Kimber Talk Forums banner

Bonehead: for real this time!

3K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  Tejun 
#1 ·
Grille Rectangle Font Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

Guess what was in the mail today? Yup, the Mammoth ivory grips from Boone Trading. The first thing I noticed was how heavy they are at least 50% more than the simulated grips I have. And then on closer inspection you can actually see some grain in the grips and they are sweet. A perfect match with each other. They recommend that you put them on the gun right away and keep them on rather than store them.
Now if I can just find the charcoal for my grill. We're barbecuing tonight baby.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
I no sooner posted on the thread when my well guy showed up. But that's for another thread. So anyway he had to go back to the shop to get parts and I just sat down again and haven't had a chance to put them on but pictures are coming. As far as the age goes they could be anywhere between 4500 and 10,000 years old. They are finding mammoth ivory somewhere in Siberia that is estimated to be only 4500 years old. And I don't know exactly where these came from.

#7 ·
Yep, those are NICE! I knew you would love them.

#12 ·
What I got in the mail today was a padded envelope with no return address containing a thumb drive taped to a piece of paper someone had written "play this" on with a sharpie. I didn't. I have no idea what it is or who it's from. I like what you got in the mail better.

#15 ·
Best looking Defender I've ever seen, like the blade to.

#26 ·
Nice pics. :cool:

Very much like the subtle mammoth bone grain that blends the overall color tone to the eye. Beautiful. I like that better than the more pronounced grain and bark styles

The Kid is well known for no BS assessments. So... what are your thoughts now that you've had the mammoth for a while. Any surprise likes/dislikes? Shooting?

#28 ·
The Kid is well known for no BS assessments. So... what are your thoughts now that you've had the mammoth for a while. Any surprise likes/dislikes? Shooting?
Well the main reason I got the bone grips was strictly vanity. First ones that I got were simulated ivory and they satisfied that need however they drew some shaming and bullying which immediately triggered an escalation in all my insecurities. So due to irresistible peer pressure and shame for having poser grips I succumbed to the embarrassment and ordered the 10,000-year-old mammoth grips to stop the shaming and gain some respect and bragging rights.
Anyhow they really look great on that black Defender but I can't seem to take a picture that does them justice. My wife's got a really nice camera but she's been too busy to take a picture for the last few days as she's been digging us a new well in the backyard.
As far as shooting goes I haven't fired a single round with those grips on it. They're really very slick and polished and I don't imagine they would in anyway enhance the shootability; however I will go out and put a few rounds through it as soon as the rain stops in mid-June. The Defender is my preferred EDC and my only 45 so I will soon reinstall the CT laser grips and wear the ivory only at barbecues, weddings and Sunday GoToMeetings.

#32 · (Edited)
Our brand new indoor range opened last week and I took the Defender and a box of Winchester white box. The Colt ran like a Ferrari through 100 rounds of ball FMJ topped off by one magazine full of Critical Defense. I shot it with the ivory grips which are only slightly better than a greased door knob causing me to have to slightly readjust my grip after every shot. The stock G10 grips and my Crimson Trace MS grips are like Velcro by comparison.
I'm saving up for another Colt Defender in 9 mm where the mammoth grips will reside permanently. I'm pretty sure the 9 mm will serve me well at barbecues as the only thing I can think of having to use it on would be an under cooked, still quivering steak.

#33 ·
Cucamonga,

If you are looking for a BBQ/Show Piecs....maybe consider a Fusion Firearms kit (see link below) in the Colt Defender configuration. You could then get custom engraving on the slide (Fusion can do this). Have it cerakoted or blued to your specs.

https://www.fusionfirearms.com/freedom-series-bantam-kit

I was really pleased with the fitment of everything on the Govt model I bought for my Bayou Bengal project.

Reactions: Cucamonga kid
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.