Kimber Talk Forums banner

Truck gun?

3K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  PaulWVa 
#1 · (Edited)
I've heard from some folks and read where some folks have a designated truck gun with extra mags. Usually of a larger size, capacity and caliber than their EDC. And I assume it's something they leave in their truck overnight and locked up in their driveway so that its always there for a SHTF senario while your out. Sounds like a good idea but I can't get comfortable with the idea of someone breaking into my vehicle and then being armed to break into my house. Too paranoid? What say you.

#4 · (Edited)
Working on my Truck gun. 10.5 inch AR15 with a Sig Brace. Registered as Pistol, good under my Concealed Carry Permit. Mount to the back of cab with a electronic card lock. Covered with fabric, can't tell it's there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now, "that's" what I'm talkin' 'bout Willis!

#5 ·
A Glop19 has resided in the glovebox of my truck for the past 17 years 24/7/365 other than for practice/cleaning and of course to use as a my cabin or hotel nightstand gun when traveling overnight.... or to take the occasional pic. :D

I've recently purchased a Mossberg Shockwave as a supplemental truck gun.

Are you "too paranoid" about possible theft? I have no concerns but you may have a different set of criteria or circumstance.

My attitude changed watching the L.A. Riots and seeing innocents being dragged from their vehicle on street, surrounded by hostiles and beaten to near death with zero help from police and none on the way. Nope... I'm not going out like that if I can help it.

#6 · (Edited)
I share a special feeling about this post.

I had a designated "Truck Gun" until night before last!

IMHO the Ultimate SHTF pistol.

A Sig Sauer P229 in .357Sig.
Loaded with (3) 12 magazines Underwood Extreme Penetrator. ammunition.

I kept it in my center console of my Ram 1500 Crew cab.

I park my truck outside unless stormy weather.

I guess I only "Thought" I hit to lock button.

Anyway yesterday morning went to get in the pickup and seen both the upper and lower consoles open.

Yup.
Someone broke in and stole it.

I felt sick.

First of all a firearm in the criminal hands.

But also vehicle insurance does not cover such things.
And homeowners a person usually carries a $500-1,000 deductible.

As soon as I could (after work) I reported it to the police.

I was told majority of homeowner crime is where the just walk down the block raising door handles. When they find an open vehicle the strike.

As I understand there are websites that pawn shops follow about stolen firearms and other merchandise.

Long and short.
Little Chance it will be recovered.

But at the same time a P229 Legion is going to stick out like a sore thumb on the stolen market...

Last night I explored the different avenues of securing a firearm better in a vehicle.
Some cheap.
Some expensive.

Don't know what will work best for me.
Except discipline!
Moving the "TRUCK GUN" indoors at night.

#14 ·
Dog Furniture Plant Dog breed Liver

Go ahead. Make my Daddy's day!

The only thing that might have saved me in a situation like that would be my motion activated security lights and my CCTV camera pointed at my truck in the driveway. As they approach my truck they would be lit up and videoed. There is also alarm systems on my doors, a Ring door bell button and a yappy little Cha-weenie dog if they even touch the door knob. Even with all that, after DGM's story, I'm not leaving a gun in my truck overnight.
My house is in a pretty nice neighborhood but only 2 miles away is a little low rent town where most of your crack dealers, burglars, rapists, child molesters and general ne'er-do-wells reside. Every day in the paper where it's reported that they arrested someone for a crime they are usually from that little town. Just sayin' - Carry on

#15 ·
The only time that I carried a b.u.g was when the Ferguson riots were going on here 3 years ago. It was a snub revolver and I really don't know why I even brought it with me because I have 3 loaded mags with my edc and if I can't protect myself with 21 rounds I deserve what I get if something would happen.

The "ONLY" time my edc is left in my truck is during working hours. It's in a safe hidden under my backseat with a cable attached to it that wraps around the frame of the truck seat. My truck is parked under a camera in front of the office window and parked 50 yards inside the main gate. Am I happy that I have to leave it in there ? No I am not, but it sure beats driving through the projects on my way home without it.

One of the biggest reasons that criminals have guns is people leaving them in their cars/trucks and not locked up and when they are stolen the old "I thought it would never happen to me because I live in a nice neighborhood" saying rears it's ugly head.

#16 ·
I agree with Marshall.

I THOUGHT I had hit the LOCK button.

Outcome proves I Didn't.

Done some research about available devices.

One looks nice.

RAM Trucks 2010-Current Security Console Insert

But downside might hinder Instant Access for the Owner.

I just pray something terrible doesn't happen with a firearm in criminal hands.

#28 ·
One looks nice.
RAM Trucks 2010-Current Security Console Insert

But downside might hinder Instant Access for the Owner.
Sorry about the loss.

I did some research too and went with this one instead. From what I can tell, the hinge is sturdier (looks) and it is spring-loaded, which I dont think the tuffy is. This has been nice because access is gained simply my lifting the console lid. Of course then you have to always remember to latch and lock when you get out. I've got a friend who just keeps the combo a number or so off. I would be sure it's a combo and not a key that you have to fumble to find.

Neither of these is super secure in the console though unless you actually run a bolt through the inside and into the chassis - they simply come with machine screws to attach to the plastic console.

