Range Day With ChattanoogaPhil - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Other Firearms

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2019, 08:33 PM   #1

Range Day With ChattanoogaPhil

Awesome day, Phil invited me to check out his outdoor range. Very nice place to shoot, I may apply for membership. No pics, sorry.

We started with .22lr rifles, I'll get to that later.
I took five new or new to me rifles, I'll tell you about three of them in this post. First yesterday I took all five and ran some patches thru each barrel several times with some BreakFree CLP on the patches. All rifles were lubed with CLP when I did the barrels. All the rifles functioned flawlessly, no jams or misfires or any issues.

First up M1A Loaded, peep rear and post front sight on paper with first shots. Love the look, feel, history of the rifle. It is a BEAST, recoil wise. I had about 100 or so rounds loaded in magazines. I have to admit to stopping after about 35 rounds, my shoulder was starting to hurt. If you don't wear your big boy drawers you better not try the M1A, IMO. It was accurate, more than me and it has the power to reach out and touch someone.

Then the AR-10 DPMS Recon GII with new Green dot Halosun. Much easier on this old guys shoulder, had to dial it up, but started on paper at least. Did another 30 rounds. Oh factory trigger is not good so need to change that, worked great otherwise.

Started with the new Savage BTVSS .22lr this one had the Nikon scope that came with my Kimber 84M 308. Scope and rifle did fine, need a few items to fine tune it. Should be loads of fun when Tax Stamp arrives.

Always have a great time shooting and visiting with Phil and Coondog.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-03-2019, 08:59 PM   #2

You've got some real nice long guns, Arlan. I particularly liked shooting the M1A. Thanks! Now that you've got em dialed in we'll go to the 300yd range next time.

Arlan came by the house so Coondog got an opportunity to meet and greet. Coondog immediately took a liking to Arlan. She's a great judge of character!

See you soon my friend.
Chuck43, 2sharp2, OLE442 and 2 others like this.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:26 PM   #3

The M1A was a eye opener for me, wasn't expecting that much felt recoil. Shoulder is a little sore now, I may have to eat breakfast left handed Saturday.

Coondog is adorable.

Funny thing all those rifles were right out of the box so to speak. I placed a little Breakfree in key spots and they are functioned without any issues.

I had a little trouble getting the front post in the proper location in the rear peep sight. Some of that was first time shooting rifle and a lot old eyeslooking thru peep.

I will be needing some more equipment to promote better accuracy on my part, you got the setup going on!
Chuck43 and ChattanoogaPhil like this.

CDP & RCP Ultra's
Classic Carry Pro (Factory Bone Grips)
Custom Two-Tone 45/.460Rowland
Gold Combat Limited Edition
Master Carry Pro
Sapphire Ultra 9mm
SIS Custom, Pro, Ultra
Stainless Ultra Carry 9mm
Stainless Raptor Custom, Pro, Ultra
Super Carry Ultra Plus
TLE Pro (TFS)

84M Longmaster Classic SS .308
SVT 22lr Stainless Fluted Bull Barrel
Kimber Of America 82 Stainless Fluted .22lr
84M Varmint Stainless 204 Ruger
2sharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2019, 03:45 AM   #4

Sounds you both had a great day. Nice selection of rifles Arland.
Chuck43 and 2sharp2 like this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:36 AM   #5
Super Moderator

It sounds like you guys had a great time, the only thing missing are the pictures. The next time the Tennessee Chapter of Kimber Talk has an outing take some pictures.
2sharp2, bhunted, OLE442 and 4 others like this.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:58 AM   #6

We must see pic.s or it didn't happen. especially of the M1A lol. sounds like you two had a blast....
Chuck43, 2sharp2, OLE442 and 2 others like this.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:30 AM   #7

Sounds like a fun afternoon :-) Glad you guys were able to get together. Being you're both some of the more esteemed and well armed KT members it seems like that'd be in the cards.
...and ya, the M1A will wake you up :-) It's amazing more combat vets didn't come home completely deaf.
...like bigdog10 mentioned, pics??? C'mon Phil, you're kinda known for your photography :-)
Chuck43, bigdog10, 2sharp2 and 3 others like this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:30 AM   #8

I actually like the M1 and don't find the recoil to be an issue (but I do hold it tight to my shoulder of course). Friend bought a 6.5 pound Weatherby .300 (fluted barrel, etc). It was a real pain. I zeroed it for him using a bag of bird shot between stock and shoulder and it STILL hurt like hell. He could not hit the paper at 100 yards because he was so intimidated by the recoil. Suggested he trade it for a .270 or else plan on killing zero of anything.
BobHyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:13 PM   #9

Phil and Arland, glad you two had a great day together. Nuthin' like a good day at the range with a good bud.

And, yup, the M1 will wake you up!

When in contested waters off the coast of RVN during the war, we used M1's on the forecastle for shooting North Vietnamese (Russian) mines with AP ammunition. The discharge of the rifle up close made about the same decibel noise as the bleedin' mine going off!

Part of my VA disability rating is from hearing loss during the war. During landing/combat ops, I had a M2 .50 BMG raining hot brass on me below on the boat radio. Talk about noise!

Some shipboard .50 cal BMG practice before landing ops (loooooud!) No hearing protection of course.....

cousinmark: You are spot-on there, buddy!
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 03:49 PM   #10

I saw commercial on TV the other day from some lawyer trying to get veterans who were issued a certain kind of hearing protection earplug to call them if they have any hearing loss as a result of using those faulty earplugs. Hell, I don't even remember ever having earplugs at all issued to us. Do we qualify? Even faulty ear plugs will be better than nothing.
Cigarette filters maybe.

Last edited by Cucamonga kid; 05-04-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Cucamonga kid is offline   Reply With Quote