• 1 Post By loadedround
  • 1 Post By loadedround
  • 4 Post By Rick in Oregon
  • 3 Post By 2sharp2
  • 2 Post By Rick in Oregon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2018, 10:10 AM   #1

22 Hornet Thoughts

Surprise, I found something I like but it is chambered for the 22 Hornet. I'm looking for your hands on experience with this caliber.
Pros, Cons, thoughts? I think it is under powered for deer which I don't hunt anyway but I don't think we have any varmint around here it would be good for. Si I guess I would be punching paper?
Cheapest ammo I found so far is about 0.75 cents per round, $14.95 for 20.

I found it interesting 22 Hornet has been around a long time. World War II pilots issued survival rifles in 22 Hornet.
Rick in Oregon likes this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger

Last edited by 2sharp2; 11-14-2018 at 10:13 AM.
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-14-2018, 01:49 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to loadedround
I have a Ruger 1B chambered in 22 Hornet and I enjoy shooting it and if I do my part it will give me 3 shot 1'' groups at 100 yards. I do reload the Hornet round.
2sharp2 likes this.
loadedround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:03 PM   #3

Originally Posted by loadedround View Post
I have a Ruger 1B chambered in 22 Hornet and I enjoy shooting it and if I do my part it will give me 3 shot 1'' groups at 100 yards. I do reload the Hornet round.

Thanks loadedround, I found a "says it is new" Kimber 82 rifle that's chambered in 22 Hornet. I like the rifle just not sure I want to add another caliber to the mix.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

Old 11-14-2018, 07:50 PM   #4

[It's a fun round to shoot and to reload. Cases only last about 3 times being reloaded before they start to split. I inherited my Hornet otherwise, I'd probably never but one, but now it's a keeper.

QUOTE=2sharp2;886092]Thanks loadedround, I found a "says it is new" Kimber 82 rifle that's chambered in 22 Hornet. I like the rifle just not sure I want to add another caliber to the mix.[/QUOTE]
2sharp2 likes this.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:32 PM   #5

Originally Posted by loadedround View Post
[It's a fun round to shoot and to reload. Cases only last about 3 times being reloaded before they start to split. I inherited my Hornet otherwise, I'd probably never but one, but now it's a keeper.

QUOTE=2sharp2;886092]Thanks loadedround, I found a "says it is new" Kimber 82 rifle that's chambered in 22 Hornet. I like the rifle just not sure I want to add another caliber to the mix.
[/QUOTE]

I've been wanting/looking for a 82 in .22lr with a Walnut stock and Stainless barrel, finding several just not very many with a Stainless barrel. That's when I ran across this one in 22 Hornet it has a beautiful Walnut stock but it is blued not stainless.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

Old 11-14-2018, 10:14 PM   #6

I've been wanting/looking for a 82 in .22lr with a Walnut stock and Stainless barrel, finding several just not very many with a Stainless barrel. That's when I ran across this one in 22 Hornet it has a beautiful Walnut stock but it is blued not stainless.[/QUOTE]
Old 11-16-2018, 02:04 PM   #7

Did someone say "Hornet?"

Arland, I've been an active varmint hunter/shooter now for going on 55 years. In all that time I've owned varmint rifles in about every commercial and wildcat calibers you could think of. A Hornet of one flavor or another has always been in my battery, usually more than one.

At present I'm fielding two, a Ruger No. 3 single shot rebarreled by Pac-Nor to .17 Ackley Hornet. The other is a Browning Low Wall M1885 chambered in .22 K-Hornet. Both wear Leupold scopes.

The attributes are low recoil, low noise and blast, cheap to reload. The cons are short brass life due to poor case design/stretching and limited range.

I usually most always rechamber any Hornet that lands in my safe to 22 K-Hornet. It gives about 150 fps extra velocity and much longer case life due to the improved case design and shoulder angle. It usually (but not always) improves accuracy too, probably due to the better case design after fireforming.

The little Ruger wearing her new .17 AH barrel (pure 3,800 fps death on varmint rodents! And the same size as a Ruger 10-22 but with over 300 yard effective range):

A ten-shot 100 yard 17 AH target shot during load workup. Don't let anyone tell you a Hornet is not accurate.

I'd not consider any Hornet a target cartridge, but they are accurate enough for varmints out to about 150 yards. The improved or "K-Hornet" is good for about 225 yards for reliable hits. The little 17 Ackley Hornet has accounted for ground squirrels to 385 yards from my portable BR Pivot bench.

To really enjoy the benefits the standard or improved Hornet, you really have to handload for it. It's really what I consider to be a "fun little round".
Chuck43, 2sharp2, Jflytle and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Rick in Oregon; 11-16-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:16 PM   #8

Rick, great post my friend. I've been watching for a Model 82 Kimber in .22lr but I want it to have a Walnut stock and Stainless barrel, found a few but so far not been able to snag one. I thought I had found one but turns out it was exactly what I was looking for except it was the 22 Hornet, the auction has exceeded my bid by several hundred. Now it is at $1,295, more than I want to invest, mostly due to lack of targets. Most of the rodents around here have two legs.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

Old 11-17-2018, 11:47 AM   #9

Thanks bud. I'll add that if you really don't hunt/shoot varmints, the Hornet would just be a plinking or casual target rifle, and it would be an expensive proposition for that task. As you note, a nice 22LR is perfect for that.

I had a Kimber M82 K-Hornet with the SS barrel and nice Claro walnut stock. It did not feed well from the magazine so I traded it off like a dumbass many years ago. Wish now I had just experimented by tweaking the mags and followers to sort it out. It was a nice rifle now long gone.

The price you saw for that M82 walnut/ss bbl in 22LR is about what they're going for now. The last one I saw listed for under $800 was about ten years ago. It boils down to "how bad do I want one?"

I'll keep my eyes open for one locally here, and if one turns up, you'll be on the "advise now" list.
Chuck43 and 2sharp2 like this.
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote