Returning gun to manufacturer for repair...shipment question? - Kimber Forum

Kimber

Go Back   Kimber Forum > Off Topic Area > Other Firearms

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2019, 08:27 AM   #1

Returning gun to manufacturer for repair...shipment question?

Returning gun to manufacturer for repair...shipment question?

I'm sending a pistol back to the manufacturer for warranty repair. What is the best carrier to send it to them. UPS, USPS, Fed Ex or another? Any tips.

I pay to send it back and they repair at no charge and return it to me on their dime!

Thanks for any info,
OLE442
OLE442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-31-2019, 08:44 AM   #2

Manufacturer didn't provide shipping instructions? Dana at Kimber sent me everything I needed, to include shipping labels and all. Also sent a 686 back to Smith and Wesson...same process. Recommend contact repair office Kind Sir!
apollosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:46 AM   #3

What does the manufacturer recommend? Kimber sent an RMA using UPS pickup from my location, or take to distribution (not UPS Store).

Are you an FFL? If not check if you can ship an f/a via USPS.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:46 AM   #4

There's probably plenty of experts on here on shipping. I just shipped a firearm to a friend and here's what I learned.

If you don't have an FFL you won't be able to ship it via USPS or UPS. You're main option is FedEx which is going to be pretty expensive. It will likely be cheaper to take it to your FFL and have them send it. This all assumes you are coordinating and paying for the shipment. If an FFL (ie. manufacturer) coordinates that will change the game quite a bit.
1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:09 AM   #5

Shipping to the manufacturer is usually on their dime, and arranged by them, as others have said. if you're not a FFL, this is part of the Bud's Gun Shop "empire" and seems pretty decent and cheaper, although I've not used them: https://www.shipmygun.com/go/
Old 07-31-2019, 09:23 AM   #6

Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
Shipping to the manufacturer is usually on their dime, and arranged by them, as others have said. if you're not a FFL, this is part of the Bud's Gun Shop "empire" and seems pretty decent and cheaper, although I've not used them: https://www.shipmygun.com/go/
I also checked into their website to ship... It was definitely cheaper than shipping it on your own (by a LOT!). However, it was about the same to a tad higher then me going down to my FFL and shipping. All worth checking into for sure though!!
Old 07-31-2019, 09:24 AM   #7

I would use FedEx around here because they pickup at the house. The UPS hub is about 20 miles away and doesn’t open until after 2 or 3 pm. Whoever you use make sure you have a RMA.
427malibu likes this.
JC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:00 AM   #8

Your are right about that JC. There hours up here really stink. We must be talking about the same one on 209.
JC45 likes this.
427malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:39 AM   #9

Sounds like Taurus.

Ship via FedEx Office if you have one. I've used them for firearms/silencers. The UPS Store franchise operators won't ship guns or gun parts. A UPS hub will accept guns but my first choice would be FedEx Office. Last time I shipped a silencer (no different than any other firearm as far as class) was about three years ago and cost around $20.

Be sure to read instructions for shipping, particularly not shipped in a box with gun markings on the outside. You don't need to use an FFL to ship it for you because you're sending it to a manufacture.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 07-31-2019 at 10:54 AM.
ChattanoogaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:43 PM   #10

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
You don't need to use an FFL to ship it for you because you're sending it to a manufacture.
Sometimes it's cheaper though. I was going to use FedEx and they require it be overnighted if it's a gun. From FL to CO it was going to be $120 The website above was a little less than 1/2 that. Through my FFL, I believe they charged $30 to ship plus their transfer fee... I think it was $55 total. Again, less than 1/2 of FedEx. Bottom line is, depending on how far you're shipping it, it's best to look into more than one option.
ChattanoogaPhil likes this.