has been virtually non-existent. We had good rains this year, so we're hoping for a good harvest and a good party in the fall.

OLE442 and GoingSolo like this.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:25 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Thanks Rusty, those are some great video's. You have nice collection, I imagine they're heavy as hell, it must take a lot to move them to shows.
RustyIron likes this.