Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Other Firearms

Like Tree9Likes
  • 8 Post By Deputy347k9
  • 1 Post By Richard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2015, 03:35 PM   #1

Concealed Carry State of Maine!

I am proud of my birth State of Maine will finally allow gun owners to carry concealed weapons without a permit, a practice called "constitutional carry" by Second Amendment advocates, under a bill signed into law on Wednesday by Republican Governor Paul LePage.

The measure will make Maine the fifth state to pass a law legalizing the carrying of a handgun, either openly or concealed, without the requirement of a government permit.

Maine joins Alaska, Arizona, Wyoming and Kansas in voting to allow the practice, according to National Rifle Association spokesman Lars Dalseide. Vermont has never required a permit. Arkansas and Montana also allow more limited forms of constitutional carry.

More than a dozen other states have considered similar legislation.

The Maine law will take effect 90 days after the state’s legislature adjourns, which is expected in mid-July.

The Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which protects the right of individuals to own and bear firearms, has limited efforts to pass gun control legislation around the country and has served as the basis for expanding gun rights in many states.

Maine law currently allows gun owners to openly carry a handgun without a permit, but concealed carry requires a background check, a licensing fee, a judgment of “good moral character” and evidence the applicant can handle a gun safely.

Sportsmen’s groups and gun advocates argued the process was too onerous, deterring law-abiding citizens from applying.

Opponents, including Maine Chiefs of Police Association, said rigorous background checks kept weapons out of the hands of felons. As a retired LEO from Maine, I disagree with the Maine Chiefs of Police Association, any felon or nut case that wants a weapon needs only to pick up a copy of "Uncle Henry's". Uncle Henry's is a weekly magazine that you can list items for sale, including a gun section. Take the cash go to someone's home and purchase a firearm. I once had a young lady commit suicide using a newly purchased Smith & Wesson 357. On a Saturday morning she purchased the hand gun from a seller that had it listed in Uncle Henry's. Several hours later I received report of a suspicious vehicle parked in a wooded area, was the young lady. The Uncle Henry's magazine still in the front passenger seat.

The new law, which passed with broad bipartisan support, would eliminate the permit requirement for any resident over 21 years old who is not already prohibited from owning a firearm.

Active members of the military, and veterans over 18 years of age, would be granted the same privilege

Way to go Maine!
Deputy347k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-10-2015, 05:50 PM   #2

I'll make a prediction.

In one of the "Constitutional Carry" states, some fruitcake will kill a bunch of people with a handgun, and the TV news media will find out that he didn't have to take any training or a test -- that he didn't have a "permit." They will raise holy hell, and CNN will provide saturation coverage 24/7 for at least a week. Politicians will become panicked, and will hurry to pass new, restrictive gun laws.

I hope I'm wrong, but I am afraid I might be right. We'll see.

Just this morning, CNN was reporting that the "gun store" failed to conduct a proper background check on Dylann Roof, the Charleston church shooter, because it failed to call the proper law enforcement agency to verify Roof's felony arrest for drug possession. They were saying this at the exact same time that they were saying that the FBI had accepted responsibility for screwing up the background check. They (and MSNBC) kept saying that the sale and purchase of the gun was "illegal," even though they could provide no support for such a contention. They were very clearly trying to paint the gun store with a brush of impropriety. What a bunch of crap!

Old 07-10-2015, 07:47 PM   #3

Anyone with a clue would see through that b.s...

When you fill out form 4473 it is approved, delayed or denied by NICS...Period

It's the uneducated or non shooter that will believe that story..
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2015, 08:58 PM   #4

Originally Posted by jms-stlou View Post
Anyone with a clue would see through that b.s...

When you fill out form 4473 it is approved, delayed or denied by NICS...Period

It's the uneducated or non shooter that will believe that story..
Yes, but how many Americans know how the system works? Clearly, the TV news networks don't know, nor do most politicians. Senator Charles Schumer of New York was calling for new, mandatory, background check legislation, even though Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa pointed out to him that the law was already on the books, but the FBI screwed up the background check.

There's an awful lot of uneducated people in our country who depend on the TV news media to keep them informed . . .

Marshall likes this.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:43 AM   #5

I always tell my liberal friends that "looting" is a crime but they seem to overlook and forgive that. After all, there are far more rioters than lone gun nuts. I believe the precedent is the "mote in my eye" argument.

We should have never strayed from Constitutional carry, it should have always been the law of the land. Wyatt Earp was wrong.