Your Most Prized Gun. - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Other Firearms

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2018, 06:47 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Your Most Prized Gun.

In another thread a new member was asking if he should shoot or not shoot a new gun he had been saving for, an Ultra Raptor. I believe everyone recommended he shoot it and some gave some great reasons for doing it. What really caught my interest were the stories behind their most prized guns that had been passed down to them by family members. I love reading those stories and I would like to hear the story behind your most prized gun.

I have my grandfathers 1873 Winchester .32-20, he bought the gun new in 1905 and used it on his farm in Wisconsin for hunting and varmint control. My dad, born in 1912 carried the gun under the seat of the wagon he used to drive himself (starting at age 10) and his 4 sisters to a single room school. Dad said that during some of their harsher winters the wolves would come down from the north (Minnesota and Canada) and given a chance would attack the horse pulling the wagon. On a really good day he'd get a shot at a deer and it would take him and his sisters to get it loaded in the wagon.

If this gun was kept in unfired condition it would be worth a ton of money. But with it's scared stock and the rear sight my grandfather made when the original was lost to us it's priceless.

I don't do it too often anymore but I love shooting it, my son and grandson's have all shot it and know the story behind the gun. It's been in the family for 113 years now and knowing my son when the time comes it will continue to be kept in the family in shooting condition. I don't envy my son because he will have to chose the 5th generation care taker from his 3 sons.
bigdog10, 46QJI, RustyIron and 7 others like this.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:31 PM   #2

Smith & Wesson K-22

Pretty sure I've posted this story before but whatever my Brother Chuck wants...Chuck gets.

S&W Model K-22, for those that don't know, 6-shot, 6" barrel, .22lr. I have no idea who, where or when he bought it, I suspect during my stint in junior high school which in the old days was grades 7,8,9 or for me either 1967, 1968, 1969. If we was Jeepin' (off-road) riding, hunting anything the K-22 was on him or handy in the Jeep. Fishing lake or farm pond, K22. Squirrel, rabbit, small game hunting the K22 was there. The K22 was already pretty worn and had a patina and history the first time I saw it. Keep in mind I was driving the Jeep and a old Ford tractor when I was only 12 or 13 (in the woods and or Grandpaws farm) I fired that K22 as much and as often as he would let me.
It didn't take long for this boy to decide I "needed" a new K22 of my very own and I asked for one every chance I got. For many years the fat guy in the Red Suit and everyone else ignored my requests. Then maybe sophomore year of high school, the kind of small package wrapped in Christmas paper was revealed. I knew it was a pistol box, ripping off the paper was a brand new blue Smith & Wesson revolver box but inside the new box was my Dad's "Old" K22 not the new K22 I was expecting. Dad got a lot of pleasure from that switcher rue. He said: I bought me a new K22 but you can have my old one. I admit I was disappointed then but later in life learned the true value of his gift. Priceless for me I now have both the old and the new K22's in my safe. I don't shoot Dad's new K22 very often, I always reach for mine, the hand me down, the old K22.
I'm the last of my family, well a few cousins but nobody I would want to pass them onto.
I will probably pass them to one or two of Vickie's son's and the one grandson.
Chuck43, 46QJI, RustyIron and 5 others like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:10 AM   #3

Ours (hubby and mine) is a beautiful, lightly fired, Colt Trooper MK 111 357 revolver. Hubby bought it in the early ‘70’s. We didn’t have much money, he kinda wanted the Python even then, but this Trooper was just as pretty and a couple hundred dollars cheaper, so his decision was made on that. Not much firing in the first few years, he did tho kill some armadillos, off the patio, that were tearing up our yard at night. For many, many years, it was then kept in the box and not fired but kept oiled. We both recently fired a few at the range and it is still flawless and accurate. Very prized BUT he would give lots if he had just been able to choose that Python back then!
Kimberleigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2018, 08:46 AM   #4

As I've stated before my favorite is my Dad's 41 Magnum Blackhawk. He carried this while on the Sheriff's Dept during the riots in Detroit. He was on the Farmington Hills Mounted Division also. (Yes I'm a Farm boy all my life always had horses) . Anyway, it's my most precious gun I have but gets plenty of use as I hand load for it. Its a little time with Dad every time I go out back with it.

Chuck43, Dude22, 2sharp2 and 4 others like this.
Albert.Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:22 AM   #5

I deeply regret only buying 1 Python and not buying at least 1 .44mag Anaconda.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:21 PM   #6

My father in laws prybar. he used to repair small engines and shoot woodchucks in his garden you only had to lead them four and a half feet. once he put the rifle sights on.. it still sits in the corner of the shop and we shoot it every now and then. sorry it's a Montgomery wards .22 rifle 1960's
Chuck43, JCBnPHX and JC45 like this.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:23 PM   #7

I have an old revolver, 32 rimfire 6 shot, made about 1920. My Grandfather gave it to me. It was the first gun his father taught him to shoot when he was young. I have it in my 'memories' case. It isn't so pretty anymore, but it is family.
Chuck43, 2sharp2 and JC45 like this.
Shoot4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:33 PM   #8

My 1950's Hubley Rifleman cap rifle that my Grandmother and Grandfather gave me for my 8th birthday!
Chuck43, JC45 and Shoot4Fun like this.
OLE442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:55 PM   #9

My refurbed Colt Govt Mk IV Series 70. Went through hellenback. My first semi carry once we graduated off wheel guns.
I will own again, some Pythons. Should have never sold them years ago. Those and a Nickel Lawman III...
Two biggest mistakes in my life of gun sales. Who would have known.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chuck43 and JC45 like this.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:44 PM   #10

Has to be my stainless Ruger 10/22. If I can see it, I can hit it. In fact, I'm amazed at just how far that rifle shoots, then again, I've shot it for +20 years.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, JCBnPHX and 1 others like this.