• 2 Post By RustyIron
  • 3 Post By bhunted
  • 2 Post By 427malibu
  • 2 Post By 46QJI
  • 1 Post By PaulWVa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2019, 02:21 PM   #1

Cheese Grater: Unstippling

I bagged a Sig P365, and like it so much that I'm going to start carrying it. I went and qualified with it this morning, which took all of about two minutes. BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM <magazine change> BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM. Instructor said it was the fastest testing he's ever done. To be honest, I knew the drill. You just have to get 'em on target, so you can shoot as fast as you want. Pretend you're John Wick, and as long as you're not shooting the ceiling, you'll be fine.

Later, I was carrying the gun around the house, and I'm not at all happy--sand in your shorts kind of unhappy. The gun is rubbing my side raw. It's like I have a cheese grater in my waistline.

The gun has some pretty aggressive stippling. Actually, it looks like the stippling is sprayed on after the gun leaves the mold. And it grinds on you.

It occurred to me to smooth down the grips. But how can I smooth it down while maintaining the lettering and the border lines, and not look like some monkey hacked up a nice gun?

As I was sitting here at my desk, I spotted a couple diamond burnishing files. Why not? Just to experiment, I took a few swipes on the flat area of the grip. The diamond file took of the high points of the cheese grater pretty easily. So I continued. It wasn't difficult at all. The flexible file could be brought right up to the border line without going over. I did the same, right up to the lettering.

Everything seemed to be going well, so I continued around to all four surfaces. I addressed the side that was against my body the most. I quit earlier rather than later, because you can always take off more, but it's hard to put material back once it's gone.

I got out the magnifiers, and saw that my work wasn't as even as I thought. So I continued. Once it looked good under the magnifier, I knew it would look good to the naked eye.

I cleaned it up with some MPro-7, then some gun wax. The cheese grater effect is now gone. The grip is smoother to the touch, and is no longer an irritant when carrying it against my body. To the unaware eye, the surfaces look no different than factory. If you set two P365's side by side and were told to look, I'm sure you could spot the difference.

I was willing to give up a little aesthetic in exchange for a gun that didn't make me cringe with every step I took, but I ended up with a more comfortable gun that looks as good as when it left the factory.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0995.jpeg (2.43 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_1003.jpeg (1.57 MB, 11 views)
Chuck43, Dude22, bhunted and 6 others like this.

Join the NRA
RustyIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-03-2019, 02:28 PM   #2

you have an after picture??
RustyIron likes this.
ThumperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:52 PM   #3

I hear ya Rusty …. I had a very similar project a while back. I bought Ruger 77/44, a .44 mag bolt action rifle with the black synthetic stock. And after a range session I felt like my hands had been sanded or cheese gratered. The pistol grip and fore end where nicely defined so I just took my Dremel tool (yes, the dreaded and feared Dremel tool). And carefully ground away all the plastic "cheese grater" molded in checkering.

Then I cut exact fit pieces from sheets of TALON rubber grip and made new grippy but not irritating grip and fore end. Now I have a one off custom stock that's a joy to shoot. Here's some "before and after" … er...actually I think it came out "after/before" ...but you'll get the idea. Nothing like doing it yourself. (yeah the green background is the after … grey the before)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0692.JPG (1.53 MB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0693.JPG (1.69 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0517.JPG (3.72 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0518.JPG (4.06 MB, 5 views)
46QJI and wayne like this.

Last edited by PaulWVa; 03-03-2019 at 03:55 PM.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2019, 04:35 PM   #4

Originally Posted by ThumperX View Post
you have an after picture??
Why thank you for thinking that those pictures look good enough to be factory. They're AFTER I finished. I should have taken some "before" pictures. Believe me when I tell you that the surface was MUCH sharper originally.
bigdog10, 46QJI and PaulWVa like this.

Join the NRA
Old 03-03-2019, 04:39 PM   #5

Originally Posted by PaulWVa View Post
Then I cut exact fit pieces from sheets of TALON rubber grip and made new grippy but not irritating grip and fore end. Now I have a one off custom stock that's a joy to shoot.
I think your "finished" look is much better than the original. It's nice to hear from another eccentric who takes a new gun and starts "fixing it" right away.
46QJI and PaulWVa like this.

Join the NRA
Old 03-03-2019, 05:15 PM   #6

Brand new vz grips have that problem but only straight from the factory. I mentioned before elsewhere that I use my wife’s emery board and drift lightly over the grip with 2 fingers to just knock down the grater affect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
46QJI, RustyIron and PaulWVa like this.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:36 PM   #7

Good luck with your new sig p365. Ive had mine since last year. I havent experienced what you have but then Im up in PA.. Just so you know ,you can purchase the grip modules fairly cheap in case you go a little to far or want to experiment. The fire control module comes out of the grips rather easy. I love mine and its my edc with the 12 rounder mags. Enjoy and be safe.
46QJI and RustyIron like this.
427malibu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:44 PM   #8

I went with grip tape on my 365. It is a little rough on the skin with IWB carry without the grip tape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 648B00D8-45C6-4841-BEFD-7D26BF06366E_1551660232173.jpeg (1.86 MB, 8 views)
RustyIron and PaulWVa like this.
46QJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:49 PM   #9

Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
I think your "finished" look is much better than the original. It's nice to hear from another eccentric who takes a new gun and starts "fixing it" right away.

Thanks, I really like the way the stock turned out. I feel like if it doesn't work right for you "fix it". I also added a Timney trigger kit, (took the trigger from 8# to 4). Added a recoil reducer and cheek piece from a Berretta shot gun to the stock and a Limbsaver recoil pad to increase the pull … all to a week old gun.
RustyIron likes this.
PaulWVa is offline   Reply With Quote