NICS/No Fly List. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion Forum

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2016, 07:38 AM   #1
Super Moderator

NICS/No Fly List.

One of the big questions in the news the last couple of days is "How can someone on the No Fly List pass a NICS check and buy a gun?" Good question, I didn't have an answer so I did a little computer search and what it appears to boil down to is...

The National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) is a U.S. system for determining if prospective firearms or explosives buyers' name and birth year match those of a person who is not eligible to buy. It was mandated by the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act (Brady Law) of 1993 and launched by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) in 1998.

The No Fly List is a list, created and maintained by the United States government's Terrorist Screening Center (TSC).

The Terrorist Screening Center (TSC) is a division of the National Security Branch of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

So if both departments come under the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is it just a matter of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing?
Old 06-15-2016, 08:21 AM   #2

Sounds kinda simple for something set up by the folks in Washington? Are you sure you're not missing a rung or two Chuck?
Chuck43 likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:31 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
Sounds kinda simple for something set up by the folks in Washington? Are you sure you're not missing a rung or two Chuck?
Like I stated, I have no idea of how the system works. My simple search found that both the NICS list and the No Fly list come under the department of the FBI. POTUS was on TV asking how someone on the No Fly list could buy a gun. Maybe instead of asking the television audience he should be asking his head of the FBI.
OLE442, Markie, Cybercycle and 2 others like this.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:46 AM   #4

I've never looked into the thing myself so really don't how it's set up. I do know it can't be that hard to get a flag to show up for background check purposes? Felons and such are added regularly, just add these guys to the same data base?
Old 06-15-2016, 09:00 AM   #5

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
I've never looked into the thing myself so really don't how it's set up. I do know it can't be that hard to get a flag to show up for background check purposes? Felons and such are added regularly, just add these guys to the same data base?
I stated in another thread where this came up why I believe the two are different and cannot be intertwined.

NICS denies someone a Constitutional right based on due process (conviction of a felony or certain misdemeanor under the Lautenberg Act).

A person can be placed on the No Fly without a conviction in U.S. courts of anything. Flying on a commercial airline is not a right, so being denied that privilege cannot result in a 1983 action against the placing agency or the airline.

I see the no fly as a "suggested" action by the airlines who can deny service other than those protected areas under the Civil Rights Act of 1983. The government "suggests" through this list to the airlines that "this" guys should be refused service. The airline is scared of lawsuits and no way would allow this guy on their plane just in case he did something.

There are what you may consider " good" folks on other nations no fly lists. Radio show host Michael Savage was on Great Britian's list.

Again, it gets slippery when we deny rights without due process of law. Especially when the result will end up being class action suits for discrimination because the vast majority will end up being dark skinned folks with alphabet, hyphenated names.

I do not pretend to know the answer but the old saying of this country is 100 guilty go free before incarcerating one innocent....
MPO Southy, Markie and Cybercycle like this.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:27 AM   #6

I don't know man, I see this as more of a "we're at war" thing so getting a handle on the immediate threat is the focus for the time being. I'm an advocate of profiling too...
This last crazy ba$tard had Disney on his list of targets. I'm more concerned about that. Just my opinion.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:30 PM   #7

I believe we're all on some type FBI list.
I like the 'Freedom To Own' FBI list.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:01 PM   #8

Originally Posted by Mike240 View Post
I stated in another thread where this came up why I believe the two are different and cannot be intertwined.

NICS denies someone a Constitutional right based on due process (conviction of a felony or certain misdemeanor under the Lautenberg Act).

A person can be placed on the No Fly without a conviction in U.S. courts of anything. Flying on a commercial airline is not a right, so being denied that privilege cannot result in a 1983 action against the placing agency or the airline.

I see the no fly as a "suggested" action by the airlines who can deny service other than those protected areas under the Civil Rights Act of 1983. The government "suggests" through this list to the airlines that "this" guys should be refused service. The airline is scared of lawsuits and no way would allow this guy on their plane just in case he did something.

There are what you may consider " good" folks on other nations no fly lists. Radio show host Michael Savage was on Great Britian's list.

Again, it gets slippery when we deny rights without due process of law. Especially when the result will end up being class action suits for discrimination because the vast majority will end up being dark skinned folks with alphabet, hyphenated names.

I do not pretend to know the answer but the old saying of this country is 100 guilty go free before incarcerating one innocent....
I think you nailed it Mike.
MPO Southy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:32 PM   #9

My simple search found that both the NICS list and the No Fly list come under the department of the FBI. POTUS was on TV asking how someone on the No Fly list could buy a gun. Maybe instead of asking the television audience he should be asking his head of the FBI.
Abso-freakin-lutely!!
OLE442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:57 PM   #10

This is all assuming that a terrorist on the no fly list even tries to obtain a gun legally. If they are dangerous enough to get on the no fly list chances are they will get a weapon by any means necessary. At that point some list on a government database will stop nothing other than them getting on a plane.
cousinmark and Cybercycle like this.
Mini Me is offline   Reply With Quote