Glock 46 - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Other Firearms

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2019, 01:49 PM   #1

Glock 46

I read an article this morning about a new design Glock has developed. I think there are versions already being produced by other manufacturers but it is new as far as Glocks go...
I didn't really grasp exactly how it works but I guess fundamentally the barrel will rotate rather than tilt during the process of cycling. The article suggested this will result in less felt recoil?
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-08-2019, 02:31 PM   #2

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
The article suggested this will result in less felt recoil?
Humm, the first thing to come to mind is somehow the laws of physics are not strictly enforced any more?

I believe both Steyr and Savage both used rotating barrel designs long ago in late 19th Century, and early 20th. Probably others, but yeah, new for Glock. (Kimber: Pay NO attention! )
Rick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:00 PM   #3

I believe the Beretta PX4 utilizes a similar action but the Beretta has a hammer. I suppose the new Glock is a "spin" off of some sort??? The article did say release of the model to the general public was not a certainty.

Old 06-09-2019, 05:31 AM   #4

Some of the PX4 Storm pistols have a rotating barrel, yes. Reviews are generally positive. I'm not sure why Glock is re-engineering things after claiming for so long that they're perfect though...
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:28 AM   #5

Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Some of the PX4 Storm pistols have a rotating barrel, yes. Reviews are generally positive. I'm not sure why Glock is re-engineering things after claiming for so long that they're perfect though...
I have a Px4 Storm subcompact and this is the version that doesn’t have a rotating barrel.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:25 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to krunchnik
Don't believe everything in the rags-why would Glock change a proven simple design to make a more complicated pistol-seems like that would defeat the purpose of a military simple design(anyone can repair)
But anything is possible RE-(we are gonna screw something up-here hold my beer)
cousinmark likes this.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:45 PM   #7

Originally Posted by JC45 View Post
I have a Px4 Storm subcompact and this is the version that doesn’t have a rotating barrel.
IIRC, two out of three of the Storm models had it.
i.e. all but the model I wanted.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:34 PM   #8

Originally Posted by krunchnik View Post
Don't believe everything in the rags-why would Glock change a proven simple design to make a more complicated pistol-seems like that would defeat the purpose of a military simple design(anyone can repair)
But anything is possible RE-(we are gonna screw something up-here hold my beer)
Just to clarify, Glock isn't going to be redesigning their line. It is one Gen5 model (the 46), I believe it is only available to a German LE department. We may see a commercially available option down the road. I'm presuming the "rotary action" will be the next "new and improved" must have item? If I'm correct the Beretta's with the new action ARE in use by a number of LE agencies around the world already and I think they have the NATO certification as well. There must be some advantage to using them???
Old 06-10-2019, 04:50 AM   #9

Originally Posted by cousinmark View Post
There must be some advantage to using them???
Reviews of the PX4 are generally positive, and consensus seems to be that the rotators shoot softer. That said, there's more to those guns than how the barrel moves, and the Storm feels like it grew out of your hand whereas a Glock feels more like grasping a brick. But that having been said, so does a 1911; so, maybe I'm pissing up the wrong rope here...
cousinmark likes this.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:20 AM   #10

It was news back in 2017. Anyway... here's the design.

https://www.recoilweb.com/brand-new-...46-129623.html
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote