Kimber Talk Forums banner

Range Report -Smoke Filled Room and a Love Affair

940 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Masquer08er 
#1 ·
I recently found Browning 9mm, 115 gr. ammo on sale with a rebate. When I used it at the range, smoke was billowing from my lane. Thank goodness there is a GREAT ventilation system and nobody else was in there.

Has anyone else used Browning ammo and was your experience the same? What makes it smoke like that? By the way. the guns were very dirty when I cleaned them. That being said my M9 and VP9 ate them with no problems.

On a better note, I'd seen other people have had bad experiences with Winchester white box. I ran 100 rds of 45, 230 gr. through a Pro TLE and it came out relatively clean and shot great. I'm really loving that gun. I'll share my target. This is at 10 yds. One of my best days ever.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have never used the Browning ammo, but what I had seen written about it seemed positive. Interesting experience.

Winchester white box can be really inconsistent, I have used countless thousands of rounds of the stuff in .40 without slightest issue, but have seen plenty of complaints about it in other calibers. Even the WWB 40 cal hollow points shoot very well.

Reactions: Masquer08er
#3 ·
Fine looking paper right there! I've been wearing a 3M respirator at my indoor range. We have ventilation but if you're shooting the gasses are more or less blown in your face before they're sucked out of the range. There's a lot of research suggesting metal pollutants (like lead) are linked to brain problems like alzheimer's??? I figure why take a chance. Most all the guys that work there have started using the mask I showed them when they clean. It's rated P100, and has replaceable cartridges. Sweeping up the brass stirs up a lot of lead dust.

#6 ·
...in fairness to any of the ranges, there's not an OHSA type standard so opinions on what's adequate can differ.
...also, I may have misread your comment to mean "I" was "pretty stupid" at first glance. The jury's actually out on that one :) Please don't be offended by my previous post, no offense.

#5 ·
All ventilation systems are not created equally. Some are way more efficient. That being said even with the BEST ventilation the blowback of residue from firing winds all over you. Your face, hands and cloths all have lead and other residue on them after firing just one round. If you smell it in the air, it's there, it's A FACT. If you choose to believe lead isn't a neurotoxin that's cool. But hey, I wear gloves so I don't get Hoppe's or other solvents on my skin too, so...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.