Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By cousinmark
  • 2 Post By Rick in Oregon
  • 1 Post By wfm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2019, 08:20 PM   #1
wfm

Remington .22 Speedmaster

My father-in-law gave me a 62 year old Remington 552 Speedmaster. The good part was he guessed it had about 150 rounds fired. Bad news was it had never been taken apart and cleaned. I am not familiar with this gun, but youtube makes it look easy. The gun is filthy but not rusty. While taking it apart, the barrel will not come out, I even tried to drive it out with a rubber mallet and a wooden dowel. It like it is welded in. It will be a great rifle if I get the barrel loose. Does anyone have any experience with this gun or any suggestions I might try to break the barrel loose. I would appreciate it.
wfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-27-2019, 02:58 PM   #2

I'm not familiar with that rifle (I'm thinking pump in my head?) but if the barrel is SUPPOSED to detach I'd suggest using gun oil and gravity. Let her sit wet a few days and try again. I wouldn't do anything to mar or otherwise mess with the patina. If you haven't research the value of it do so. Keep in mind the rifle may be worth more ultimately if you DO NOTHING TO IT. You can find a fine knock around .22 at Walmart or on Gunbroker for next to nothing.
JMO
wfm likes this.
cousinmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:42 PM   #3

I had one of those rifles as a boy. Semi-auto, tube feed with shell deflector at the receiver.

Your rifle may have a pinned barrel, so prior to any more effort, check to see if it's pinned with a small cross-pin to hold it in place. Many of these rifles had this barrel locking arrangement.
Tejun and wfm like this.
Rick in Oregon is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2019, 04:46 PM   #4
wfm

I appreciate the replies, the barrel is not pinned, it just had never been broke down and cleaned in 62 years. It should have pulled straight out. In any event, I let it soak over night in liquid wrench and was able to pull in out with a little effort. I spent about 4 hours today cleaning everything, then took it out in the backyard and fired it. Worked perfectly. Thanks again for the help.
Tejun likes this.
wfm is offline   Reply With Quote