Boresnakes: What's Up With Them? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Other Firearms

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2019, 01:21 PM   #1

Boresnakes: What's Up With Them?

These contraptions first came onto my radar back in the mid-80's. A couple guys I shot with used them and claimed they were the greatest thing since sliced bread. They were lazy and sloppy, so I wasn't so quick to jump on their bandwagon. I stuck with patches, cleaning solvent, and oil.

Thirty-plus years have passed, and this boresnake fad has not yet fizzled. Could I be missing out on something?

Yesterday I was ordering some stuff from CDNN, and they were pushing discounted boresnakes. $3.99 apiece seemed like a pretty good deal--less than the price of a mocha fogo--so I bought three.

When I get these things, how do I work 'em? Videos show folks pulling it through the barrel, and calling it a day. What about the rest of the gun? I mean, the bore is usually pretty clean compared to the rest of the gun. Since I have all the solvents out anyway, does the bore snake really save me any time? And after using the boresnake a couple times, doesn't it become filthy? Do you though it in the washing machine? Did I just waste twelve bucks?

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-23-2019, 01:48 PM   #2

Boresnakes: What's Up With Them?

They are good for barrels and ramps if the barrel is not fouled bad.
When it needs washing. In a laundry style bag or an old sock. Water and vinegar I think they say. Throw some of your fav cleaner around the brush area and inside the barrel. Let it sit a minute and yank it through.
Make sure you label them because they start looking the same. Usually the weight is punched but sometimes it’s hard to read with tired eyes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:51 PM   #3

The big thing with bore snakes is that you can clean the barrel from chamber to muzzle instead of putting a rod from muzzle to chamber. The theory being that you will damage the crown of the muzzle when putting the rod down the barrel.

I have bore snakes and have used them but frankly I think it's more about people being too lazy to learn how to properly use a cleaning rod … like many of us have been using for years without ever hurting anything. They do work but to me it's more just a cure for an illness that doesn't really exist.
Chuck43 and RustyIron like this.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2019, 02:43 PM   #4

They're a great tool to start the cleaning process or a quick swipe during a shooting session. Have heard they can be cleaned in the dishwasher, I like living to much to let mamma catch me doing that though, lol.
dls56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:50 PM   #5

I use them for a quick swipe or two on the range since you don't have to disassemble your gun. They are not for thorough cleaning in my experience.
AZ Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 04:07 PM   #6

In my experience, they are a superior method. If I run one through my barrel three times I can't get a spec of anything on a patch after. If I spend the same amount of time running patches through, they still require more patches to get clean. By my testing they require roughly 1/5 of the time investment to do the same job as patches. Also, there's zero chance of doing any damage to the barrel. Never damaged a barrel the old fashioned way? Bully for you.
Now, this all being said, I should probably clarify that I seldom if ever fire more than 100 rounds in a session, and I clean my gun every time I shoot it. If I was one of those shooters who went weeks or months without cleaning my gun and fired hundreds of rounds in that time, my results may have been different and yours may be too.
That's my 2’, take it with a grain of powder...
bhunted and RustyIron like this.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:09 PM   #7
Super Moderator

I keep 2 (9mm &.45) in my range bag, I don't use them very often but when I want to run a brush through a barrel at the range they do a good job. My guns get thoroughly cleaned after every range session with brushes and patches.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:25 PM   #8

I do believe that bore snakes work just fine. But in 50+ years of shooting and cleaning guns of all types I have never damaged a gun while cleaning it. I don't really worry about how much time I spend in caring for my guns, it's quality time, … I'm not in a big hurry.

I too will go through each gun I take to the range and give it a complete cleaning and inspection. But doing all that after just 100 rounds would mean more cleaning time than shooting time. My range days are just that … a day … not just an hour or two. Just an estimate, I would say my last trip of combined .45, 9mm, .38 and .22 would have been closer to 600 to 700 rounds. Just in .22s … loaded my 50 rd, MP5 drum at least three times and ran my 10/22 Ruger at least ten to fifteen 25 rd mags. I took 20 loaded 8rd 1911 mags in .45 … 10 loaded 1911 mags in 9mm and another dozen 17 rd mags for my Sig...plus I always shoot a few .38s out of my EDC.

Back in my IPSC days I was shooting 1000 rds a month all summer long. I not going to stop every 100 rds to clean a gun … it's just not necessary. I clean them when needed and keep them all well lubed all the time.
RustyIron, cousinmark and Mini Me like this.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:51 PM   #9

I've had good luck with mine.
RustyIron likes this.
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:00 AM   #10

Originally Posted by PaulWVa View Post
I don't really worry about how much time I spend in caring for my guns, it's quality time, … I'm not in a big hurry
I too will go through each gun I take to the range and give it a complete cleaning and inspection. But doing all that after just 100 rounds would mean more cleaning time than shooting time.
I not going to stop every 100 rds to clean a gun … it's just not necessary. I clean them when needed and keep them all well lubed all the time.
Huh. Is it quality time that's inherently worth doing because you enjoy doing it or isn't it?

Dichotomies aside, since this seemed pointed my direction, I'm going to clarify- even though I don't think I was ambiguous- that I don't stop shooting at 100 rounds to clean my gun. I stop shooting at 100 rounds because that's two boxes, two boxes is how much fits in the bag I keep with me every day in case I find time to go to the range while I'm out, and I have neither the time nor the money to shoot more than that when I am able to get there.

Cleaning doesn't take long. I don't prefer the boresnake because it's faster, I prefer it because this suggests it does a better job. I enjoy the process of cleaning the gun, but not so much that I'll use a method that's exponentially less efficient to complete the same job. Regardless: we both go shooting, then we clean our guns- we do the same thing. Is it necessary to clean a gun after only 100 rounds? Probably not, but I don't like dirty guns, and the easiest way to keep something clean is to not let it get too dirty in the first place. As far as I'm concerned, that makes it quality time, and I'm not really going to worry about it.
bhunted and RustyIron like this.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote