Dog breed identification request - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2016, 03:15 PM   #1
Banned

Dog breed identification request

I had to put down my best buddy 10 days ago.

I'm now looking for a new best buddy. Rescue woman has sent me these two pictures. She says maybe an Akita/Pug mix. Don't look at all like a Pug, face is all wrong. Akita not looking right either, where's the hair? Awfully cute looking, healthy, calm, a good hiking buddy, etc...

Anybody?

Last edited by montanaResident; 06-29-2016 at 02:46 PM.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-05-2016, 03:27 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about your best friend there. Believe me, been there, I know how you feel. This one sure is cute no matter what mix is in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
montanaResident likes this.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:45 PM   #3
Banned

No doubts on the cuteness. I'm looking for a 1yo, 20 to 40lbs, short haired best buddy. Rather hard to fill those targets, with a puppy whose heritage cannot be reasonably guessed at. The rescue folks are experts, but Akita/Pug, seems way off the mark.

Old 06-05-2016, 04:16 PM   #4

Originally Posted by montanaResident View Post
No doubts on the cuteness. I'm looking for a 1yo, 20 to 40lbs, short haired best buddy. Rather hard to fill those targets, with a puppy whose heritage cannot be reasonably guessed at. The rescue folks are experts, but Akita/Pug, seems way off the mark.
So sorry to hear about your dog.

We adopted a 1 year old 37 pound short haired dog 9 years ago. He's at my feet right now.

That picture sort of looks like he has some boxer in him. Maybe shephard. Hard to tell with muttley dogs. I think my dog has boxer, and I have no idea what else. Same coloring as that picture.

My dog has the same coloration.

That pup has some big feet though. If he really is Akita, he's going to be pretty big. You never know though. Looks like he needs a home.

Pug seems unlikely, as does Akita. How would they know that without knowing the parents?
glokrok and montanaResident like this.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:29 PM   #5

Very sorry for your loss. Nothing helpful to be said along those lines.

As for the pup, I can see Pug in the face but no sign of Akita except possibly the build? Solid body, big legs and feet! No matter what is in the gene pool, that one will be solid! How old at the picture time?

We have one left who is currently 15, as close as we can figure. When asked I tell people she's a Wonder Dog. Just cause we wonder what she really is?

Can you see the pup in person? If so then visit and go with your gut feeling. If things don't click, walk away. If it happens for both of you then go for it!

Let us know what happens.

Russ
Old 06-05-2016, 04:46 PM   #6

I had to put down my best buddy 10 days ago
Sorry to hear about your dog.....it is a very sad time for sure!!

The new pup looks like it has some Boxer but you never really know what they will look like in 9 months. Usually vets kinda see traits that give them ideas as to the breed(s).

We had 3 dogs. One is a 14 year old mutt named Bob that we inherited from our son when he moved away to Denver (Bob doesn't do well with change).The next dog is a 14 year old Scottie we took in per my mother-in-laws request right before she passed away. Both these guys are geriatric and have problematic health issues but my wife is very spot on with their care!

The youngest dog was Janis, a 140 lb. English Mastiff my daughter rescued as a puppy. I fell in love with that big moose from the first time I saw her big brown eyes. After the dog was almost a year old, my daughter realized her house was too small for a Mother, Father, 5 year old girl and a baby on the way. To her surprise, I offered to take Janis and my wife agreed. We had her for almost 3 years when we found out she had lymphoma.....my wife and the vet did the best they could do and the meds & special attention gave her another 6 months. She did pretty well until the last day and all hell broke lose and we had her put to sleep. I still saw her and heard her for a few weeks afterward........my wife and I really miss that girl! Once the two old guys pass away, I will get another English Mastiff!

I hope your search for a new dog works out well and you find another dog who can fill in for your buddy!
OLE442 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:04 PM   #7

Originally Posted by montanaResident View Post
You seem pretty active outdoors. My favorite 20 pounder is the Jagd Terrier! Can ride with you either horseback or on quad and easily trained to hunt anything from sheds to elk. Good luck.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:14 PM   #8

So sorry.
Cute, healthy, calm. If you're ready i think you found your buddy.
Could be some Akita there and maybe boxer? I like it already.

Mike
NRA
Amvets Life Member
Navy Vet

Last edited by RugerLuger; 06-05-2016 at 05:19 PM.
RugerLuger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:20 PM   #9
Banned

Heard back from the rescue woman. Momma was Akita/Pug, father unknown. I'm not interested in an Akita, to much hair. A Pug with it's flat nose, tiny size, heavy wrinkled face, not interested either. But the combo, looks like a keeper. Shall see...
Cybercycle and RugerLuger like this.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:34 PM   #10

Sounds like that little guy is tugging at your "heart strings"...might as well give in and take him home!
OGCA - Life Member
Cybercycle is offline   Reply With Quote