I was trying to get careful... - Kimber Forum

Kimber


Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Other Firearms

Like Tree31Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2015, 07:31 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
glokrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,523
I was trying to get careful...

I was trying to be careful not get...but I guess I stripped it. Putting on my new grips for my Rock.

It's not the bushing or whatever you call it. It's the frame. I've never tapped anything, but, you know, Zoomy. Any recommendations?
Chuck43 likes this.
__________________
glokrok.com

Last edited by glokrok; 06-07-2015 at 07:38 PM.
glokrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-07-2015, 07:39 PM   #2
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,773
At this point, I'd take it to a professional gunsmith.
Chuck43 and glokrok like this.
montanaResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:41 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Zoomybaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,665
I had same thing happen, I put a new bushing in and just a small amount of JB weld and it's just fine now.



Chuck43 likes this.
Zoomybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 06-07-2015, 07:48 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Marshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Cardinal Nation
Posts: 19,299
Hey GlokRok, I have been there and done the stripping of the frame...

Here's thread about it...

https://www.kimbertalk.com/forums/gun...-bushings.html

And this is what I used on the frame if it wasn't stripped out too bad.

Swenson Grip Bushing Tap 1911 .236-60 Thread

And this is what I used when they were really stripped out..

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-par...e-_-IR-_-60594

It helps to have a machinist friend and that's who did the work on mine..It was simple and haven't had an issue since..
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:51 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Marshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Cardinal Nation
Posts: 19,299
Originally Posted by Zoomybaby View Post
I had same thing happen, I put a new bushing in and just a small amount of JB weld and it's just fine now.
From the look of the strip out that's just a band aid approach..

He needs to tap it out and start with new bushings....IMO
Chuck43 likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:55 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Zoomybaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,665
Originally Posted by jms-stlou View Post
From the look of the strip out that's just a band aid approach..

He needs to tap it out and start with new bushings....IMO
His could be worse than mine. I think my bushing was worse than the frame.



Chuck43 likes this.
Zoomybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:59 PM   #7
Super Moderator
 
Chuck43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 34,821
Jeff's given you the right advice, you're going to need an over sized bushing and a tap, a grip bushing driver would be nice to have. By the time you order the parts and tools and pay for them you might be cheaper going to a local gunsmith and having them do it.
Marshall likes this.
__________________
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson
Chuck43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:03 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Marshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Cardinal Nation
Posts: 19,299
Originally Posted by Zoomybaby View Post
His could be worse than mine. I think my bushing was worse than the frame.
A bag of bushings {4 pk} are less than $10 and I wouldn't want to use JB Weld if I ever wanted to take the bushings out again..

Now crazy glue on a PCII is another story....That nearly ruined my Kimber..

https://www.kimbertalk.com/forums/kim...pro-carry.html
Chuck43 likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:08 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Marshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Cardinal Nation
Posts: 19,299
Originally Posted by Chuck43 View Post
Jeff's given you the right advice, you're going to need an over sized bushing and a tap, a grip bushing driver would be nice to have. By the time you order the parts and tools and pay for them you might be cheaper going to a local gunsmith and having them do it.
Amen to that Chuck...

I was over $100 by the time I got the right parts to repair my frames..

On the other hand, it's nice having the taps now..When I took the grips off of GiGi's UC it had a stripped out frame in one of the bushing slots..

I watched my friend enough to learn to do the job myself and a new bushing and tapped out frame later it is all good..
Chuck43 and glokrok like this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:16 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Zoomybaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,665
Originally Posted by jms-stlou View Post
A bag of bushings {4 pk} are less than $10 and I wouldn't want to use JB Weld if I ever wanted to take the bushings out again..

Now crazy glue on a PCII is another story....That nearly ruined my Kimber..

https://www.kimbertalk.com/forums/kim...pro-carry.html
I am sure your right, if it comes out again I will retread it, if it dosnt I won't worry about it. I don't know why I would ever need to remove the bushings. My replacement bushing tighten up on its on, I just put a small amount of JB as a precaution.



Chuck43 likes this.
Zoomybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Be careful out there... Elidar73 Kimber Talk 9 05-08-2014 06:04 AM