The metal is fairly thick though not quite 1/4 inch. The lock "arm" runs through 3 layers of the metal, so seems pretty secure. I'm sure given lots of time (truck is stolen) a person could bust into it but I dont see that as a possibility parked in my back yard behind a fence with security lights and an alarm nor when on the street when I'm at work (no guns allowed inside):
Lock'er Down Security Products

#17 · (Edited)
Normally, I would carry my underfolder AK47 as my truck gun, but after having several vehicles broken into through the years, I'm a little leery. I have a lockable compartment under the rear seat, but I need that for my 20K lb tow strap and trailer jack.

#19 · (Edited)
As Marshall said;

"leaving them in their cars/trucks and not locked up and when they are stolen the old "I thought it would never happen to me because I live in a nice neighborhood" saying rears it's ugly head".

Plus I never heard a peep from my Vicious Attack Dog "Honey Belle".

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Flooring Wood

Cocker Spaniel.

No excuse, but I felt SAFE with it LOCKED inside.
But people make mistakes....

Reactions: starnovi and Elf1
#20 ·
A few years back I went out to my truck one morning to go to work and I found my eight round Colt 45 magazine lying on the ground next to my door. I picked it up and thought what the heck I must've dropped it when I got out last night; well come to find out someone went down our street and opened every car they could find unlocked and I guess the purp picked up that magazine and figured can't find a gun maybe the owner has it maybe is going to come out and shoot him for breaking into my vehicle. Come to find out when I got home from work that day my next-door neighbor informed me that all of his tools were stolen from pick up truck. That's when the light went on and realized that someone went down the street looking for unlocked car doors, mine included. Thank God I took the gun in the house with me at that time.
I only wish that I posted this thread a couple of days ago; DGM might've gone out and check those locks.
Check with your neighbors if you know them DGM because I'm sure yours was not an isolated incident.

#21 ·
DGM,
Sorry to hear about your incident and loss of a good pistol.

Many years ago, when I lived in New Orleans I kept an AMT 380 Stainless in the console of my GMC S-10 truck. I had spent most of the weekend washing, waxing and changing the oil in the truck. Had a full tank of gas. Because my boat was in the garage, I parked it in the driveway. Came out Monday morning and the truck was gone. It was later found in the absolute worst part of New Orleans (East side in the boonies) stripped down pretty good, and of course the AMT was long gone. That was a terrible experience and losing that pistol bugged me because it was in the hands of someone that should not have a weapon.

These days I have two pistols that I tend to keep in my Honda Ridgeline; a S&W Bodyguard or a Diamondback DB. I have a wallet holster that they both fit in and keep in it in the sleeve on the back of passenger front seat where it is easily accessed from the drivers seat. My reasoning is that most bad guys check the console compartment(s), glove box and under seats. I have a small holster that is clipped to the front part of drivers seat that I put the pistol in if I am in an area or situation that concerns me to have very easy and inconspicuous access. I figure if they find the holster (empty) it might cause them to skidaddle thinking the owner of the truck, along with the weapon that goes in that holster might be forthcoming :)

I keep my truck, as well as wife's X3 in the garage at night. If, for some reason I have to leave my truck outside, everything valuable & visible (down to ink pens) is brought in. I need to look in to a locable safe that I can bolt down in the trunk in the bed for times when I am out and about and have to leave it unattended for a while. That trunk is one of the reasons I am on my second Ridgeline as it is great for putting my backpack and other stuff in rather than leaving in back seat like most people. Since the tailgate opens the traditional way with most pickups, you have to know that it also opens "swing open - barn door style" to open the trunk and really have to know where the button is to open it also.

#22 ·
Car break-ins are a daily thing down in the city limits of St Louis. It seems daily there is a report or ten about a tourist getting their things stolen while they were away from the car.

This garage owner put up a sign telling of how many cars were broken into at the garage next door...Good marketing ??

Car break-ins are so bad they're part of St. Louis culture, like baseball and barges | Law and order | stltoday.com

Thieves grab guns and electronics from St. Louis tourists | kplr11.com

https://www.thetrace.org/2016/12/gun-theft-missouri-permitless-carry-safe-storage

In St. Louis, a lot more guns are being stolen from cars | Law and order | stltoday.com

Attachments

#24 ·
Wow, after reading Marshalls post I'm convinced that that is the primary reason they are looking at unlocked cars for the Holy Grail; a firearm. I am not going to ever leave my gun in my car or truck overnight; ever.
Now remember this could happen in "any town usa" and many live in the burbs or boonies and probably don't have to worry about it happening to them as much.

Most of if any of the guns won't end up on Armslist or the pawn shop because that would cause a paper trail. We see kids in their early teens caught with a weapon on them on the evening news almost daily. Those guns are passed around like candy which makes it harder to trace back to whoever stole it to begin with. The court system smacks their hands and sends them on home since they are juveniles. They go back out and start all over again.

#31 ·
A stolen FA is pure gold on the streets; it's not traceable to the perp, it's ideal to use in a drive-by, it's passed hand-to-hand, in a pinch it's good to get dope or transportation, and if it gets picked up it's traced back to a stolen FA report.

What's not to like?

With any luck, the feds will again start nailing felons w/stolen FAs under AG Sessions; that SHOULD be about 7 years. Unfortunately, they need to be 18 yoa for the feds. Here in NC they're big boys at 16; anybody see a disconnect? Think the bangers aren't smart enough to recruit the 14 & 15 year olds? Juvie hall, and teach me how to be a thug. :mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.