Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Other Firearms

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Marshall
  • 2 Post By Insta-Gator
  • 3 Post By The Tourist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2015, 10:24 AM   #1

Sad state of Affairs

Yesterday, while I was at a meeting in our Sheriff's Department I saw a sad sad sight. I stopped and talked to two deputies in the property room. They had a box full of handguns that were evidence in old cases no longer active. I looked at a S&W Mod. 37 and a Colt Commander about 1975 model. There were also several other makes and models.
The officers were getting ready to take all of these weapons to the county highway garage and cut them up with a Acetylene Torch.

A real waste as I was concerned. Years ago I had both a Satin Colt Commander and a S&W model 37. No Kimbers in the box.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-04-2015, 10:32 AM   #2

Is it policy to cut them up? Would be nice if they could be bought and cared for.....

"It is the unconquerable nature of man and not the nature of the weapon he uses that ensures victory"
General George S. Patton Jr.
ByrdMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:39 AM   #3

Yes it is policy. They said, if there was a court order to use them within the department they could, but at some point the would be destroyed.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2015, 10:44 AM   #4

Originally Posted by ByrdMan View Post
Is it policy to cut them up? Would be nice if they could be bought and cared for.....
I guess it would be what the law said in a certain state...Just a few stories...

Texas Law
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/us...lers.html?_r=0

North Carolina Law
North Carolina law makes it illegal for police to destroy guns - NBC News

Arizona buy back program..
Arizona to end gun buy-back programs that destroy weapons
ByrdMan likes this.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:22 AM   #5

Seems like a waste, but before you consider owning one of these, you may want to consider the possibilities.

A weapon is confiscated as part of a criminal investigation. Serial numbers recorded, possibly ballistics evidence gathered and recorded. Then you acquire the gun. Sometime in the future some over zellous prosecutor starts following a new set of dots that somehow ties you to the gun and the gun to some crime(s). Sure, you purchased the gun after all this, but the politically ambitious prosecutor is trying to make a name for him/her self. You are now the pawn in a serious chess game. Guilty or not, it will cost you .... a lot. YMMV
OLE442 and Maineiac64 like this.

It's not that I have something to hide, ... I have nothing I want you to see.

(remember your 4th Amendment right, people)
Insta-Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:39 AM   #6

If I read this right, Missouri will destroy them also....

Section: 578.0435 Weapon defined--weapons owned or in possession of gang members may be confiscated--weapon deemed a nuisance and destroyed by court order, when. RSMO 578.435
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 02:16 PM   #7

At a visceral level I get it. Consider if a loved one was shot by one of these handguns. How would you feel if you found out that the gun that killed your wife was now polished, repaired and cared for by a deputy who fished it out of the destruction bin?

If a guy shot my wife, not only would I expect him to swing and his gun torched, but his car shredded, his house burned to the ground and any assets he had be seized by the state.
Nellybelle, Richard and OLE442 like this.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:18 PM   #8

Around here, a couple of the counties sell them in lots, and a couple destroy them. I've picked up some nice guns that way.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote