Hey gang, I have decided to start a new thread since I have two open thread that are overlapping. I am going to post new pictures of my Martini MKII Light Weight rifle and progress pics of what was done. I thought this would be easier than update multiple posts. I apologize if I am cluttering up the subgroup but, I wanted to post pictures of this project from start to finish.
I am posting this because I think its important to show that it is possible to revive an old rifle in need of love. With a little research and elbow grease, I have been able to get this rifle on its way to looking better than the day it left the factory! This weekend, I will spray (cerakote the aluminum parts I have) and post those pictures as well!
First I am posting picture of the rifle in the condition I got it in... From there, I will show some snap shots of sanding and some of the finished parts so far. I am probably 3-4 weeks out on the full restoration but, those will all be posted as well!
Pictures of the refinished Stock... This was finished in Boiled Linseed Oil. Sanded down with no chemicals, until I hit raw wood. I then applied one heavy coat of Linseed Oil to the stock and sanded it in with 400 grit sand paper. One additional coat for a week straight (once per day). And now I am at Once a week for a month... More pictures of the stock as time goes on.... This finish is very easy to work with and gave me the natural wood look I wanted!! Ill update this post with pictures of the forend soon!
Started rubbing the metal down... Took Naval jelly and removed all the old rust and blueing! I then started sanding the barrel.. I had to start with 150 grit wet dry sand paper to get all the pits out of the metal... I cross sanded 150-230-320-400-600-800. Finishing dross ways in a shoe shine motion. I apologize I do not have a lot of detailed pictures of the metal prep... My hand kept locking up with the amount of sanding I put in and all I wanted to do was rest when i was done. So... I kept forgetting to get more pictures of the metal.
When I was done with the barrel, I started to work on the receiver... same process... starting with the 230! Careful not to hit the lettering and really concentrating on the pits. I then went to 320-400-600-800... with a combination of dry sanding, oild sanding, and water and dawn sanding... ONLY FLAT SANDING IN THE DIRECTION OF THE ORIGINAL FINISH (not up and down). If I saw an imperfection, I started over with 320... Lots more work and sanding!
The metal is prepped and was sent out for Blue yesterday... Pics when I get this back!
I then took the lever and started sanding with 100 grit paper. I then went 150, to try to get all the pits out of the metal... IT WAS BAD. sanded and sanded at 150 dry and 230 wet (soap and water) mostly. Once I saw improvement on the pits, I went to 320 and 400 until all the pits were gone. once I had it smooth and looking nice at 400 grit, I then took it to a local shop that I know (pretty well known for case color). Dropped it off and a few days later... I got it back! Very, Very excited to see how well this turned out!
PICTURES UPDATED of all Aluminum parts. I got a mount from Stu... it came in raw aluminum. Since I had the insert that went into the forend and the cap that goes on the stock that were also aluminum (Can not be blued). I decided to cerakote all those items! I decided to coat them in Midnight Blue to give it as close of a blast blue look as I could get. I figured that would go best with keeping the rifle as close to the original look at possible. And, if I didnt like it, I could just re spray it in graphite black. I am very happy with how this came out and when I put it next to the stock, it looked lights out!
Metal Work is now finished!!! Here is the unassembled Blued Barrel, Reciever, and Parts... Along case colored Lever. I have to say! It came out brilliant. I cant wait to get the wood 100% and slap this Light Pattern back together!!
As an FYI, this is all polished to 800 grit. I maybe a bit prouder of this one than the last given this one was in FAR worse condition than the other project. To get this to 800 and blue the way it did was a lot of very hard tedious work. This was full hand polished! My good friend Brandan Bunker helped me with the actual hot blue at a more than reasonable price (all he did was dip it). Thanks to him for that!
I wanted to share the the second BSA Martini Project I took on (mentioned it in my project I post)! Again, these are my favorite .22 rifles ever made... anyone who has shot one will attest to the quality and accuracy of them. With that said, this was a lot more work than the first one... however, IMO it is now better than the day it left the factory and looks better than the first project! I have not seen a better MKII than the two I currently own The coolest thing about this project is that I did nearly all the work on this rifle.
The cool thing about this rifle is that it is a bit more rare than the last as its a "light pattern" meaning its about 12lbs vs 16lbs and the barrel is around 22" vs 27"(ish). Thanks to Rik Mitchell on the help with the stock and Brandan Bunker who dipped it in his blueing tanks.
All other work including prep on the metal was done by me... If anyone is interested the barrel and receiver were polished to 800 grit and took a heck of a lot to get the pits out.