Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Other Firearms

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By 2sharp2
  • 1 Post By 2sharp2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2018, 03:29 PM   #1

Cabela's Gun Library: The Curse of Bass Pro

Kimber owners, I posted this at the Ruger Forum but it influences us all. I made my decision to buy my K6S where I did based on this policy, which has now gotten even worse. I can guarantee that I'll not buy a Kimber 1911 from Cabelas now. Anyway...

Some time ago, Cabelas' new corporate owner, Bass Pro, insisted on gun locks on all firearms. Fair enough: they had a shooting in a store.

Now, however, I'm done.

Cabelas recently put a ban on dry-firing and checking weapons' timing. That is something I have to insist upon with a revolver that is used and really think these days one should do with a new revolver.

Today I learned that the Gun Library will no longer offer a 10-day warranty, the only reason I purchased a GP100 from them, at about 100 bucks more than I'd spend at Gunbroker.

I don't buy guns online, because I'm so old-school that I want to handle the weapon and check its functioning before paying. So if you are as angry as I am about the stupidity by Bass Pro, join me in cutting up your Cabelas card (after phoning them, of course, and politely saying why).

The company will still get some clothing and footwear sales, and a bit of fishing sales from me, but I'm done with them for firearms. Maybe that is what Bass Pro wants.

When it comes time to buy my next gun--a Henry .357 case-hardened lever action that could have made Cabelas a $1000+ sale--I plan to order new and have it shipped to my LGS. Cabelas, stay off my lawn!
Old School Wheelgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-08-2018, 03:40 PM   #2

i was at cabellas last week...they shrank the gun section in half..reloading is one isle now..wtf
Shootinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:34 PM   #3

I'm Not Mad

Sorry but your story does not make me mad or pissed off in any way. I'm as old school as it gets, it didn't take me long (saving $$$) to get over the idea that I must/need to see and hold in my hand the gun I want to purchase. Only been to the gun counter/gun library of BP/Cabelas 4 or 5 times, found out quickly all I needed to know.

If you know me then you know I've bought a lot of guns during the last 5 years all were purchased online, well I did buy 1 (Sapphire Pro 9mm) at a LGS but that was mainly to make a point to the stupid sales guy.

I won't buy a firearm there because there new and used prices are way to HIGH!
Chuck43 and JC45 like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2018, 09:10 PM   #4

Originally Posted by 2sharp2 View Post
Sorry but your story does not make me mad or pissed off in any way. I'm as old school as it gets, it didn't take me long (saving $$$) to get over the idea that I must/need to see and hold in my hand the gun I want to purchase.
There are many types of gun owners. I buy one and no more per year, after a lot of research. It's generally something I will use and not collect. I view my guns as tools I'll keep a long time.

So price, within a hundred or two, is not my object. You are correct, though, if it is: Cabelas has always had inflated prices.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:50 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Old School Wheelgunner View Post
There are many types of gun owners. I buy one and no more per year, after a lot of research. It's generally something I will use and not collect. I view my guns as tools I'll keep a long time.

So price, within a hundred or two, is not my object. You are correct, though, if it is: Cabelas has always had inflated prices.
Exactly. Your statement could apply to me. EXCEPT, I have bought two guns in one day and more than 3 guns in the same week. With the exception of 1 pistol I still have every gun I've bought in the last 40 years. I sold my Sapphire Pro 9mm to a good friend and member of KT, El aka (Snowtao). Why? Because I knew it would make her happy.
Chuck43 likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:47 AM   #6

I'm starting to feel your pain.

I went to Cabela's yesterday to buy a P938 in 22LR. They checked the stockroom as one of the ladies scanned the computer.

Turns out that Cabela's (in my area, perhaps) does not sell that model P938.

I mean, it's a gun, and they are a gun store...
Old 10-09-2018, 05:43 AM   #7

Some time ago, Cabelas' new corporate owner, Bass Pro, insisted on gun locks on all firearms. Fair enough: they had a shooting in a store.

Now, however, I'm done.

Cabelas recently put a ban on dry-firing and checking weapons' timing. That is something I have to insist upon with a revolver that is used and really think these days one should do with a new revolver.

No one knows what you have in your pocket's but you. you could have a handful of 357 mag. rounds. that being said I agree with Cabelas. my last 5 handguns came from Gunbroker if you feel the need to handle a handgun go to your LGS where the person on the other side of the counter is armed.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:09 PM   #8

Originally Posted by bigdog10 View Post
No one knows what you have in your pocket's but you. you could have a handful of 357 mag. rounds. that being said I agree with Cabelas. my last 5 handguns came from Gunbroker if you feel the need to handle a handgun go to your LGS where the person on the other side of the counter is armed.
A person can walk into Cabelas right now with a cased long gun or CCW handgun and no one stops them, if there is no one at the check-in counter. So this new policy is hardly a deterrent. I had a store employee hover over me carefully as I checked out my GP100 from the gun library back in January, before all this began.

This new policy seems a legal fig-leaf and as some at Ruger Forum noted, Bass Pro seems to want out of the used-gun business. But there are, thankfully, other and cheaper options.

My low serial-number "used" K6S came to me for $686 at a gun show. If it had been shot a dozen times, I'd be surprised. Everything, from box, case, manual, even Kimber sticker and Kimber lube, were all included.

A similar model at Cabelas, new, runs $849, used about $750-800.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:12 PM   #9

Don't get me wrong I have seen some really sharp tool's at the counter lol. so blocking the trigger is a good thing and i'm talking about both sides of the counter