• 2 Post By Shootinit
  • 2 Post By bhunted
  • 2 Post By loadedround
  • 1 Post By swca

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2018, 07:15 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Question For Those That Have Built AR 15's

My son has been talking about building an AR 15, he lives out of state and other then shooting his brother in laws LaRue he know very little about them. He wants to build it from the ground up starting with a stripped lower and upper. My question is other then buying and installing the parts is there any fitting or adjustments he will have to do or make? I know that the minute he runs into a problem my phone is going to be ringing and I know nothing about them. Growing up along with safety and shooting he's was taught how to completely detail strip any gun he shot but he's never built one from the ground up.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:41 PM   #2

My first AR build went quick. Its not hard. He may find out he needs the right tools. An Armorers Wrench, Torq wrench, etc. when all else fails, Youtube has plenty instructional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck43 and Cybercycle like this.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:28 PM   #3

Originally Posted by bhunted View Post
My first AR build went quick. Its not hard. He may find out he needs the right tools. An Armorers Wrench, Torq wrench, etc. when all else fails, Youtube has plenty instructional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This. My AR build was a bit of a disappointment due to itís simplicity. I thought it would take weeks of careful craftsmanship. Instead it all just kind of screws together. Takes about 2-3 hours...experienced builders can do it a lot quicker. YouTube will explain everything.
Chuck43 and Cybercycle like this.
NewStainless is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2018, 11:44 PM   #4

It's kinda simple, once you read some instructions or watch a video. Granted, I've never built an upper from parts. My mentor suggested not screwing around, and just buy the upper pre-assembled.

All I can think of off the top of my head is that a junky "mil-spec" trigger will not bring much joy. I'm rockin' Geisselle's, and am impressed by their products. Oh, I ended up tossing out the El Cheapo charging handles, as well. Usually, the charging handle is something I use only a couple times per shooting session, but a nice one just puts a bigger smile on my face.

Your kid's big decision is deciding what exactly he wants, and then build it to match that vision. Don't build a 20" barreled rifle, and then equip it with a reflex sight, or a SBR styled pistol, with a 6-24 scope. Maintain the Feng shui of the gun.
Chuck43 likes this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:02 AM   #5

I have built three complete lowers and one complete upper. The other two uppers
were aquired from armslist and gunbroker. I had never built one until I watched a utube video. I just found a video that was easy to follow and it even said what tools I would want to have on hand. Lot of videos to choose from. I agree with Rusty about the trigger a good trigger makes a world of difference. Two of mine have Timney triggers I really like.
Chuck43 likes this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:53 AM   #6

Can always build a 300 blackout ;-)
RustyIron and 427malibu like this.
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:12 AM   #7

Originally Posted by swca View Post
I have built three complete lowers and one complete upper. The other two uppers
were aquired from armslist and gunbroker. I had never built one until I watched a utube video. I just found a video that was easy to follow and it even said what tools I would want to have on hand. Lot of videos to choose from. I agree with Rusty about the trigger a good trigger makes a world of difference. Two of mine have Timney triggers I really like.
Buy a cheap trigger first. Most good triggers are drop ins. With a cheap trigger, you get to learn how to put together the trigger system. THEN, get a good trigger. Geiselle, Timney, etc... Are all drop ins for the most part.
Chances are, if you buy a lower parts kit, (cheapest way), you'll get the trigger parts and other needed small parts. CMMG lower parts kit is a good example...
Chuck43 and swca like this.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:50 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to loadedround
Just built another AR15 using basically Anderson Mfg parts since I like their quality. As everyone above said, it's a piece of cake assuming you can beg, borrow, or steal (or even buy) an armourer's wrench,a torque wrench and a quality set of pin punches. Go for it!
Chuck43 and swca like this.

Last edited by loadedround; 03-21-2018 at 01:44 PM.
loadedround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:01 AM   #9

I built my first AR using a stripped lower from Aero Precision 71.00 price will vary I built this some time ago. I used a lower parts kit from stag ind. (49.00) and acquired an A2 stock spring buffer and tube for 15.00 you can find used take off's from people building ones with the collapsible stocks. The upper was used I bought off Armslist for 350.00.
as you can see if you have a little patience and you do not have any quams about buying used. You can build one some what inexpensive. I see uppers on Armslist from 400.00 and up these days.
My total on the first build was: $495.00 my other two AR's were a little more expensive do to upgraded barrels and triggers and such. I can ad it is a left hand eject AR. I love LH firearms.

20180321_083400.jpg
Chuck43 likes this.

Where freedom dwells is my country!

CDP Pro II .45 acp
Raptor II (blue) .45 acp
Eclipse II 10 mm
Ultra Carry II .45 acp
Stainless Pro Carry II
Solo STS 9 mm
swca is offline   Reply With Quote