PPK vs PPKs ??? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Other Firearms

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2018, 03:04 PM   #1

PPK vs PPKs ???

I had the pleasure of talking with a retired FBI guy last night. He's been out of the game for 20+ years but was still really sharp. I'm fairly certain he had achieved a fair level of stature in the Bureau. In the course of conversation I had to ask what he considered to be the BEST carry pistol. Without hesitation he said the Walther PPK .380 and specified NOT the PPKs? Unfortunately I wasn't able to pick his brain any further. Curious if anyone knows why the he would specify the PPK? I had tried held a little Walther at my LGS when I bought my Micro but can't recall which of the two it was. I do remember that the trigger pull was a trek and a half with a full pack :-) that thing was heavy and took all day to break!
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-30-2018, 04:58 PM   #2

Can't say for sure, but maybe the shorter grip length that makes the piece easier to conceal with the PPK.

I've had one since 1968, blued, and an early SS pistol made in the USA. Overly heavy, so-so trigger, wimpy sights are some of the cons why I seldom ever carried either of mine, having lighter and more horsepower units available that are just as easy to conceal. But you sure can't argue with decades of popularity.

Classic, yes. But nowadays even a seasoned Agent would tell you there's better choices....now.
cousinmark likes this.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:40 AM   #3

I found this

Infamously, it was the gun used by Hitler in his suicide. The PPK/S pistol is basically the same as the PP, but with a PPK slide. It was developed at a later time than both the PP and PPK. ... By combining the frame of the PP with the barrel (and the slide) of the PPK, Walther has developed the PPK/S version.Dec 9, 2015
cousinmark likes this.
JC45 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2018, 07:25 AM   #4

It seems that common citizens tend to place FBI agents, cops and military servicemen on some sort of pedestal. The truth is, they're just like the rest of us. Most are average Joes, there are a handful of imbeciles at the bottom of the barrel, and a few who are experts in their respective fields. Maybe your new FBI friend just spends a little too much time watching old James Bond movies. But if he likes to carry a PPK and is competent with it, that's great.
speedydg13 and cousinmark like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:38 AM   #5

Well, it doesn't really matter. It's not officially a Walther. Depending on it's age (and a PPK would be an older model) the pistol was made in France by Manurhin.
cousinmark likes this.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:11 AM   #6

I read one post from an old Walther forum thread that suggested the PPKs was a variation produced in the US. At the time importing the PPK was a problem? It is (the PPKs) also a hair larger and has a different back strap/grip. The same Walther manual covers both but I'm guessing there may be some differences part wise inside. Kinda like with Colt Mustangs, some have plastic guide rods...
I know LE guys are just people too, some people though, when you meet them, you can tell they're the real thing. I got the feeling this guy would have been good to have around during a crisis 30 years ago. He's probably in his 80s now but I'll bet he could still take care of business :-)
Old 07-01-2018, 08:16 AM   #7

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
At the time importing the PPK was a problem?
Lots of smaller automatics had problems in "the old days."

There was a points system. How big, how long, did it have a thumb rest, etc. Only pistols with enough points were let into the country.

Unless they were made here. I think the first stainless Walthers were made here.
cousinmark likes this.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:32 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to loadedround
I've owned two PPK's over my lifetime, on blued and the other SS both in .380. Beautifully made pistols and very dependable. However very heavy for caliber, double action very stiff, around 10-12 pounds and the hammer spur used to eat the web of my hand when I practiced with them. Would not recommend these PPK's as a carry pistol you'd practice with when so many newer models are out there especially in 9mm in smaller frames than the Walther. My advice is to look at other pistols and leave the PPK to James Bond!
cousinmark likes this.
loadedround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:44 AM   #9

Yup, I'm not looking to buy a Walther it just got me curious. like I say the one I checked out a few years ago had an ugly trigger pull :-(
My Micro .380 has rubber grips, a short light trigger, she's a sweet little shooter :-)
Jflytle likes this.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:41 AM   #10

...oh, and buy a decent knife for fending, just saying...
Jflytle and cousinmark like this.