Got the New CZ Scorpion out the the Range Finally! WOW! - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Other Firearms

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2019, 06:31 PM   #1

Got the New CZ Scorpion out the the Range Finally! WOW!

Got my Scorpion a week and a half ago, quite a bit of mods done to it already and today was it's first range date. Performed as I had hoped... 300 rounds later - flawless!!

First part of the [indoor] range visit was getting my EO Tech sighted in. Initially I sighted it in at 25yrds and that put the bottom of my reticle [circle] at ~7rds. Then 10 was somewhere between that and the red dot. It was way too much thinking and believe more of my shooting will be 15yrds and in. So I re-zeroed at 15yrds and that put me about 1.5" low at 7yrds and about 1" low at 10yrds. That's easier for me. And even out to 25 I'm still less than 2" POA to POI. Shooting all the way out to 100yrds is manageable as well (according to ballistic calcs)... although that will be a rarity.

The bummer on the day was my EO Tech finally succumbed to the dreaded "Reticle Fade". Not bad given it's 15yrs old. But still a bummer. I sent in a request to them to see what they will charge me to fix it. We'll see what happens there. The good news was I Co-Witnessed my new Magpull MBUS Pros (flip-ups) so sighting the EO Tech after it comes back or if I buy a new one will be pretty quick this go around.

It was great that this indoor range allows rapid fire so having fun with the Scorpion was not a problem 8)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190222_214243.jpg (1.99 MB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20190222_214203.jpg (1.93 MB, 18 views)
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-03-2019, 08:24 PM   #2

Glad to hear things went well :-)
...I was wondering how the field strip process goes with a Scorpion, being a CZ I'd guess it's on the simple side? Also wondering what you ran ammo wise?
Pretty serious looking set up you've got there 1000RR, have fun :-)
1000RR likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:41 AM   #3

Originally Posted by 1000RR View Post
Got my Scorpion a week and a half ago, quite a bit of mods done to it already and today was it's first range date. Performed as I had hoped... 300 rounds later - flawless!!

It was great that this indoor range allows rapid fire so having fun with the Scorpion was not a problem 8)
That’s one serious setup you’ve got there. Glad it ran well
Where might this range be located in Florida? Ranges near me won’t allow fast anything.
1000RR likes this.
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2019, 03:49 AM   #4

Looks great congratulations.
1000RR likes this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:20 AM   #5

That really looks sweet, congrats. Now I have to stop my finger from hitting the buy now button.
1000RR likes this.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:10 AM   #6

Nice rifle. What caliber?

You know that Eoturd as we call them, have had recalls. Forget repairs. Many have gotten upgrades or all their money back because of the lawsuit. Get your money back and buy a nice Aimpoint.

BTW, what light mount is that? I have a lot of lights like TLR1s and such. Never seen a mount like that. TLR have mounts built in. What I'm looking for is one that will bring light out further from the gun to eliminate as much shadow as possible. I'd rather not just build up rail mounts. Is that a mount or just a protective cover?
1000RR likes this.

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:45 AM   #7

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
Glad to hear things went well :-)
...I was wondering how the field strip process goes with a Scorpion, being a CZ I'd guess it's on the simple side? Also wondering what you ran ammo wise?
Pretty serious looking set up you've got there 1000RR, have fun :-)
Field stripping is SUPER simple. Just one pin (like an AR) and the lower drops out. There's the bolt that then drops out easily leaving an empty receiver. That's all there is to it. Very simple - love it.

I was running 9mm 115gr Sellier & Bellot. It's just what they had there at the range. I'm waiting on some ball ammo to come in. I don't care for the 115gr in my little Kimber (Micro 9), enjoyed the 124gr more. My defensive ammo is 147gr so as soon as I find a sale on 147gr ball ammo, I'll be picking up a bunch of that. I like the ballistics of the 147gr out to 100yrds too (I'm zero'd at 15yds... not that I'll be plinking too much out to 100). I'm waiting on my tax stamp to come back on my Suppressor, further reason I'll be sticking with 147gr.

Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
That’s one serious setup you’ve got there. Glad it ran well
Where might this range be located in Florida? Ranges near me won’t allow fast anything.
I've experienced the same challenges. The one I went to was Frogbones in Melbourne, FL. Awesome place, HUGE dealer, restaurant attached, range right there - they're great. There's another just North of here that is APHF Shooting Center (near Titusville). Although I haven't been to that one (it's supposed to be REALLY nice too), I traded e-mails with them and they allow rapid fire as long as you don't shoot their mounts/hardware (or else you pay for em - fair enough).

Originally Posted by bhunted View Post
Nice rifle. What caliber?
Thank you... but it's really a pistol . Otherwise it'd be another tax stamp (SBR). Caliber is 9mm

Funny story - I told my wife (after I had just purchsed my Kimber Micro 9) that I was getting a bigger version 9mm of my little CC Micro 9. The Scorpion came in, and she quickly said - WTH, that's no pistol. I told her technically it was a pistol when I bought it and since the back end of the gun is technically an "arm brace" (not a shoulder stock), it still qualifies as a pistol (not an SBR). She laughed (sort of )

You know that Eoturd as we call them, have had recalls. Forget repairs. Many have gotten upgrades or all their money back because of the lawsuit. Get your money back and buy a nice Aimpoint.
I've been out of the HWS/RDS market for so long, I didn't realize the issues that had arisen till just lately. I have liked my EO Tech... until now. So I'm not stuck on one brand or another but rather what works best and who stands behind their product. We'll see where my e-mail for repair leads.

BTW, what light mount is that? I have a lot of lights like TLR1s and such. Never seen a mount like that. TLR have mounts built in. What I'm looking for is one that will bring light out further from the gun to eliminate as much shadow as possible. I'd rather not just build up rail mounts. Is that a mount or just a protective cover?
No special light mount. The CZ Scorpion comes with picatinny rails already on it on the top, bottom and both sides. So I just attached an old tac light I had from 15yrs ago when I was using it a bit more. That location just made sense on this gun and my setup.

Last edited by 1000RR; 03-04-2019 at 06:51 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:18 AM   #8

Meant to say Pistol...lol. I'm in the market for a Saint Edge when money comes around. Got more than enough AR rifle platforms. Question is do I get involved with another caliber. Its only avail in 5.56 or 300 blackout. Don't have blackout yet.

I agree with the location. Just seemed like a special mount for the light.
Good luck with it...

John, aka BHunted
NRA Life Patriot Benefactor Member - Sumner Gun - ANJRPC - GFH - Patriot Guard

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote". -Benjamin Franklin

---------------------------------------
Kimber Warrior SOC
SS Raptor Pro
Ultra Covert II
bhunted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:21 AM   #9

Thanks John. The 300 Blackout looks pretty cool!! I've had my share of ARs and this 9mm platform just seemed like a great next "fun gun" with great use as a home defender (or camping). So far so good.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:22 AM   #10

Congrats, i think i'm gonna need one of those.
2sharp2 and 1000RR like this.
Love Kimberly is offline   Reply With Quote