Breaking news in Dallas... - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2016, 12:32 PM   #1

Breaking news in Dallas...

... this at Love Field
Officer-involved shooting shuts down Dallas Love Field Airport; suspect taken to hospital | | Dallas Morning News

had to have been using 9mm
Old 06-10-2016, 12:50 PM   #2

Originally Posted by glokrok View Post
had to have been using 9mm
This ought to fuel the 9mm vs 40 S&W debate. 9 shots?!? Shot placement is key but for everyone that says 9mm is as good or better than 40, I disagree.
DaVinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:54 AM   #3

I dont see anything in there that raises 9mm vs 40 issues/points. Did I miss something?

You can tell alot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans. - Ronald Reagan
Spotly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2016, 06:35 AM   #4
Banned

Originally Posted by Spotly View Post
I dont see anything in there that raises 9mm vs 40 issues/points. Did I miss something?
9 shots vs. 40???
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:52 AM   #5

My point was 9 shots from a 40 should theoretically do more damage than 9 shots of 9mm. The distance appears to be about 5 yards and his stance is solid, so realistically he should have hit 9 out of 9. I would argue that with the 40, they would be performing an autopsy instead of a hospital stay.
glokrok likes this.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:02 AM   #6

i noticed that he was shooting toward the building where people were inside. i would assume he took those shots knowing he was hitting his target.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:14 AM   #7

Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
My point was 9 shots from a 40 should theoretically do more damage than 9 shots of 9mm. The distance appears to be about 5 yards and his stance is solid, so realistically he should have hit 9 out of 9. I would argue that with the 40, they would be performing an autopsy instead of a hospital stay.
...maybe so, the first hit would have penetrated more, but it's all about placement. Generally speaking a 9mm is more controllable than a .40 for most shooters. No telling what or who would have been hit with the .40. They may have needed to perform several autopsies?
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:29 AM   #8

Originally Posted by glokrok View Post
i noticed that he was shooting toward the building where people were inside. i would assume he took those shots knowing he was hitting his target.
This was my takeaway as well. He didn't hesitate for fear of missing his target.

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
...maybe so, the first hit would have penetrated more, but it's all about placement. Generally speaking a 9mm is more controllable than a .40 for most shooters. No telling what or who would have been hit with the .40. They may have needed to perform several autopsies?
Would you rather have stopping power or worry about multiple casualties? If the guy had a weapon, I would have been very disappointed/afraid that it took 9 shots to injure him enough to stop throwing rocks much less firing back at me. At 5 yards, being able to control a 9 vs 40 shouldn't come into play. At farther distances, I would agree but at this distance, you should easily be back on center mass with either.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:32 AM   #9

Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
This was my takeaway as well. He didn't hesitate for fear of missing his target.

Would you rather have stopping power or worry about multiple casualties? If the guy had a weapon, I would have been very disappointed/afraid that it took 9 shots to injure him enough to stop throwing rocks much less firing back at me. At 5 yards, being able to control a 9 vs 40 shouldn't come into play. At farther distances, I would agree but at this distance, you should easily be back on center mass with either.
The .40 has more juice there's no debate? Most trained LEOs should be adept at using either caliber one would think? The fact that this LEO needed to fire nine times puts his skills in question in my mind?
On a related note, I was talking with a LEO in High Point, NC a few weeks ago. I couldn't tell what he had in the holster so I asked. Turned out to be one of the new Sig p320s, Sig had given his department some for use. He continued that although he was just as accurate with his previous service weapon many of the other officers vastly improved at the range with the Sig? Although 9mm vs .40 or Sig vs Glock may not be an issue for you it could be for someone else?
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:37 AM   #10

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
The .40 has more juice there's no debate? Most trained LEOs should be adept at using either caliber one would think? The fact that this LEO needed to fire nine times puts his skills in question in my mind?
On a related note, I was talking with a LEO in High Point, NC a few weeks ago. I couldn't tell what he had in the holster so I asked. Turned out to be one of the new Sig p320s, Sig had given his department some for use. He continued that although he was just as accurate with his previous service weapon many of the other officers vastly improved at the range with the Sig? Although 9mm vs .40 or Sig vs Glock may not be an issue for you it could be for someone else?
I am not trying to disparage anyone. I fully believe in that you should shoot what you're most comfortable with. I also believe that bigger is better. I like shooting my 9s but I am a lot more comfortable carrying my 40s and 45s (thanks to Chuck, I am now looking into the .460 Rowland).

You bring up a good point that 9 shots might very well be the shooter as opposed to the round. I feel that if you are a LEO, you should do everything in your power to become as proficient as possible with your weapon. With your life and the lives of others depending on it. I get frustrated with those that don't (although I know that some people just can't shoot accurately no matter what they do). Reminds me of watching Shaquille O'Neal shoot free throws, from the same distance/height of the basket from when he started playing basketball and only able to shoot about 50%. When that's your job, it is expected of you to do it well.
cousinmark likes this.