Kimber Talk Forums banner

Opinions needed...

2K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Bigdog 
#1 ·
I know it's not a Kimber, but have a good deal perking on a new Colt lightweight Defender...3", .45, stainless slide alloy frame.

Anybody can give me a "go for it" or "stay away", or better yet an opinion based on experience?

#2 ·
How old? Shape?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I know it's not a Kimber, but have a good deal perking on a new Colt lightweight Defender...3", .45, stainless slide alloy frame.

Anybody can give me a "go for it" or "stay away", or better yet an opinion based on experience?
I say go for it. I bought a new Colt Defender .45 in 2009, it has been a great pistol. It is one of my favorites.

#5 · (Edited)
The only one I ever had that was close to that model was a stainless Officers ACP Colt. Never a stoppage. Carried it on the job at the old Teleconnect of Madison as their Director of Finance.

The boss was paranoid somebody would kill him for all of the hinky deals he did, but Madison did not have a CCW permit then.

So, my boss also made me the "Director of Security," and I got to carry a gun when no one else could.

I also was fond of the Detonics, because I could use garden variety Colt magazines.

#6 ·
Go for it! Should be fine. I've looked at those before.

Reactions: Bigdog and PaulWVa
#7 ·
Those little 1911's can be an absolute bear to get to run right. Horror stories abound. But two companies seem to have it figured out. Kimber and Colt. I'd say go for it, hard to pass up a deal on any 1911, and being a Colt purchased at a good price it'd be near impossible to lose money on it if you opted out later.

My two cents.

#8 ·
I have fired a couple, and the issue I found is that I did not like how the sights were regulated -- for me, they shot low even with the front sight covering the target.

On the other hand, one of my buddies carries one and loves it. I know it has been very reliable for him.

#13 ·
OK -- I'm down to the Colt Defender or the Kimber Ultra CDP II . The Kimber has night sights, the Colt doesn't. The Colt comes with 2 mags, the Kimber 1. They're about the same price. Both are NIB.

I know this is a Kimber forum, but which gets your vote?

#15 ·
I have a couple of Kimber Ultra CDP's in both 9mm and .45 and I love them both. I'm not a stranger to the Colt Defender I've shot it and like it and if you've got a smoking deal going for one I say go for it. If you like the gun and it fits you why not, I like Kimbers but that doesn't mean I won't buy or shoot another 1911.

#16 ·
I almost have to vote CDP Ultra since it's my EDC piece but I don't dislike the Colt. If the Colt had night sights it would be a tough call, IMO.

#17 ·
Thanks, as usual guys. I’m going to see if I can land the Kimber. They’re in the same price neighborhood , so I’m gonna take a hard run at the Ultra CDP. There’s one in 9 and one in 45....decisions, decisions !

Will report back, hopefully with pictures!

#19 ·
If you already have a pistol in .45 ACP, it might be fun to have a differing make and model in 9x19mm.

Here's a thought, I like to have a few 1911 frame pistols in various calibers. While it's never happened to a serious degree, there might be times when the sporting goods store you haunt is out of your favorite brand or there is a "steal-of-a-deal" price on 9x19mm ammunition.

I due have a fair amount of .45 ACP ammunition for my Kimber, but I keep several boxes of .380 ACP for my smaller frame 1911 style daily-carry.

#22 ·
+1 on that Wright Leather Works Predator holster, I have 2 of them. They recently started making gun belts which I am now wearing one of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.